Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Some Thoughts From My Last Playthrough  (Read 799 times)

Draginea

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Some Thoughts From My Last Playthrough
« on: February 02, 2020, 09:30:34 AM »

Hey guys, been a while since I posted anything on the forum, so sorry if I mess something up.

Anyway, in my most recent playthrough, I noticed a number of things that annoyed me. Any suggestions are just the thoughts of some random internet girl:

Problem: Intel/Map System
     The number one thing I noticed was the confusing intel/map system. Having a separate sector map and intel map seems redundant and often got me mixed up on which map I needed for a given thing.
     In line with that, it feels odd that there are two system maps: the main one and the tree view, both accessed in different ways.
     Potential Solution
          Just to throw an idea out there, maybe all intel could be placed on the main map.  I feel like the system maps could be simplified by having the tree view across the top, or down the side
         of, the main system map.

Problem: Planet Managment UI
     The planet management system feels awkward to use with several colonies. To switch colonies you need to back out of the colony management screen, go to the colonies list, and select a
     different planet.
     Potential Solution
           Maybe use something similar to the ship refit screen. Below is a mockup:

Problem: Autopilot Loop
     I would often get stuck in a loop of autopilot trying to enter a system through the star. Once autopilot reached a system that was targeted through the map screen, it would try to enter
     through the star's gravity well. I would exit the system entrance dialog so I could go to a different jump point, but the autopilot would just attempt to use the solar gravity well again before I
     could do anything.
     Potential Solution
          This might be fixed by making the autopilot not try to enter the solar gravity well when targeted from the map. It does not make much sense that it does this anyway, as the player
          usually wants to use a different jump point.

Problem: Unwanted Ships In Player Faction Fleets
     There needs to be a way to prevent player fleets from using certain ships. I had a mod that added a capitol freighter with hangar decks and my fleets would use it as their exclusive capital
     ship.

Problem: Cluttered Intel
     There needs to be a way to dismiss or hide notifications on the intel screen, as it can become cluttered.

Problem: Intuitive UI Element Missing
     The location item in the colony list should be clickable to either set an autopilot command or open the sector map with the system highlighted.'

Problem: Transponder Woes
It would be nice to have transponder reminders/automatic toggle rules when entering/ leaving a system. I got decreased relations wayyyy too many times because I forgot to turn on the transponder.

These last few are more subjective, so I'm putting them here at the bottom:

The hyperdrive mod freaking brilliant, and I feel like there is a case to be made for integrating it into the base game. It decreases the tedium of long-distance travel and requires some skill to be used effectively, while still placing a cost on traveling long distances.

Pirates are freaking insane. They are a major faction by population alone and throw ships at the player like the faction is led by Stalin himself. I must have killed hundreds of thousands of crew just defending myself from raids. The pirates feel more like a crazed Zergling empire than a group of criminals. Maybe consider toning down the military might and making the pirates more criminal than genocidal. Subtlety, you know? Something to make it feel like a network of criminals rather than an empire.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Some Thoughts From My Last Playthrough
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »

Problem: Autopilot Loop
     I would often get stuck in a loop of autopilot trying to enter a system through the star. Once autopilot reached a system that was targeted through the map screen, it would try to enter
     through the star's gravity well. I would exit the system entrance dialog so I could go to a different jump point, but the autopilot would just attempt to use the solar gravity well again before I
     could do anything.
This is already fixed for the next release. It'll target the nearest gravity well then.

There needs to be a way to prevent player fleets from using certain ships. I had a mod that added a capitol freighter with hangar decks and my fleets would use it as their exclusive capital
     ship.
Many many people suggested this but Alex isn't too keen on implementing it, always comes down to ''just prioritise everything else''.

Problem: Cluttered Intel
     There needs to be a way to dismiss or hide notifications on the intel screen, as it can become cluttered.
I believe this will also be a thing in next release.

It would be nice to have transponder reminders/automatic toggle rules when entering/ leaving a system. I got decreased relations wayyyy too many times because I forgot to turn on the transponder.
It already works like that? If your transponder is off and you try to enter a system where it needs to be on, it'll ask you if you want to activate it.

And agree on the hyperdrive thing, doesn't need to be exactly that but something that eases the boring hyperspace travel.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Draginea

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 11:29:18 AM »

It already works like that? If your transponder is off and you try to enter a system where it needs to be on, it'll ask you if you want to activate it.

Ohhhh, I have a mod called Transponder Reminders installed that I thought did that. If it is already in the base game then never mind that bit.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »

ship.
Many many people suggested this but Alex isn't too keen on implementing it, always comes down to ''just prioritise everything else''.
The current system is ridiculously arcane.  It can be done, but very awkward to work with.  (You need to pay close attention to categories.)  If Alex insists on sticking with this, the system needs much better explanation how it works.  A blacklist option to block ships would be easier.

It does not help that priority for weapons (and fighters) applies to both ships and battlestations.  I set priority for weapons/fighters to help battlestations, not my patrols' ships, because when player is desperate for system defense, battlestation is what matters most.