Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Am I the only one having a hard time with strafe controls?  (Read 2469 times)

tbkn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Am I the only one having a hard time with strafe controls?
« on: January 20, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »

The combination of strafing, turning to face the mouse, firing towards the mouse, and the fact that the shields turn to face the mouse are all linked together is just too much.

Sometimes I want the ship to move sideways without having it turn. But then I can't shoot in whatever direction I want, whatever direction I choose to shoot at, it also turns the ship to face that direction.

In many cases it's ok, because the majority of guns face forward. But some cases like the high-tech battlecruiser the guns face sideways, and if I want to be able to shoot and strafe at the same time, my ship is forced to rotate as well.

It would be much nicer if you used Q/E to strafe instead of holding shift. Alternatively, holding shift should strafe but not turn the ship, and have another key for that.

Am I the only one?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one having a hard time with strafe controls?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:52:43 PM »

Hi! Q and E do strafe (without turning to face the mouse cursor) in the default keyboard bindings, precisely for the case you describe :)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 01:10:28 PM »

You can also invert it in the options so strafing is the default and holding shift switches to "tank" controls.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »

I always think that controls are Up/dn/lt/rt because the default stance is for ships to face north. As soon as ships start to face east or west or south, it gets pretty dizzying for me pretty fast. Even more so when the smaller ships start spinning freely.

I wouldn't mind a control scheme where a ship just flies in the direction you press, but that may not work out so great with the 8 directions from WASD controls.

tbkn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 02:02:50 AM »

Hi! Q and E do strafe (without turning to face the mouse cursor) in the default keyboard bindings, precisely for the case you describe :)

Duh, I feel so stupid now. I just assumed that the way they teach you in the tutorial is the only way to go, which is obviously a wrong assumption with such an elaborate game.

Thanks!

ShawnP

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 05:10:44 AM »

Duh, I feel so stupid now. I just assumed that the way they teach you in the tutorial is the only way to go, which is obviously a wrong assumption with such an elaborate game.

Thanks!
Don't feel bad, I had the exact same question;  I just hadn't had a chance to get back to the game to try and figure it out.