Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 275

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Uomoz's Sector: Journey 1.3 [upd.17\05] *New video in the OP!*  (Read 1560141 times)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Uomoz's Sector: Journey 1.3 [upd.17\05] *New video in the OP!*
« Reply #3825 on: June 21, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »

when I try to get that working it just crashes a bunch

in the game I ended up giving up on today I was flying some kind of destroyer with a  reaper beam laser thing, using a junker station to attack from, but I was having such a hard time fighting the neiboring mayorates that after every battle my ship would eat around 80 supply and was just completely unsustainable,  even with a full cargo after one fight I would end up running out of supply before even making it all the way back to the junker base. their gunship guns are crazy strong, maby I will just try to play as them instead

Challenging the Mayorate early game is suicidal, even more when you try it with a Junk Pirate ship, no wonder you get slaughtered.

Starting first with a faction seems easier to me, you can directly buy ships and weapons for your fleet. When you have one or two destroyers and start having trouble dealing with the supply cost, you can leave the faction and take the voidwalker station (don't forget to take all your stuffs you left at the previous station or else it will be lost).

The easiest to me was to start with a low-tech faction. Supply cost won't penalize you as much as higher-tech factions like BRDY or TTs. Getting an early carrier with a bunch of Talons and Thunders (Thunders are good enough bomber early to mid game, Talons to swarm the enemies ships, Foxbats are pretty good cannon fodder too.) can give you easy victories against most enemies. The good thing with fighter is that you won't lose them even if they get destroyed during the battle, which is a huge deal as losing even one frigate hurt a lot. You won't level up as fast though (as losing ships give you additional exp).

I like to get my early skill points in technology, getting Navigation perks is pretty much vital as everyone will try to murder you. Computer systems and mechanical engineering also give your fleet some precious OPs for your ships. Construction is good too, especially if you field a lot of low-tech fighters. Don't get field repairs as it will drain your supplies faster, trying to repair your ships. It's usually better to avoid combat until you get back to your station for repair.

You'll also be forced to take leadership after you reach a certain amount of ships in your fleet. Fleet logistic is absolutely needed, the two others, not so much.

I usually don't like the combat skill tree. Sure it will make your flagship an absolute monster but it won't benefit the rest of your fleet and you can't solo most fleets, especially early game when you don't have a lot of perks.

Also choose carefully your targets. Pirates and independents are easy prey early game as their ships aren't very armed or shielded. Low-tech factions are usually without surprise while high-tech tends to have toys very hard to deal with (phase ships, teleporters...) at the beginning.

A bit outdated (no more foxbats in the campaign) and getting your hands on some fighters is harder than before (you have to get the fighter AND the carrier for them to work).

Hounds, Foxhounds, Cerberus and Lashers are still extremely cost efficient ships early to mid game. Don't bother with their TuP variant (other than the Foxhound), they have less OPs, which is a huge handicap early on.

When you farmed enough weapons and blueprints, ditch the faction you joined and activate the Void Walker station. The VW station is better than faction's stations when you need more supplies but it won't produce any weapons for your fleet.

obo

• Ensign
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: June 21, 2014, 03:45:26 PM »

I really like this mod , i have just a general question. I have difficulties to get new ships or see new ship hulls and there arent many available. How exactly does that work? Is this a question if ingame economy?

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: June 21, 2014, 11:50:54 PM »

Independents only sell non-military upto destroyer class ships for the most part. Use blueprints/join a faction for better ships.

obo

• Ensign
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: June 22, 2014, 04:12:46 AM »

I know this but this is not what i was asking for. I tried several factions and i play this game since 2 years. Its a general question when some ship hulls are available in game. When i join the hegemony or tri tachyon i will never see all ship designs from the start. Thats why i wonder.

And with the blueprints, for me they seem buggy or i missed something. I have all the materials in my hangar but it shows still in red 0/8 ect. How does that really work?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:15:00 AM by obo »

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: June 22, 2014, 05:28:08 AM »

BP materials must be in your cargo i think, same with turning stuff into supplies at VW. I think Uomoz has made ships even at faction stations a bit rarer too, to create a use what you can find dynamic.

