Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 155

Author Topic: [0.97a] Industrial.Evolution 3.3.e - Campaign content expansion  (Read 1236236 times)

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Industrial.Evolution 1.8.c - Colony content expansion
« Reply #465 on: November 29, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »

1. Is there any way to know how many ships you need before you can do a full reverse engineering project?  Preferably without needing to build the reverse-engineering building first.
cap/cruiser/dest/frig 3/3/4/5
2. Is the intention of reverse-engineering purely for flavor reasons to add ships to your faction's navies?  It seems that you need five ship hulls to do reverse-engineering and I'm not sure of any situations where a player would need more than five of any given ship for their own fleets.
It's intended as addition to the combat/salvage gameplay loop, to give ships you'd otherwise scrap a use. Also, anything you can come up with.
3. Is there any way to know if you can make use of an ancient ruin building without building it first?
No.
4. If you do find that you have no use for an ancient ruin, is the ruin suppose to disappear if you shut down the building you made from it?  Say in case you don't want to pay for maintenance at the moment, but might want it back in 5-10 cycles?
Ruins are ancient, advanced pieces of tech on a planet, that can no longer be built with post-collapse knowledge. Nuking one means permanent removal.
5. Is a combination of 10 buildings and industries (not including population + spaceport) a hard limit on building things on planets?
That is the vanilla cap, yes. Can't be changed, it's hardcoded.
6. Does a variable assembler produce automatically exported resources to make up for its maintenance cost?  How many units does each variant produce?
It's not supposed to make up for its' maintenance cost, but it sometimes does under good circumstances. Assembler produces less than Manufactory, exact numbers don't matter - it's enough to be generally worth it.
7. How long does it take for a restoration dock to remove a D-mod?
month tick over
8. Can salvage yards be used instead of heavy industry for custom production and to give my faction doctrine fleets?
probably not - it's supposed to supplement, not replace.
9. Do any of the buildings waive their maintenance costs by default if they are not in active use?
check the AI core effects

Thank you.

So salvage yards aren't really useful unless I'm doing a lot of wars or have the money to buy many copies of the ship I want to reverse engineer.  Without any kind of passive gain and the massive number of extra ships added from other mods, I simply can't make use of it this early in the game.  I can at least use a gamma core to put the thing into a partial sleep mode in case an opportunity comes up unless I end up needing the building slot.

I'll have to demolish this ruin then.  The ancient lab is doing nothing but cost me money and I can't get rid of the maintenance cost.  I need the building slot anyway.  At least I now know not to touch the ancient ruins until very late in the game with an extensive faction.  Digging that place out was one of the very first things I spent money on colony wise.

Luckily I haven't finished my variable assembler yet, so I can cancel that for a full refund.  Glad I asked about it's payback rate.

Restoration dock is worth getting then.  One month per d-mod and paying only for the maintenance is something I can actually use at this stage of the game.

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 29, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »

- Luckily I haven't finished my variable assembler yet, so I can cancel that for a full refund.  Glad I asked about it's payback rate.
You are aware that the Assembler deposits Commodities into storage, though? The exports might not make up for the upkeep, but the total output is very much positive. If you play a pure numbers game, it's the best thing you can build bar none - since it's a structure, not an industry.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 29, 2020, 02:18:02 PM »

- Luckily I haven't finished my variable assembler yet, so I can cancel that for a full refund.  Glad I asked about it's payback rate.
You are aware that the Assembler deposits Commodities into storage, though? The exports might not make up for the upkeep, but the total output is very much positive. If you play a pure numbers game, it's the best thing you can build bar none - since it's a structure, not an industry.
I really don't like doing trade in games like this, so unless it earns money automatically I don't want to deal with it.

EDIT: You also can't get a full refund from cancelling construction... the tooltip lies!  I guess I may as well let it finish and produce some heavy machinery until the heavy industry is done.  It makes no difference on the refund when I shut it down.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:56:07 PM by Twilight Sentinel »

brekmehrkus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2020, 11:09:45 AM »

I really don't like doing trade in games like this, so unless it earns money automatically I don't want to deal with it.

I found a VPC that makes supplies AND fuel and put an assembler on one of the colonies near the center of the sector, it alone makes enough to satisfy 50% of my fleet's supply and 20% of fuel needs per month. I don't really need more since I get more fuel than I can use from salvage and I have more VPCs just making supplies in other places.

