Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inventory / Icon updates: Turret Size and Damage Type indicators  (Read 686 times)

Apple_Addict

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Inventory / Icon updates: Turret Size and Damage Type indicators
« on: February 11, 2020, 03:36:14 PM »

When looking at a station's inventory (or even my own inventory, for that matter), I am often completely lost. It seems to me that each icon has no meaning.

Players, at a glance, should be able to see an icon for a turret and (without needing to hover over it) it should be immediately obvious a) what the size is (large, medium, small) and also ideally what the damage type is (kinetic, explosive, energy, etc).

Some easy implementations might be to add a small L, M, or S to the bottom-right side of the icon. And, you could also assign a color to each damage type, and make sure the icon's graphic follows that color scheme. Yes, it is a simplistic trope, and I get that there has to be some room for artistic license. But it works.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Inventory / Icon updates: Turret Size and Damage Type indicators
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 10:45:02 PM »

Colour is already used by mount type (B/M/E - and it'd make sense to include this too), the appropriate symbol being somewhere within the icon would suffice for damage type.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:16:24 PM »

I think what he meant is that in the cargo screen, weapons don't have any indicators on what kind of a weapon they are. This is mostly unnecessary in the refit screen, since ballistic, energy and missile weapons are color-coded and downsized weapons are at the bottom of the list. The most use of buying weapons in cargo screen is to either get more of this cool weapon you just found, or to get more of this weapon you already know is good. It's something of a catch-22, since you need to use a weapon to know if it's good, and you need to go to the refit screen to check it out, and if you haven't used it, you don't actually know if it's any good and worth acquiring.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 11:23:28 PM »

I think what he meant is that in the cargo screen, weapons don't have any indicators on what kind of a weapon they are. This is mostly unnecessary in the refit screen, since ballistic, energy and missile weapons are color-coded and downsized weapons are at the bottom of the list.
Oh I'm aware - He suggested colour-coding weapons on the cargo screen by damage type, when colour-coding is already used for mount type in all other instances; Colour by mount type and symbol for damage type would keep it consistent.

Prolbo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 03:09:19 AM »

Didnt see anything wrong. Two icons in the corner of the slot (like amount but icons). One describes weapon size and mount type, second — damage type. Would be very userfull.