Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Learning to Sprite  (Read 10849 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to Sprite
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 12:29:22 AM »

rada660: What the hell, man? You've been pimping your little modification to someone else's ship, cross-posted in like 20 threads, and you didn't even get the author correct! Your Ksi is by Erick Doe, in his thread, "New Ship Art" http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1342.0

Stop flooding with images, and give proper credit as you're driving me nuts

How can you just not love this dude  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

rada660

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 04:15:28 AM »

just like i did with the Ksi leviathan of the timCorp that i found too small, extended it a bit

rada660: What the hell, man? You've been pimping your little modification to someone else's ship, cross-posted in like 20 threads, and you didn't even get the author correct! Your Ksi is by Erick Doe, in his thread, "New Ship Art" http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1342.0

Stop flooding with images, and give proper credit as you're driving me nuts

First of all how can you call it flooding, when its only in 2 tread. ( timCORP itself to show upgradecap the modification I made, then this thread to that I could make ship modification with various ship part)

Tho if its was not upgradecap making those base sprite well, I didnt even know as I only seen them from the timCORP mod, made by upgradecap.

Ok nvm forgttonen I did post in this tread, so ok ive forgottonen its was made by erick.

And its wasnt my intention to steal someone sprite and say its was mine, no, and I though by saying the shipname, someone with some reasoning and think : "oh its xxxxxxxx's ship and just made a modification....."

And the post I made about this ship to show it off to upgradecap to see how he like it as remodel so he maybe could use it in the future...

So ive check the tread you showed me, and you are true its made by erick, so credits to him.

And again I didnt intend to steal, just wanted to help timCORP a bit
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:03:03 AM by rada660 »

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 05:00:54 AM »

Here an example of a scratch-build ship that contains no copy/pasting from vanilla ships.

Here is a .psd file that contains this ship`s original file with multiple levels (including highlights, details and such).

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »

That's a nice design, Okim. I really like it.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »

I love the flags and national accoutrements, a nice touch

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »

Alright, tried again, this time from scratch, trying to keep everything you guys have said, and my previous experience, in mind. I tried to make a fighter, figuring that starting smaller would be easier than just jumping right at a destroyer.

And here's our results: The "Cherub" experimental inertialess drive fighter.

The blue open bits are supposed to be translucent, though you can't tell on a blue background. Alternatively, I was thinking of making them completely empty. Thoughts? Is it possible to align the engine hardpoints to make those sections seem to glow, maybe?

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »

Yeah you can have really tiny engines

Legendsmith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »

Anyway, I'm talking about things like removing solid colours, dithering, etc.
Hmmm.

Well, ask me specific questions, I handle specific questions one at a time better than potentially-multiple questions.

And what program are you using?

I'm using Photoshop CS4.

Anyway, I've done some more work:

I don't know how to do brightness/colour variance.
On a lot of sprites I see that even on 'flat' plating there isn't flat colour.
How do I do depth?

The Yukikaze has a lot of flat plating. (Here's another reference.)

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 11:08:56 PM »

I`m using gradients and transparent layers in photoshop. The first mainly for cylindrical objects. The later - for angled surfaces. I usually imitate a one-directional light by making one side lighter and the other darker.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 11:17:48 PM »

Well, for depth, it's pretty easy.

The 'sun' is upwards. So, color the lower parts in a darker color, and the higher parts brighter.

On 'flat'...

Well, if you just cannot stand flat color then since you're running Photoshop, you could always add a cloud map on the plating (but not on the edges or slots) on soft light, hard light, overlay, whatever fits your fancy, and lower the opacity until it looks okay to you.

Or, you could, I donno, use the pencil at 10% opacity and brighten/darken parts to your heart's content.

Really, if something is flat, I don't see why a flat color is a huge problem since the 'sun' is upwards.
Pages: 1 [2]