Auraknight

• Commander
  • I am a Knight of Aura.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: June 22, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »

I really like this mod, Have for a long time!
I also love the recent addtion of shaders.
However, where as I could easily play the game endlessly without problem before,
with shaderlib the game occassionally get choppy, or freezes outright.
Slowdowns are sometimes uncomfortably frequent.
Is there any ways to lessen this?
and is there any hope of getting a Shaderlib-free update path for people who just outright can't run with it?
(Or maybe a checkbox in-game to at least disable the features, so it's still running, but not really?)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:48:05 PM by Auraknight »
~Aura be with you

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: June 22, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »

Yeah, you can disable shaderlib, from the settings.json file located within the shaderlib mod directory.

change enableShaders:true to enableShaders:false, and you will be running shaderlib without it doing anything.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Auraknight

• Commander
  • I am a Knight of Aura.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: June 22, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »

Yeah, you can disable shaderlib, from the settings.json file located within the shaderlib mod directory.

change enableShaders:true to enableShaders:false, and you will be running shaderlib without it doing anything.
Oooh, Thank you kind sir!
~Aura be with you

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: June 23, 2014, 04:08:25 AM »

This mod is pretty great, except for the part where it isn't: supplies. so damned expensive, so necessary to do anything at all. I find it impossible to make a living as a TT vassal, it's simply too far away from anything so you chew through all your supplies going anywhere. Even with only two frigates. Also, bounties will go MIA by the time you get halfway to them. Switched over to Hegemon and I've built up 100k of cash reserves and added a Hound freighter by level 4, where I was barely self-sustaining with TT.

Thanks for the heads up.

Getting Out of memory errors loading save files even with 1024MB dedicated for it. :\

Bumped it to 2gb and still out of memory man. Have 8 on my system. Task Manager shows me it's using 1.16GB of RAM and about 90% of my CPU for a solid minute while it hangs.

I don't know what's truth or fiction anymore: editing with notepad++ tells me it's set for 2GB, Task Manager shows over 1GB, but looking at it through notepad (default) it's still at 512, and the .log never seems to go above 470 or so.

SOLUTION: Notepad++ is a liar. Went to properties, gave myself permissions again (forgot I didn't have them this time, since I reinstalled) and the edit finally went through (Notepad). The game loaded up fine.

Here's my .log

Spoiler
70989 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\saves\save_Zorna_9221251533965390220...
109994 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error loading
110145 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
   at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.StringBuffer.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.peekElement(PathTracker.java:131)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.getPath(PathTracker.java:169)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.ReferenceByXPathUnmarshaller.getCurrentReferenceK ey(ReferenceByXPathUnmarshaller.java:41)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:63)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unma rshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:355)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUn marshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:306)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unma rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:234)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unma rshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:355)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUn marshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:306)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unma rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:234)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:50)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.rea dItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:71)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.addCurrentE lementToCollection(CollectionConverter.java:79)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCol lection(CollectionConverter.java:72)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.populateCol lection(CollectionConverter.java:66)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.unmarshal(CollectionConverter.java:61)
[close]

I installed 64-bit java, but it simply crashed java to the desktop entirely. Not an improvement.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:01:32 AM by cardgame »

adecoy95

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: June 23, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »

does techmining work? i saw some ships that say they are designed for that but i dont see the option to do that on planets, i assume thats something leftover like with the mining fighters?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:30:37 PM by adecoy95 »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: June 23, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »

Yes, it does.  You have to get a Planetary Scanner (I think) from one of the Research Stations.  Go up to a planet, get the dialog, and use the Planetary Scanner.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

adecoy95

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: June 23, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »

Yes, it does.  You have to get a Planetary Scanner (I think) from one of the Research Stations.  Go up to a planet, get the dialog, and use the Planetary Scanner.

oh ok, thanks

Mr5by5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: June 23, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »

Is there any way to implement a "Discard" option for those pesky unsellable Wing blueprints like Mining Pods?  That is about the ONLY complaint I have with your awesome mod!  I am fortunate to have a soundtrack CD from the original "Total Annihilation" game, and have added the tracks to your music list for the ambient and the battle music after converting them to ogg files, which really adds to the experience.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 23, 2014, 11:22:42 PM »

Is there any way to implement a "Discard" option for those pesky unsellable Wing blueprints like Mining Pods?  That is about the ONLY complaint I have with your awesome mod!  I am fortunate to have a soundtrack CD from the original "Total Annihilation" game, and have added the tracks to your music list for the ambient and the battle music after converting them to ogg files, which really adds to the experience.

Same..

Though I would also venture to say I think the supplies might be a little bit on the expensive side.. I can't seem to ever make enough money to cover my supply cost, and I can't find where to modify the value of them for myself, the Resources.csv only has the ship components in it..
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: June 24, 2014, 02:07:31 AM »

Same..

Though I would also venture to say I think the supplies might be a little bit on the expensive side.. I can't seem to ever make enough money to cover my supply cost, and I can't find where to modify the value of them for myself, the Resources.csv only has the ship components in it..

It's actually quite easy to print cash once you get some blueprints or a rich enough sector with easy bounties/foes in general. Sell off all the electronics and scrap until you get a Cerberus frigate, which you can build in a day and sell for 10k. You should be doing fine at lower levels just off scrapping your foes, but the real money is in the blueprints and good bounties.

Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 275