Variable fabricators are actually much more beneficial than they initially look, they create a lot of demand (e.g. supplies+fuel VPC needs volatiles, metals and transplutonics while the fabricator itself needs machinery - four different commodities) and significantly raise market capitalization which means that your exports will bring more money. VPCs are also good for earning money from those trade missions since they keep accumulating goods forever and you only need to remember about them when you find a mission worth pursuing. E.g. was passing by Atzlan in hyperspace when it gave me a mission to bring 8k of some commodity to Chicomoztoc for 500k money, would be great if I had a VPC stockpiling that stuff somewhere - no way I was getting that much stuff from normal markets in 40 days - but alas.

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »

I feel so tired and so broken.

The restoration dock does not only cost maintenance, it still costs 50% of the restoration cost with the ability to get a small discount with a beta AI core.  It also does not restore exactly 1 d-mod per month.  What's worse is that this information is actually told to you in the tooltip, but not until after the building has been constructed.  I just don't understand why.  Why is this mod so incredibly unfriendly to new players?  Why is nothing explained in game before you commit to building it?  I like so much of what this mod adds, but I have no idea how to use it.  I've wasted at a minimum 600,000 credits in my game just trying to figure it out.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 01, 2020, 05:41:00 PM »

The mod OP explains quite a bit actually, and if you took a trip to any of the existing yards you'd have gotten a lot of answers without spending a cent.

Nova Maxios and Kazerion are both relatively easy to poke around to and check, as is Chicomoztoc if you haven't *** the Hegemony off.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

TiberQ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 02, 2020, 04:24:02 AM »

Bug:

Spoiler
8441122 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error saving game
8441123 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  -
java.lang.StackOverflowError
   at java.nio.CharBuffer.arrayOffset(Unknown Source)
   at sun.nio.cs.UTF_8.updatePositions(Unknown Source)
   at sun.nio.cs.UTF_8$Encoder.encodeArrayLoop(Unknown Source)
   at sun.nio.cs.UTF_8$Encoder.encodeLoop(Unknown Source)
   at java.nio.charset.CharsetEncoder.encode(Unknown Source)
   at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.implWrite(Unknown Source)
   at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.write(Unknown Source)
   at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.write(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.stream.writers.XMLStreamWriterImpl.closeStartTag(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.stream.writers.XMLStreamWriterImpl.writeCharacters(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.txw2.output.DelegatingXMLStreamWriter.writeCharacters(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.txw2.output.IndentingXMLStreamWriter.onStartElement(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.txw2.output.IndentingXMLStreamWriter.writeStartElement(Unknown Source)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.StaxWriter.startNode(StaxWriter.java:191)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.AbstractWriter.startNode(AbstractWriter.java:53)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.WriterWrapper.startNode(WriterWrapper.java:33)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTrackingWriter.startNode(PathTrackingWriter.java:44)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.ExtendedHierarchicalStreamWriterHelper.startNode(ExtendedHierarchicalStreamWriterHelper.java:17)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:224)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.<init>
[close]

TiberQ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 02, 2020, 04:26:49 AM »

Bug after trying to remove the building in question: kieka at an Astropolish station.
Station was around large gas planet, whit planetary asteroids, whit plantes (close but close enuf)

Spoiler
9207912 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error saving game
9207912 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  -
   at com.sun.xml.internal.stream.writers.XMLStreamWriterImpl.closeStartTag(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.stream.writers.XMLStreamWriterImpl.writeCharacters(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.txw2.output.DelegatingXMLStreamWriter.writeCharacters(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.txw2.output.IndentingXMLStreamWriter.onStartElement(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.xml.internal.txw2.output.IndentingXMLStreamWriter.writeStartElement(Unknown Source)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTrackingWriter.startNode(PathTrackingWriter.java:44)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.ExtendedHierarchicalStreamWriterHelper.startNode(ExtendedHierarchicalStreamWriterHelper.java:17)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:224)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.<init>(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:213)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doMa rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:144)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:90)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:69)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:58)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:84)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:274)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:250)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.<init>(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:213)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doMa rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:144)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:90)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:69)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:58)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:43)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:88)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.wri teIt
[close]

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 02, 2020, 04:45:44 AM »

I just don't understand why.  Why is this mod so incredibly unfriendly to new players?
As CJuicy said, there is a 6000 word FAQ in the OP. Tooltips allow for a very limited amount of info, and players generally don't read, so keeping it short and abstract is preferred to total information overload. This is especially important since most of the stuff in this mod is rather complex compared to vanilla industries, and players should engage with it and find out on their own - too much info leads to a reduction in engagement, which is not desireable.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with this, but I account for the average, not the outlier.

