Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Shadowy Broker (v0.3.6 - 2020/03/08)  (Read 42716 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Shadowy Broker (v0.3.6 - 2020/03/08)
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »

Is there any chance you would make the Shadowy Broker's fee configurable?

I blew 15K before I realized he was charging me 5,000 credits and only searching the local system because he defaults to 0LY radius, and then I blew another 5K when I did a long-range search but forgot where he suggested that I sell the goods I had just bought, and he never even bothered to write it down anywhere!

Also he tried to suggest I buy in a pirate port in a system with a neutron star, which I didn't realize, and that... Led to a series of escalating poor decisions that wound up with me having to abandon a save.

That was not 40,000 credits worth of service. Also, I haven't noticed any difference in the system bars.

Frankly, all he's doing is saving me two hours of work searching the trade routes and running the math. But the thing is, I command a ship - a fleet of ships. On those ships are computers. Manning those computers are subordinates.

I shouldn't have to pay for that at all, frankly, I should tell my number one to have the quartermaster look for potential profitable freelance trades. So I'd like to be able to set the fee down to something more reasonable, like 500 credits.

What would be worth paying for is if the Shadowy Broker could just conjure a bar-style trade mission on-demand. 5,000 credits to grease the right wheels, make the right connections, some for himself, and then "here's a job that isn't open for just anyone. Take it or leave it, but, I found a guy - you don't need to know who, they don't wanna know you - who needs this stuff moved to this place by X time. Get it done, and here's the pay."

Also, perhaps a parameter for the Shadow Broker to not suggest trades involving hostile factions? It's one thing to trade on the black market of a place I can land at, it's another thing for the Broker to suggest a trade which sends me into the jaws of a gigantic Luddic Path fleet. Okay, nevermind that, I misunderstood the function of 'Approach Lawfully/Lawlessly'. I thought 'lawless approach' meant "I don't mind trading illegal goods/selling the black market," not "send me somewhere I'd have to either sneak or shoot my way into port".

Nope! Nevermind the Nevermind! https://imgur.com/a/788x80E It's still sending me to Soul, a Luddic Path world, and if I fly into that system I'm gonna get dogpiled by approximately thirty ships.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:20:20 PM by ShadowDragon8685 »

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »

Is there any chance you would make the Shadowy Broker's fee configurable?

I blew 15K before I realized he was charging me 5,000 credits and only searching the local system because he defaults to 0LY radius, and then I blew another 5K when I did a long-range search but forgot where he suggested that I sell the goods I had just bought, and he never even bothered to write it down anywhere!

Also he tried to suggest I buy in a pirate port in a system with a neutron star, which I didn't realize, and that... Led to a series of escalating poor decisions that wound up with me having to abandon a save.

That was not 40,000 credits worth of service. Also, I haven't noticed any difference in the system bars.

Frankly, all he's doing is saving me two hours of work searching the trade routes and running the math. But the thing is, I command a ship - a fleet of ships. On those ships are computers. Manning those computers are subordinates.

I shouldn't have to pay for that at all, frankly, I should tell my number one to have the quartermaster look for potential profitable freelance trades. So I'd like to be able to set the fee down to something more reasonable, like 500 credits.

What would be worth paying for is if the Shadowy Broker could just conjure a bar-style trade mission on-demand. 5,000 credits to grease the right wheels, make the right connections, some for himself, and then "here's a job that isn't open for just anyone. Take it or leave it, but, I found a guy - you don't need to know who, they don't wanna know you - who needs this stuff moved to this place by X time. Get it done, and here's the pay."

Also, perhaps a parameter for the Shadow Broker to not suggest trades involving hostile factions? It's one thing to trade on the black market of a place I can land at, it's another thing for the Broker to suggest a trade which sends me into the jaws of a gigantic Luddic Path fleet. Okay, nevermind that, I misunderstood the function of 'Approach Lawfully/Lawlessly'. I thought 'lawless approach' meant "I don't mind trading illegal goods/selling the black market," not "send me somewhere I'd have to either sneak or shoot my way into port".

Nope! Nevermind the Nevermind! https://imgur.com/a/788x80E It's still sending me to Soul, a Luddic Path world, and if I fly into that system I'm gonna get dogpiled by approximately thirty ships.

I mean he is called the "shadowy" broker for a reason. He is their for profit and profit alone. Safety and other factors shouldn't matter. What matters is money, and lots and lots of money.

(Don't worry, you're not alone xD. I learned that also the hard way and got sent to a luddic path planet. Bombarded with atleast 3-5 armadas of ships.)

Droidhacker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »

I was commenting to say that I really really like your mod!  Its really great and very useful.  Everything is really well done and even though I have only used the trade function a couple of times, it was really cool and I have no idea how on earth you set up such a great mod.  I mostly use him or her to double check my math and to make sure the trade I am about to do is still profitable with changing market conditions.  I use the bank all the time though, and the broker seems especially good for higher volume or multiple item trades.

If you wanted to expand the mod, I really think you should!  The mod in features and function is perfect, if you did want to do more I think the concept could be expanded on a lot.  I personally am a sucker for financial stuff like this, and it would be really cool to have more of it in Starsector.  The other day I was thinking about how cool it would be if the broker would also funnel money to investments that could offer higher returns, but for much more risk.  I dont know much about java but I was thinking like it might be possible to generate a random number between 1 and 100 and if the player invests 10k and the RNG is above 98 the player makes 10k, if the RNG is less than 2, the player looses 10k and then you maybe could have lower rates of return or loss for more likely sets of numbers.

In the same vein of my above thoughts, I was thinking about how in the 1600s when France and the Netherlands went to war the French forces were winning every battle and when they got close to Amsterdam the French Aristocracy nearly revolted because they had all their investments in dutch stocks and banks, most of which were centered in Amsterdam.  It'd be really neat if a similar thing could happen in Starsector.  Like the Hegemony gets all ticked off that you are using AI cores, but said AI cores run your killer financial system and stock market and when they declare war every credit of property they destroy or trade they disrupt causes progressively worse stability penalties for their colonies because their elite has all their money invested in you

Friction

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 08:09:52 PM »

Is it possible to be able to change the Interest rate in the settings?

Helbrecht

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 01:02:03 AM »

Is this mod getting an update to 0.9.5a, or will it continue to function without?

HopeFall

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2023, 03:55:20 PM »

Anyone know anything that does this similarly? Doing a mining run and it's unpleasant trying to figure out how to offload outrageous amounts of ore. Having something just precalculate things for me was very convenient if I didn't want to make 10+ stops.
Pages: 1 2 [3]