Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: System Administrators  (Read 4092 times)

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
System Administrators
« on: February 11, 2020, 11:06:52 PM »

Is there a mod that allows the player or an Administrator or AI to administer all colonies in the same system without penalty? Is such a thing even possible?

When i colonize a system, I want to do it thoroughly as I take great pleasure at seeing a previously uninhabited system fill with traders, smugglers and patrols. However, I can't really do that with so few admins to work with. I think a solution like this would work quite elegantly.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 11:12:10 PM by StarScum »

KCR

• Lieutenant
  • If it's not fun, why bother?
    • View Profile
Re: System Administrators
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 01:58:55 AM »

Well, technically, you can put Alphas on every planet in that system and pretend that it's one big Pentium that rules them all. Or you can go even higher and put Alphas on all your systems and pretend that this one supercomputer is now ruling the galaxy. But, ye, i've come across the same problem. After capturing markets (with Nex), i some time forget to rearrange administrators for them and it's strikes me after. It will be cool enough to make 1 administrator rule some system/s (like in Stellaris, where you can create a sector and arrange one guy to rule a bunch of planets).

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:21:46 AM »

Honestly the NPC Administrators are basically the shallowest bit of Starsector. They have zero or two related skills, while many PCs will have maxed the three relevant skills. It makes the PC look like the only capable person capable of great administration in the universe. I would love to hack this part out of the game or otherwise make it irrelevant.

Check out my dead thread on the subject.  ;D
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17713.msg278495#msg278495

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:08:29 AM »

Just to be clear, I dont want admins to pretend like they run all the planets in a sector, I want them to actually manage an entire sector.

ranprieur

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »

Honestly the NPC Administrators are basically the shallowest bit of Starsector.

This is number one on my wish list for mods or future versions. If human admins could uplevel like ship officers, they would become truly competitive with AI admins. AI's would be better at first, but if you invest in humans, they should eventually surpass AI's.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »

That's pretty unrealistic if you think about it. Today, with modern technology, AI far surpasses the capabilities of any one human to administrate and appears set to increase as more and more information is processed by the likes of China and Google and Amazon and Facebook.

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 03:36:02 AM »

That's pretty unrealistic if you think about it. Today, with modern technology, AI far surpasses the capabilities of any one human to administrate and appears set to increase as more and more information is processed by the likes of China and Google and Amazon and Facebook.

Are those AI cores? Seriously though, while "big data" is made available by fancy computers, it's clever humans that have to interpret that data. Also using AI cores forces you to go to war ultimately with certain factions, limiting your options late game, every game.

Starsector has great bone structure, but it needs more meat.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 05:37:47 AM »

Well, no they aren't AI cores, because AI cores is a work of fiction.

So what's your point? That AI cannot possibly interpret data but humans can? Already for interpretating data like facial recognition, are AI used with little oversight by humans, precisely because that AI is better and faster than any one human, and better than employing teams of humans.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 06:01:26 AM »

Well. In the game lore, humanity has already reached the stars and developed tech that's even FASTER than hyperspace (the currently broken down gates). Many of their expansion efforts were pioneered by autonomous drones, utilizing the early ages of general purpose artificial intelligence. So by default, general purpose AI already exists. Trytachyon took things further, creating tech that matched the human brain. After reaching human intelligence, it's not a huge leap to surpass it by making the same thing but bigger. That led to a whole bunch of AI wars, spawning a few video games of the same name and shaping the current sector in game.

As fun as it is to wank humanity's superiority, this sci fi world explicitly states that a smart enough AI is superior to human intelligence. Even the dumbest ones are better at math of course, but the superior ones can analyze much stranger data such as fads, market predictions and design algorithms to both make better decisions and ultimately provide better administration than a human possibly can.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 02:56:53 PM »

Also using AI cores forces you to go to war ultimately with certain factions, limiting your options late game, every game.

About that, I took a more clandestine route and sabotaged the military to ruins, and that prevented them from organizing fleets entirely. So lawful factions won't discover you were using AI in colonies when they can't even send a fleet.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 04:14:48 PM »

Also using AI cores forces you to go to war ultimately with certain factions, limiting your options late game, every game.

About that, I took a more clandestine route and sabotaged the military to ruins, and that prevented them from organizing fleets entirely. So lawful factions won't discover you were using AI in colonies when they can't even send a fleet.

What do you mean by you sabotaged their military?

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 08:44:13 PM »

A little offtopic but still about admins.

Whats the chance to find an admin with all 3 skils? Never seen any in my runs.
Spoiler
[close]

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 10:13:06 AM »

Zero percent.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »

A little offtopic but still about admins.

Whats the chance to find an admin with all 3 skils? Never seen any in my runs.

They can only have 2 of 3 skills.  Why AI beats them so bad,  they don't have 25k upkeep either.   Course you have the curious invaders knocking on your door.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 01:39:27 PM »

Is there a mod that allows the player or an Administrator or AI to administer all colonies in the same system without penalty? Is such a thing even possible?

When i colonize a system, I want to do it thoroughly as I take great pleasure at seeing a previously uninhabited system fill with traders, smugglers and patrols. However, I can't really do that with so few admins to work with. I think a solution like this would work quite elegantly.

If I understand,  you want increase your planet management cap?  It's pretty easy,  just an edit in the settings file I believe.

Admin cap is also in the same file.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:42:43 PM by DDwarrirofire »
Pages: [1] 2