Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Colony pirate raids - How to manage them?  (Read 1345 times)

Nighteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Colony pirate raids - How to manage them?
« on: January 18, 2020, 04:03:07 PM »

Other than babysitting my colony, when will it be able to handle these pirate fleets? The pirates keep sending multiple 20+ ship fleets consisting of 1 Odyssey, 5 Atlases, and a collection of other cruisers/destroyers/frigates. I can destroy them but it takes a lot of my time every few months having to destroy them. There is no way for me to go back to exploring or doing missions. And because of these raids, my colony is constantly having reduced stability (costing me money), and reduced accessibility.

It feels like either I did something wrong, or this point in the game isn’t very well balanced. Will my colony be able to muster fleets which can defend itself soon?

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Colony pirate raids - How to manage them?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 04:15:22 PM »

one of the industry building is the military base you get it by upgrading the patrol hq

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 04:18:22 PM »

Patrols help if they are strong enough. It also helps a lot to kill the pirate base that is spawning the raids. While they respawn very quickly, they do so as level 1/3 stations and will launch weak raids, which are more easily dealt with by patrols. Allowing pirate bases to reach full level greatly increases how annoying they are.

Nighteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »

Awesome! Is there a way to find the bases? I went to the bar which showed me the location of the current one raiding me. Is that the only/best way? As soon as they announce a raid, does the bar option become available?

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »

As soon as a pirate base that exists for the sole purpose of breaking your balls appears you can immediately go to your colony's bar to get its location.
It's the only way to know their location unless this base was also targeting another faction's colony and has a bounty on it.
However pirate bases tend to spawn around the same stars most of the time, once you know all of their possible spawn locations for your colony then you can immediately check them out as soon as you're notified of pirate activity.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Nighteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 06:13:41 AM »

Thanks! Things have gotten much more manageable!

Now that my colony is up and earning money, I'm not quite sure what to do. What's next? This game needs special random events like Stellaris! I want void creatures to invade and the groups band together (or don't) to fight them off!

BuckStrider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 06:31:10 AM »

There really isn't much to do once you get your own faction going and you don't have to worry about money/defense anymore.
You can take over the core worlds.

KCR

• Lieutenant
  • If it's not fun, why bother?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »

Or you can, you know, genocide every human being. Luddic path bases and pirates still will appear, tho.