Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: [0.97a] The Asteroid ship pack 1.4d  (Read 162837 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Asteroid ship pack 1.1b
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 05:36:05 PM »

(... language, please.)

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 04:07:10 AM »

Cool mod. Not sure if the download has a typo on purpose or not, but it gave me a chuckle.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »

This is just flatout neat.

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 07:00:11 PM »

Dunno if this'll ever get updated but the Clanker could do with getting it's turn rate dropped a little. It turns so quickly it looks goofy.

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 02:55:25 AM »

Dunno if this'll ever get updated but the Clanker could do with getting it's turn rate dropped a little. It turns so quickly it looks goofy.
Noted.
There is an update ready, I'm just waiting for industrial evolution to update with it's new blueprint options. my mod should be compatible with it.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18011.0

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »

I thought this was perhaps a dead mod. Good too hear it'll see another update!

SaberCherry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »

This looks incredibly cool; I'm going to grab it and try it out!

By the way, what would the implications be of making the type "Asteroid" versus "Low Tech"?  Does that affect anything?

Also, (if this isn't present already) I think it would be fun to have a built-in "Heavy Mass Driver" weapon like in Knights of Sidonia (which, incidentally, stars an asteroid ship) or Star Control 2's Druuge Mauler.  It would essentially shoot a high-velocity (well, low compared to most projectiles) small asteroid taken from its own body, with no distance limit.  Once launched this would just be like any other asteroid at that speed, for purposes of collisions, damage, momentum, etc.

Edit:

So on initial inspection, I've noticed:
1) Boulder (shuttle) is too small (size of a fighter); ships drilled out of rocks should be larger than equivalent ships made of actual metals.  Also it's WAY too cheap to deploy; it gets 2% CR to deploy and 6% recovery per day, yet has the loadout of a Kite.  Yet the maintenance is unreasonably high (3) for basically a low-tech drilled-out rock.  Also it has 180 degree shields with 15 flux upkeep, which seems absurd for a low-tech DIY pirate ship.  E.g. Mudskipper has no shield, while Shepherd has a 90 degree 1.2 shield, and they both have 20% deployment CR.

2) Cerus (cruiser) has extremely high stats with 16 small and 3 medium slots, plus a fighter bay.  And 300 degree 0.8 shields with 8000 base flux capacity, 600 base dissipation, and 75 speed...  on a gigantic rock.  Oh, and weak (400) armor?  I would expect DIY asteroid ships cobbled (heh) together by pirates to be very slow, with very heavy armor, weak or no shields, and insufficient flux, not... midline-grade shields, best-in-class powerplants, and near-best-in-class speed.  And all that for 15 deployment points?  Consider the specs of a (also 15 DP) Falcon (P); it could probably crush 3 Falcons.  At once.

Those are the only ships I've seen so far but while the art is fantastic, I think the balance could use a bit of tweaking.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:22:31 PM by SaberCherry »

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 04:58:57 AM »

Alright, finally some proper criticism. It should be noted I've only recently gotten back into this game after playing others for a while so I've only fairly recently started to properly test my mod. Okay so first off these sprites are not mine and don't know how to sprite currently so you're going to have to deal the Boulder being to small. I have lowered it's maintenance and have half'ed it's shield arc, and i shall be doing some more testing with it's shield sometime later. The Cerus was defiantly to fast and it's speed has been lowered to 50 and has also had it's shield arc reduced.
These ships armour are weak because actual rock is nowhere near as strong as even poorly made steel plates. I also can't seem to find any sources on how heavy steel is compared to rocks/stones are so as far as i know rocks are not as heavy as steel compared to volume so that's why most of these ships are pretty fast. One final thing, the Cerus's DP is 20, i think you got the Rock Cruiser's DP confused with the Cerus's. I will be taking some better looks at the rest of these ships shields later and all these changes will be made public when that update of industrial evolution drops.

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 03:52:23 AM »

Personally, I like the low armour, all the hull points approach. It fits the very idea of these ships. I would consider lowering the supply cost (not deployment cost). Remember that the crew drain will add up for ships with this setup, so there has to be some incentive for a player to use them.

Yes, steel is denser than most rocks. However, you would not fill the entire shape of a ship with steel -- it would be some sort of grid structure instead. You would also not fly any light/loose rock asteroids, as they would not hold up to dynamic manoeuvres. So unless the people who decided to fly an asteroid can also safely hollow out much of it while retaining structural strength... I think you have to assume the weight is actually up there with a standard ship of comparable size.

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 08:09:52 PM »

I have now finished all necessary balance fixes and are just waiting for industrial evolution to update.

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 09:03:24 AM »

I dunno if you've fixed it already but the Boulder is tagged as a cargo ship so it never deploys in combat.

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The Asteroid ship pack 1.2
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 03:29:01 AM »

The new update is finally released.
Update 1.2
https://github.com/Liam5563/astroidships-pack/blob/master/Astroid%20ship%20pack%201.2.rar?raw=true

Full change log:
Added support for Industrial Evolution's new Reverse Engineering and Derelict Industries
All destroyers and smaller ships have had their supplies per month reduced:
Boulder's has been lowered to 1
Stoner's has been lowered to 2
Havel's has been lowered to 3
Vesta and Tholen's has been lowered to 5
Galileo's has been lowered to 4
All ships(except Pebble) have had their shields made less efficient:
All ships(except Pebble) now have a shield efficiency lowered to 1.0
Cerus's shield arc has been lowered to 250

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The Asteroid ship pack 1.2
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
  • Just another piece of ***
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] The Asteroid ship pack 1.2a
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »

hey what if there was a fuel/cargo ship made from asteroids ?

liam556

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] The Asteroid ship pack 1.2a
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2021, 07:57:49 PM »

That would require me to learn how to make ship sprites, which is something I'd like to learn to do eventually but you'll have to wait a while as I'm currently make an update for another mod for a different game called Rule the Waves 2. Also there're some new tags in the ship data that are called c/s, c/f, f/s, f/f, crew/s and crew/f that are quite clearly for cargo/fuel ships so until I know what these mean a fuel/cargo ship made from asteroids wont happen at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8