Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: More tiers on bounties  (Read 3472 times)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More tiers on bounties
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 06:26:51 AM »

Safety Procedures 3 was the skill to reduce the effect of d-mods by 50% which I was looking for. I usually get it to nullify supply loss during emergency burn and forgot about its other effect. Still, if a ship with all d-mods is 70% of its combat power, then with Safety Procedures 3, it is now 85% of its combat power. Either way it is unlikely to see combat when fighting the highest bounties, except as a way to shift the DP allocation towards your favour. Until then they are useful to recover, especially if you don't have the officers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:39:31 AM by Plantissue »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 09:00:18 AM »

Disliking something doesn't mean it no longer exists. The high valued capital loot is definitely there, rejecting it is just kind of like your opinion on the matter. Besides, any kind of bounties, missions and loot are completely irrelevant when you've reached paragon mass production endgame. Nothing can hold up against it.

The point is that the value of salvageable ships depends on context. A bounty that drops 100 pristine recoverable hammerheads is not the same as paying you 9mil because you can't actually take or use the hammerheads. That is not my opinion, that's a consequence of the game mechanics (limited battle size, fleet cap, and officer cap). Another way of saying this is that there are diminishing returns on having more ships. The first time you get offered a ship, it is valuable, but the 3rd or 4th time you're offered 3 onslaughts as a fight reward they're just not worth anything anymore because you already have as many onslaughts as you can use. Different people have different limits on how many ships they think are useful, but the deployment and officer cap keep that number pretty low for capital ships and cruisers. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that if you're actually using bounties for income (i.e. grinding lots of them), you're going to be offered many many more ships than you can actually use (or want to use), so they're just not that valuable. I'm not saying there's no value, I'm saying the value decreases after only a few bounties because you will have what you want/need, so it's very different from just paying you cash.

Another point I was trying to make is that in my experience, at the point in the game where I am capable of fighting the highest tier bounties comfortably, the capital ships are no longer valuable to me because I already have the ships I need. Beating one of those bounties with a fleet that doesn't already have multiple capitals is very very difficult (I've only done it once with a cruiser only fleet and it cost me all of my cr on every ship and a few loses as well). In my experience the capital ships rewards are not valuable to a fleet that can beat the bounties comfortably. Maybe other people have different experiences but that is mine.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »

In my experience the capital ships rewards are not valuable to a fleet that can beat the bounties comfortably. Maybe other people have different experiences but that is mine.
Same.  During the time I loot capitals, I cannot easily defeat high-end bounties without losses, and attacking them for the money is a foolish risk (but sometimes one I take because I am desperate for money).

Once I have a fleet that can crush high-end bounties, I do not need to loot more ships (except for more hauling capacity in a pinch) because I have Orbital Works, nanoforge, and most if not all blueprint to produce whatever pristine ships and weapons I want, whenever I want at discount prices.  I do not want clunkers when I can have pristine neon knights instead.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:23:21 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 2 [3]