Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebind keys  (Read 889 times)

RXotPkogMtvVU0xS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Rebind keys
« on: February 17, 2020, 05:55:11 AM »

Could we get the option to rebind keys for the main view?
(Character/Fleet/Refit/Crew etc)

RXotPkogMtvVU0xS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Rebind keys
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 01:39:14 AM »

I'm just puzzled why this set of keys can not be rebound. As software developers selling to an international market, surely you must be aware that there are all sorts of users. Right-handed, left-handed, differently-abled, using any keyboard layout. It's a certainty that the default keys are not going to be ergonomic for a significant portion of the users.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 02:12:58 AM »

I'm sure the reason that still hasn't come is that those keys can be simply mouse clicked, you're not forced to use hotkeys. But yeah they should be rebindable, Alex will probably implement that sometime, don't worry.
Please don't take me too seriously.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 06:23:22 AM »

If a section of code is looking for a keyboard input, chances are it can look for a remapped keyboard input. There is one cute tale of an online streamer who was doing challenge runs on a game. The challenge mode prohibited pausing the game, however the middle mouse button paused the game. It was also the only button in the game that couldn't be rebound, for whatever reason. So he was stuck with altering the button configs through his system registry settings instead.  ::)