Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiple groups for autofire settings plus target priority  (Read 668 times)

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Multiple groups for autofire settings plus target priority
« on: February 11, 2020, 04:40:09 AM »

Base game seriously lack gun control. Normal auto fire weapon will discharge on every target wasting flux and usually missing as strike craft is too small for most weapons to hit reliably. Player cant quickly switch weapons control groups unless you can manage to press control-number on 2-3 weapon groups very fast.
     So additional auto fire setting for say ignore strike craft with weapon group or for whole ship would be very useful.
     Perhaps multiple auto fire groups can be saved to presets and can be applied using some shortcut like shift-1 shift-2 etc. so player can quickly reconfigure ship auto fire groups for weapons.
Also disabling all auto fire except PDs like in this Weapons Control Group mod https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=13431.0 in base game would be very cool.

Perq

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple groups for autofire settings plus target priority
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 06:15:14 AM »

I'd love to have an option to prioritize certain size of ships with set weapons. I really don't need Gauss cannons are other large guns trying to shot down fighters or frigates - I have other weapons/ships for that. D:     
Especially when there is other capital ship wailing with their large guns on me.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:00:48 AM »

I don't have problems switching weapon control groups. For the most part, for the weapons I am not direct controlling I do want them to target fighters. That said I do want the ability to have more control groups and to be able to place weapons on multiple control groups.

Gauss cannons as with other large weapons, tend to only shoot fighters or frigates if they are the only targets. I don't see a problem with that. It might be considered outside of their intended purpose, but does it matter if they are the only targets in range? After they shot, then does a ship enter their range you want them to shoot at can that be less than optimal, but if you aren't direct controlling the Gauss Cannons, what weapons are you directly controlling? It does bother me that Locusts might waste their shots on shielded ships and Hurricane MIRV on frigates, but that's probably more to do with the ship targeting one target at a time.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 10:35:24 AM »

PD weapons will fire missiles/mines/other ordnance as top priority. Everything else prioritizes current target, so just targeting the ship you want to shoot at solves the problem.

While there are some possible optimizations with fire priorities (PD picking sabots instead of swarmers,etc) things like this run counter to current design.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »

It is also would be nice to have option "attack shields only" and "attack hull only". I can group those weapons on controlled ship and rapidly switch them manually. But AI ships obviously can`t. Sadly to see how my smaller ships trying to damage onslaught`s armor with needler or graviton beam, wasting flux, instead of using other weapons they have. And yes, using HIL against heavy shielded targets is the opposite side of AI stupidity.  >:(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:16:22 PM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.