Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighter targeting  (Read 1526 times)

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
Fighter targeting
« on: February 07, 2020, 11:08:03 AM »

I understand that fighter is the most important type of ship in the game and must be killed asap, but i m ready to play hard, so pls, when i press "R" button, let it skip fighters. Especially those, friendly to me.

Also, lol... I can target a fighter with minigun... But i cant target reaper-missile, floating right into my so-called officer's open flank. Thank you very much!
Spoiler
[close]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter targeting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 11:40:44 AM »

I understand that fighter is the most important type of ship in the game and must be killed asap, but i m ready to play hard, so pls, when i press "R" button, let it skip fighters. Especially those, friendly to me.

I agree with this, I sometimes struggle to lock onto a targeted warship because there are too many fighters flying over it. It's still useful to be able to lock onto a fighter, but perhaps could the priority change to the ship? Nine times out of ten when there's a fighter and a warship occupying the same space, it's the warship I want to target first.

Also, lol... I can target a fighter with minigun... But i cant target reaper-missile, floating right into my so-called officer's open flank. Thank you very much!

... Are you suggesting the ability to select missiles as a target? That... That's pretty wild actually. :o If you can get away with it, I would not be against this feature on, say, a TRUE/FALSE column in weapon_data or a tag in the .proj file, "canTargetProjectile" or something, so it can be reserved for especially BIG missiles (like, as you say, the Reaper).

However, I worry it's a feature that might be hard to get use of (unless you're a very frequent spacebar-clicker), since big missiles like that are on the battlefield for such a short time usually. And, obviously it would still only let Point Defense weapons autofire on the missile because otherwise it would undermine the whole concept of PD, so the advantages of such a feature would be moot.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »

I agree with this, I sometimes struggle to lock onto a targeted warship because there are too many fighters flying over it. It's still useful to be able to lock onto a fighter, but perhaps could the priority change to the ship? Nine times out of ten when there's a fighter and a warship occupying the same space, it's the warship I want to target first.

Yeah, let me add a todo item for this. To be honest, it's probably more like 99 out of 100.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »

Are you suggesting the ability to select missiles as a target?
No, just rofling. What i need is fighter targeting disabled. We have PD mecanics, and without other targets ship autotargets fighters anyway, so, for me it is enough.
Spoiler
[close]

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 05:19:24 PM »

Disabling fighter targeting entirely would be really bad. Often you want to target them so your guns shoot at *that* fighter and not other stuff, also for missiles especially the anti fighter-ones etc etc.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 06:52:34 PM »

Changed it so that ships get priority when you're not already targeting that specific ship. That seems to do the job - you can still target fighters easily, it just takes an extra press when they're over another ship, since you'll always target that ship first. And you should never have trouble targeting a ship when you want to, since that'll always be prioritized.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »

Sounds good to me! :D

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »

Yes, it is very good decision! Thank you! :)
Spoiler
[close]