Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: [0.97a] The Asteroid ship pack 1.4d  (Read 162636 times)

latua95

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] The Asteroid ship pack 1.3c
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2021, 03:09:54 AM »

hello?
Can I reprint your mod
URL here https://www.fossic.org/

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2021, 04:40:52 AM »

No, you may not reprint my mod.

latua95

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2021, 07:54:58 PM »

Sorry
I disturbed you

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2021, 02:58:19 AM »

Welp, this took a while. Got a bit too taken away playing Starsector and not being on the forum all that much  :-X

I'll just say Asteroid Ships as a whole feel really great now, not only when playing with them early/mid game (and even late game for the Pebble) but they also bring quite a lot of new enemy variety to pirates!

I've had this moment in early game when I hunted a bounty and it had, at my dismay, an officered Cerus that definetly had Systems Expertise and a good weapon setup. It absolutely deleted 4 of my frigades going at it one by one before I could take it down  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:16:36 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2021, 03:12:28 AM »

Question.

How are ships made of literal rocks this maneuverable?

We're talking low tech levels of dakka on these things, but also nimble af? Like what? It's nice giving pirates something threatening but the stats don't match the looks.

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »

Well the idea is that rocks are lighter than the equivalent amount of steel so these ships can go faster than ships of similar sizes due to being made from lighter materials. To try and balance this the ships have very low amounts of armour but a lot of hull points so its easier to disable their weapons and make them lose crew.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2021, 01:53:25 AM »

Well the idea is that rocks are lighter than the equivalent amount of steel so these ships can go faster than ships of similar sizes due to being made from lighter materials. To try and balance this the ships have very low amounts of armour but a lot of hull points so its easier to disable their weapons and make them lose crew.

In space, everything weighs the same.  Mass varies.  It's a mod... for a game... that is an abstraction... of something that isn't real.  Just assume the mod author wanted to balance this against vanilla game options.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2021, 05:17:58 AM »

In space, everything weighs the same.  Mass varies.  It's a mod... for a game... that is an abstraction... of something that isn't real.  Just assume the mod author wanted to balance this against vanilla game options.

That's the mod author you're quoting lol

On mobility, I like the asteroid ships being agile but having low armor values, makes sense and fits, though I've personally adjusted some of the bigger ones to be a little less snappy (some of the big ones have frigate-level agility by default).
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2021, 05:03:39 AM »

Visually the ships struck me as heavy, structurally unsound, but armored in the derelict contingent sense. Like, you pound some missiles into rock but there was no ship systems *behind* the rock so the ship's fine. Weapon loadouts supported that feeling - there's a real low tech "more mounts than anyone knows what to do with" vibe going on.

Cue my surprise when the cruisers/destroyers start pulling hit and runs on my fleet. Nevermind the SO cruisers tokyo drifting all over the place - those things are a menace!

Once I adjusted to the surprise it makes the early pirate fights visually and mechanically more interesting. Add in some Epattcud ships and Exodus Initiative weapons and early fights are, uh, fun.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »

That's the mod author you're quoting lol

On mobility, I like the asteroid ships being agile but having low armor values, makes sense and fits, though I've personally adjusted some of the bigger ones to be a little less snappy (some of the big ones have frigate-level agility by default).
Honestly I'd have gone with lots of armour (to represent all the rock you have to burn off as ablative armour) with average maneuverability and low structure (to represent their ramshackle construction, that being of random rocks welded together with scaffolding).

Though that's just me.

ebolamorph

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2021, 02:46:45 PM »

Do the pirates actually use these ships in battle or are these for players only?

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2021, 05:39:35 PM »

Do the pirates actually use these ships in battle or are these for players only?
Last I checked the pirates used them extensively, pretty much only those ships in fact. Although last time I used it was a few versions ago.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:50:19 PM by Oni »

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »

Just a thought but, being made of litteral rock, shouldn't they be harder to detect with sensors ?

I mean if a fleet of thoses ships were to just go slow in a asteroid belt, wouldn't they be nigh invisible since its rocks next to more rocks ?

Heck running silent should make them nigh invisible unless a fleet litterally comes within sneezing range

just thought them having a lower than average sensor signature would just make sense

unless thats already in ?

ebolamorph

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2021, 01:06:29 PM »

Last I checked the pirates used them extensively, pretty much only those ships in fact. Although last time I used it was a few versions ago.
after some playtime not only do the pirates use them, they use other ships too. These getting mixed in either cripples, weakens,  or hella bolsters their fleets. Those cruisers are no joke

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2021, 01:52:57 PM »

Just a thought but, being made of litteral rock, shouldn't they be harder to detect with sensors ?

I mean if a fleet of thoses ships were to just go slow in a asteroid belt, wouldn't they be nigh invisible since its rocks next to more rocks ?

Heck running silent should make them nigh invisible unless a fleet litterally comes within sneezing range

just thought them having a lower than average sensor signature would just make sense

unless thats already in ?

If I knew how to change ship sensor signatures I would have done it ages ago.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8