Bug:

Spoiler
8441122 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error saving game
8441123 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  -
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.<init>
[close]
Not my fault, you are running too many mods for your PC specs or have not increased RAM allocation, or both.

Bug after trying to remove the building in question: kieka at an Astropolish station.
Station was around large gas planet, whit planetary asteroids, whit plantes (close but close enuf)

Spoiler
9207912 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error saving game
9207912 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  -
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:84)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:274)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:250)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:43)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:88)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.wri teIt
[close]

Astropolis and Kletka are Terraforming and station construction.
Also, that's the exact same error as you posted before - see my first response about too many mods.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 02, 2020, 10:05:35 AM »

I feel so tired and so broken.

The restoration dock does not only cost maintenance, it still costs 50% of the restoration cost with the ability to get a small discount with a beta AI core.  It also does not restore exactly 1 d-mod per month.  What's worse is that this information is actually told to you in the tooltip, but not until after the building has been constructed.  I just don't understand why.  Why is this mod so incredibly unfriendly to new players?  Why is nothing explained in game before you commit to building it?  I like so much of what this mod adds, but I have no idea how to use it.  I've wasted at a minimum 600,000 credits in my game just trying to figure it out.
Yeah, you're right, some industries and structure have little and sometimes vague tool tips, but then again, i don't think both of us want to read 3 paragraph of info dump that explain what actually going on in game, the industry and structure on this mod is too complex compare to vanilla one but that the selling point of this mod so don't expect simple demand and produce industries.

SirHartley spend mind, time, and effort to make this mod full of content, let us do our part and read the damn FAQ or start the game with console command active to play around untill we actually understand how everything work in this mod.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

TiberQ

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 02, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »

Astropolis and Kletka are Terraforming and station construction.
Also, that's the exact same error as you posted before - see my first response about too many mods.

Oh crap, your right, totally my fault.
I have been using Station construction for so long in one form or another i kinda forgot it was in the list. ( And therefore wrongfully assumed it was one of my latest additions... namely this great mod of yours ;- )

Anyway, console command says i am ok on Ram use:

Still, problems dint crop up till i started using this one .... might be some kind of incompatibility tho, guess i gonna have to look a bit closer to things.

PS Jungle world + a certain Park + Beta Core = Dino Riders ! ;-p
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:55:27 AM by TiberQ »

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 04, 2020, 07:12:41 AM »

So huh, i try reverse engineering some modded ship, i already write their ID including the capital word, but they still cannot be reverse engineered.
Spoiler
tahlan_Castella
tahlan_Castella_lp
tahlan_Castella_pirates

tahlan_Hresvelgr
tahlan_Hresvelgr_p

tahlan_Nibelung

tahlan_sateen
tahlan_gown

vayra_tyrant
vayra_tyrant_lp

swp_chronos
swp_liberator
swp_liberator_luddic_church
swp_victory
swp_cathedral
[close]
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

LeStinke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 06, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »

Hey, I don't want to be that guy who gets on here to bother the author about previous versions of the mod but I ran into an issue, I recently started a new game and of course didn't check for mod updates, I'm on 1.7d and I just built a whole ass space station so I could build another privateer base, as there wasn't any mention in the description that I was only limited to 1 per system, but it seems that I can't build a second one, is there a something I can do about it or do I just need to give up my save and update to the new version? Privateering was kinda the whole theme of my playthrough so that's a bit of a deal breaker for me, not a big deal all in all but I'd rather not start a new game again if I can avoid it.

Again, sorry for being that guy, I should have checked for updates before spending a dozen hours on a new game but I was too preoccupied planning my vast and totally legal Pirate Empire.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:28:14 PM by LeStinke »

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 07, 2020, 05:56:41 AM »

You can use console command when visiting your planet "AddIndustry Privateer" and then use "Addcredits -250000" to take your credits.

NDogmeat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 07, 2020, 06:27:08 AM »

First of all, thank you so much for this amazing mod.
I need your help with something. I started a new game specifically because I installed Industrial Evolution and I was fortunate enough to pick up a few salvages on the first few weeks. I put them on a Dock to get rid of DMods, I was then informed that they were ready, I got to the planet and... I have no idea where the ships are. And the Docks seem to have gone! I swear I'm on the right planet.
Am I missing something - other than the ships? :)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 155