Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Star Promenade || Minimod || Release 02/12 [YRXP/YREX]  (Read 12907 times)

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Star Promenade || Minimod || Release 02/12 [YRXP/YREX]
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:46:32 AM »

I. Summary

Adds the titular ship, the Star Promenade-class capital ship for Caparice Trade Co. It comes with the YREX Forge Ship hullmod and a special automatic defense platform that turns to face enemies that try to flank the ship. Unfortunately, the platform's rails do not cover the front of the ship, so, ironically, the ship is weaker frontally compared to any other direction. As with most Yuri ships, it is unshielded, though the defense platform does have an Imported Shield Generator.

Both the ship and the defense platform are fully customizable. To select the defense platform, hover your mouse around the center of the core ship until you see the defense platform highlighting. That is where the platform's center is set so it can perform its rotation properly and so, it cannot be helped...

II. The Ship

[Orbital Venue] Star Promenade
by HELMUT (recolored)

III. Anticipated Questions

Q: Why is this a separate mod?
A: Because it can't go in either YRXP or YREX without making the mods require each other.

Q: Can I play with just this mod?
A: No, because the Forge Ship hullmod is in YREX and the Ship Mall hullmod is in YRXP. Not to mention the logic for the ship's defense module is part of YRXP's codebase.

IV. Special Thanks:

Borrowed sprites:
HELMUT (both the Star Promenade and its defense platform)

Decals by Harukawa Moe

Paint texture by mitsu
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:46:42 PM by creature »

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Star Promenade || Minimod || Release 02/12 [YRXP/YREX]
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »

Heh, I love that sneaky anime girl on the hull, anyways I will have to try out Yrex in my next save.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 06:44:26 PM »

Heh, I love that sneaky anime girl on the hull, anyways I will have to try out Yrex in my next save.
Glad you like her! It’s Kawashiro Nitori from Touhou, drawn by Harukawa Moe for, iirc, Antimony of Common Flowers or another spin off!

I hope you enjoy the mod!

CountV

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »

Hi, I've just tried this ship out, but the defence platform doesn't seem to rotate itself towards the enemy for what feels 80% of the time. It'll activate it's shield and everything, but it'll just stay where it was relative to the main ship body even if there's nothing there.

I thought it might be a problem of range, but even when I edited a targeting supercomputer onto the platform and gave it long-ranged weapons, it still just doesn't rotate towards enemies most of the time. (Also, Fireweed chainmine with targeting supercomputer is hilarious)

It's not the front facing thing either, I've tried going at ships sideways, but the platform still only moves occasionally.

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 02:16:39 AM »

Hi, I've just tried this ship out, but the defence platform doesn't seem to rotate itself towards the enemy for what feels 80% of the time. It'll activate it's shield and everything, but it'll just stay where it was relative to the main ship body even if there's nothing there.

I thought it might be a problem of range, but even when I edited a targeting supercomputer onto the platform and gave it long-ranged weapons, it still just doesn't rotate towards enemies most of the time. (Also, Fireweed chainmine with targeting supercomputer is hilarious)

It's not the front facing thing either, I've tried going at ships sideways, but the platform still only moves occasionally.
Thanks for the report I'll give it a check eventually.

For now I'll give you a rundown of how the platform works. It is programmed to face the nearest enemy that it is able to face in its envelope. That's a 270 degree angle that isn't directly in front of the ship. You can try it out by spawning 2 lashers in sim who'll try to flank you. Oh, and fudging the range won't work because it has a hard-coded engagement range of 3000, more than enough for all existing weapons for its size + bonuses. As for missiles, most of them with more than 3000 range is homing anyway and can launch even when facing away. It's a bit slow to turn, but you can supplement that by your own turn speed. You can see that is what I do in the demo when I face about 90 degrees right so the platform can turn towards enemies. It also is programmed to prioritize larger ships over smaller ones, but I believe range plays a bigger role in its decision making.

CountV

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:54:03 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for the response and the breakdown on the platform's AI, yeah I've tried going at enemy ships while presenting the sides of the main ship towards them, the platform sometimes still doesn't track enemies and just sits still facing nothing.

I've ended relegating this to a more support role in my fleets, especially since the AI seems to fly this ship frontally towards enemies, where the defence platform wouldn't even be able to rotate to.

Still, this is a pretty cool idea for a ship, I don't think I've seen anything similar. (Modular ships are relatively common in mods, but I don't think I've seen this sort of semi-autonomous design elsewhere)

Thanks for everything!

Iriscoral

• Lieutenant
  • Defiance against the violent enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »

Good choice of the mechanic kappa for the paint job, but I think you would want to blend it more carefully into the hull. Its a little too striking.
Translator and (wannabe) game dev.
Currently curates the CN mod repo.

Mods maintained:
Polaris
ICE
FSF
Traverser

creature

• Captain
    • View Profile

Minor Update 0.2.0

- Added the Forge Ship and Interstellar Mall as starting items for Caparice Trade Co. if you have Nexerelin

Dynamod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 04:02:51 PM »

How do you find the promenade? I haven't seen it at all in either of my runs.

Dynamod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »

Nevermind! I found it within the bazaar as a blueprint! (huzzah!)