Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Various UI/UX wishes  (Read 2172 times)

Jinnigan

• Ensign
  • as our gallop meets the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Various UI/UX wishes
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 04:40:27 AM »

Ah - I understand what you mean, but I don't think it's actually possible. There are too many types of tags, and tags are not restricted to a specific set. So the game kind of compromises by having some common ones be fixed, and leaving room for the rest, which are arbitrary.
Can exploration, missions, and bounties be added to the list of common fixed tags?

Jinnigan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 05:47:12 AM »

Stellaris is quite a different game (and Paradox Games in general) but their map screen is pretty robust. It might be worth taking a look for some inspiration!

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 07:42:53 AM »

I'm not sure if this counts as UI, but fighters hogging the 'target' mode when you're trying to target an enemy underneath a swarm is just infuriating. I don't find targeting of fighters at all useful and would prefer it to be removed. Or at least made secondary to ships, i.e. targeting fighters only with successive key presses.

Jinnigan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 11:16:23 AM »

I am just imagining different use cases and examples, but if the star map and intel map were unified (eg one map that shows different information) one cool thing would be to 'pin' different pieces of intel (using middle mouse click?) Maybe I want to track 2 bounties, an exploration, and a couple of convoys - then I can pin all of this and move over to the travel screen, where i can then plot a path that will efficiently take me through all of them.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 01:45:45 PM »

Can exploration, missions, and bounties be added to the list of common fixed tags?

Missions and bounties kind of are, except that if other "fixed order" tags before them that don't have any intel items and aren't shown, their position shifts. Hmm... I'm not super keen on having a lot of empty tags, either. Will think about it, though.

I am just imagining different use cases and examples, but if the star map and intel map were unified (eg one map that shows different information) one cool thing would be to 'pin' different pieces of intel (using middle mouse click?) Maybe I want to track 2 bounties, an exploration, and a couple of convoys - then I can pin all of this and move over to the travel screen, where i can then plot a path that will efficiently take me through all of them.

The idea is that you can use the intel map to do that, that's a large part of why it exists, and why it optionally shows a fuel range indicator. Is there a reason why you're prefer the dedicated map screen over it? Especially considering you'd need to pin (and probably then un-pin, to clean up) things?

I'm not sure if this counts as UI, but fighters hogging the 'target' mode when you're trying to target an enemy underneath a swarm is just infuriating. I don't find targeting of fighters at all useful and would prefer it to be removed. Or at least made secondary to ships, i.e. targeting fighters only with successive key presses.

(This is actually changed in the next release, ships will get priority.)

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »

I wish for a general color change of the full UI if I'm over fuel/Crew/Cargo Capacity.
And a decent warning if I have less than 1 month supplies.

And I want the transponder pop up if using Transverse Jump to a NPC controlled system, like I get it for jumppoints.

A fluxmeter next to the cursor.

More Weapon groups.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:35:49 PM by ubuntufreakdragon »

goroth obarskyr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »

Hello friends,

I just started playing Starsector (i.e. just addicted). I made an account here on the forum specifically to talk about what is being discussed here in this thread. As a former graphic designer I found the map/intel screens very confusing initially for two reasons:

1) The maps look different? Starscape map toggle was not clear to me and I thought that navigation and intel screens just had two different looking maps. IMO having a toggle that has no new information and simply changes the way the map looks is confusing. I feel like the non-starscape map is more readable/intuitive and the game should only have that one.

2) Setting course via the Intel map screen. I thought that you had to set course to other star systems through the intel screen. When I started I intuitively just started clicking around the UI and discovered this, so I thought that's how you did it. It's a shorter path through the UI than going to map screen to hit Q/W for sector map. This feature is convenient, however from the perspective of how people learn the game UI, you probably want the hierarchy to be Map->Navigation rather than Intel->Navigation.

Other minor criticisms are that I think the "Refit" screen should be consolidated under "Fleet", and "Income" should be its own category on the main screen instead of under "Command". Multiple times I was on the fleet screen thinking "ok how do I refit my ships again, oh yeah it's a separate entity". Multiple times I found myself mousing over available credits or clicking around thinking "where do I see my income/expenses again?".
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:09:55 PM by goroth obarskyr »

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 12:04:02 PM »

1) The maps look different? Starscape map toggle was not clear to me and I thought that navigation and intel screens just had two different looking maps. IMO having a toggle that has no new information and simply changes the way the map looks is confusing. I feel like the non-starscape map is more readable/intuitive and the game should only have that one.

to clarify, the starscape is (roughly) were the deep hyperspace is

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 01:52:31 PM »

Other way, pedro. Starscape is the stylish/realistic looking version of the map. Non-starscape is the one that shows the hyperspace clouds (and fleets, etc.)
Pages: 1 [2]