Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hullmod suggestions  (Read 1306 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Hullmod suggestions
« on: January 27, 2020, 09:16:44 PM »

Expanded Magazines: Rename to Tertiary Capacitors :P

Converted Hangar: Penalties decrease with increasing hull size, Fighter speed reduced by 17%/13%/9%, and damage taken increased by 25%/20%/15%.

Automated Repair Unit: Increase OP cost, grant increased hull integrity.
(Also thought about faster ship repairs but that would be useless in Missions so opted for integrity instead).

Rocket Boosters: Grants Missiles 35% increased range and 30% more top speed, 8/12/20/30 OP.

Auxiliary Ground Support Module: Increases the effective strength of planetary raids by 25/50/75/100, up to the total number of marines in the fleet. Stacks with normal Ground Support Module. 5/10/15/25 OP. Logistical Hullmod.

First Generation Armor: Reduces Kinetic, Fragmentation and Explosive damage to armor by 10%..... and increases Energy Damage to armor by 25%. 3/6/9/15 OP.
-----
Reduced Cargo Holds/Berthing/Fuel Tanks: They do not count towards logistical hullmod limit, only one can be equipped at a time.

Decreases reduces cargo/crew/fuel capacity by 30/60/100/200, depending on hull size, or by 30%, whichever is higher. For civilian-grade hulls, also decreases maintenance supply use by 50%. Grants 4/8/12/16 OP.
-----
[Redacted] hullmods, can be only gained from [Redacted] ships, stations and rare blueprint sources.

Neo-ablative Frames: Fighters and bombers gain maneuverability and speed as their hulls go down. 8/15/20 OP.

Additional Automation: Reduces the rate at which combat readiness degrades and minimum crew required by 10%. 5/10/15/25 OP.

Biosteel Armor: Increases the ship's armor by 35 / 70 / 105 / 140 points. 6/12/18/30 OP.

Quasicrystal Heat Sinks: Increases the ship's flux capacity by 300/600/900/1500. The ship also has 35 percent less sensor profile. 4/8/12/20 OP.

Enlarged Warheads: Increases missile damage by 35% and reduces ship hull integrity by 20%. 4/8/12/20 OP.

Overclock Module: Reduces hull integrity by 40%. Increase energy weapon damage by 30%. 3/6/9/15 OP.

Disharmonized Shields: Reduce Kinetic damage to shields by 30% but increases increases EMP damaged received while shield active by 150%. 3/6/9/15 OP.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:08:57 AM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Broetchenholer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Hullmod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 03:15:33 AM »

Hm, in regards to Reduced Cargo Holds/Berthing/Fuel Tanks, in which cases would you not want that on your battleships? I mean, cargo and fuel tanks i can get behind, you always want a lot of both, but Berthing? I have never maxed my crew capacity because i never needed it, and i haven't seen youtubers do it either. This seems like a bonus without downsides to me, maybe not on all combat ships of the fleet, but at least with most of all.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:31:00 AM »

Not to mention Efficiency Overhaul reduces crew requirements by 20% and it's 15 OP on capitals. You would pretty much always then pick those two hullmods and have faster CR recovery with cheaper costs all around for basically free. Also that Disharmonized Shields hullmods seems OP as *** with so little OP costs, again you'd pick that pretty much always since there are only 2 weapons in the whole game that can pierce shields and you're not seeing them that often.

First Generation Armor and Overclock Module seem decent tho.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 05:14:02 AM »

Hm, in regards to Reduced Cargo Holds/Berthing/Fuel Tanks, in which cases would you not want that on your battleships? I mean, cargo and fuel tanks i can get behind, you always want a lot of both, but Berthing? I have never maxed my crew capacity because i never needed it, and i haven't seen youtubers do it either. This seems like a bonus without downsides to me, maybe not on all combat ships of the fleet, but at least with most of all.
Next update, you're going to need that crew capacity for marines.

Not to mention Efficiency Overhaul reduces crew requirements by 20% and it's 15 OP on capitals. You would pretty much always then pick those two hullmods and have faster CR recovery with cheaper costs all around for basically free. Also that Disharmonized Shields hullmods seems OP as *** with so little OP costs, again you'd pick that pretty much always since there are only 2 weapons in the whole game that can pierce shields and you're not seeing them that often.
It doesn't reduce min crew requirements, in the same way Additional Berthing doesn't increase min crew requirements.

New DS should be less overpowered.

Broetchenholer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 06:45:14 AM »

Still, most ships are balanced around OP and giving them more OP by reducing a non-combat stat that is completely optional gameplay wise is a straight buff for most ships. If you want to take more crew with you, just buy a troop transport and give it additional berthing and then reduce berthing on your Frigates so that they can be stronger in the fight. If you want the mod only in some cases not on your ships, it's probably too strong.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 07:24:23 AM »

A lot of these would be overpowered, especially for player piloted ships.
For example, Overclock Module is absolute bonkers. Piloting a high tech ship without taking hull damage is easy enough, especially when you can overwhelm everyone with your buffed weapons.

And even a hullmod that is ok on it's own can break balance by stacking with existing hullmods buffing same stat.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »

Damage increases are extremely valuable and extremely easy to abuse. Similarly a durability increase has an enormous amount of potential behind it. That's why Hardened Shields is such a powerful hull mod. It effectively gives the whole package, less shield damage easily translates into more flux, more survivability and more firepower.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 01:47:20 PM »

Quick thoughts:

Expanded Magazines: Why do you want to rename this and what's with the ":P"?

Converted Hangar: Ignoring the other chnages for which you declined to say why you want to decrease or increase those stats, why would you want penalties decrease with increasing hull size?

Automated Repair Unit: What's the reasoning? Not opposed, but there is plenty of other hullmods that increase hull HP already.

Rocket Boosters: Why?

Auxiliary Ground Support Module: To be honest, that would make ships with it already almost pointless as you can place this mod on every logistical ship when you want to raid.

First Generation Armor: Don't like the name as it kind of makes its own lore. I don't like such specific hullmods, kind of how I don't like how Solar Sheilding reduces energy damage.
-----
Reduced Cargo Holds/Berthing/Fuel Tanks: Why wouldn't I want this on my non-logistical ships? Saying that you want extra crew capacity for marines is not a real answer as crew ships are available.
-----

That's where I stopped becuase i can see myself simply asking "why?" to each of them as you have only described the effect but not the reasoning. There's a lot of ideas, but it's no different from any other hullmod suggestion thread that pops up every now and then with lots of ideas, but without explaining the reasoning to why this hullmod should be added. There is already a lot of hullmods present in the game and I think there should be a culling of them.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 07:43:33 PM »

Quick thoughts:

Expanded Magazines: Why do you want to rename this and what's with the ":P"?

Converted Hangar: Ignoring the other chnages for which you declined to say why you want to decrease or increase those stats, why would you want penalties decrease with increasing hull size?

Automated Repair Unit: What's the reasoning? Not opposed, but there is plenty of other hullmods that increase hull HP already.

Rocket Boosters: Why?

Auxiliary Ground Support Module: To be honest, that would make ships with it already almost pointless as you can place this mod on every logistical ship when you want to raid.

EM: Because it is misleading and makes players think it affects Ballistic weapons when it doesn't.

CH: To make it worthwhile for placing on larger ships.

ARU: To make it less situational.

RB: This is for super-specialized missile builds, notice that it has the same cost as Expanded Missile Racks.

AGSM: It doesn't, it only reaches the performance of a normal GSM only when placed on a capital.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:14:13 PM »

ARU isn't situational. If you expect to be taking armour or hull damage (so, most low-tech ships), you take it.
Heat sinks are a bit redundant, seeing that you can just increase your flux capacity directly.
Overclock Module is really volatile. Many high-tech ships just don't rely on their hull in the first place, so reducing is doesn't matter significantly, but the damage increase does.
Disharmonised Shields has this issue, where shields don't take any EMP damage at all in the first place. It could increase the chance of arcing, but except for Tachyon Lances, it's possible to counteract it easily enough.