Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sugestion for mod: Honorverse like mod  (Read 7321 times)

Shania

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Sugestion for mod: Honorverse like mod
« on: March 20, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »

Many people here like Honorverse and its unique combat. Sadly many mods using this ip are shut down, but we can use some ideas.
I like to see some mode with Honorverse spirit: long range missile combat, counter missiles, PD laser, side shields, missiles with beam penetrating shield, wall of battle formations.

I hope some great moder likes this idea and make something like this.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Sugestion for mod: Honorverse like mod
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »

I'm sorry for being totally stupid here, but what is honorverse?

Shania

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »

Military science fiction book series created by David Weber, if you like military scifi, read it, you will hardly find something better.

http://honorverse.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »

I'm sorry to have to be the first person to say this ever (thought I know I'm not the first person to think it (and I have the mental maturity of a 10-year-old (and a big mouth, so I have to say what I think (even if my mind's in the gutter)))) but every ship in honorverse looks like
A Double-Ended Dildo.

(sorry)

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »

Military science fiction book series created by David Weber, if you like military scifi, read it, you will hardly find something better.

unless you read John Ringo
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Shania

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »

Ringo is very good too, I read whole Posleen Wars and some more his books. But his books are more ground fighting.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »

Ringo is very good too, I read whole Posleen Wars and some more his books. But his books are more ground fighting.

you should read some of the sequels. claws that catch has some good ship combat
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »

This one has some pretty tight space combat as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_Sky

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »

I've thought about this a little myself, and there are ways it could be gone about, though I really don't think Starfarer's engine can handle having two separate shields on each side of the ship to represent sidewalls, and there's no way the wedge could be modeled at all.

If you just won't something *like* honorverse, with ridiculous missilespamrape everywhere, then that *may* be doable; though I saw in another post that counter-missiles are currently a no-go.

Trying to learn to code a little so I'll toss the idea around as I go.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »

I'm pretty sure that counter missiles are on the plate for addition to the next version though.

Shania

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:40:29 AM »

I've thought about this a little myself, and there are ways it could be gone about, though I really don't think Starfarer's engine can handle having two separate shields on each side of the ship to represent sidewalls, and there's no way the wedge could be modeled at all.

If you just won't something *like* honorverse, with ridiculous missilespamrape everywhere, then that *may* be doable; though I saw in another post that counter-missiles are currently a no-go.

Trying to learn to code a little so I'll toss the idea around as I go.

Yup, massive long range missile spam to overwhelm defense of opponent ship. Some form of AEGIS cruiser in space.
Some sort of counter missiles are here http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1283.0
And I thing in next build we get laser missiles.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 02:24:56 AM »

Sorry to be a downer, but I'm not convinced that a missile spam based mod would be interesting in the Starfarer engine. There are so many things Starfarer lacks that are integral to the dynamics of Honorverse ship combat; electronic warfare, stealth systems, the way shields (not to mention wedges!) work in the setting, the way Starfarer ships don't exactly have formation-keeping as a high priority and most of all, that there's very little in the way of player control over missiles, so the mod gameplay would almost certainly boil down to clicking the missile fire button as fast as the cooldowns allow for and hoping you get luckier than the opponent.

A sim or tactics game would be a much better platform for it, I think.

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »

Well, one possible solution would be to base the mod on the Honorverse before the books actually take place; Missiles being important, but the ability to throw a billion downrange isn't the deciding factor yet. Have the focus more on beam broadsides with Missile support. Throw in the grav lance and energy torps, and you have plenty to play with.

obihal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »

other then a Honorverse mod i wish to have laser based missiles and mines like honorverse.

Lictuel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »

I'm sorry to have to be the first person to say this ever (thought I know I'm not the first person to think it (and I have the mental maturity of a 10-year-old (and a big mouth, so I have to say what I think (even if my mind's in the gutter)))) but every ship in honorverse looks like
A Double-Ended Dildo.

(sorry)

Uhm don't the military ships have hammer like prows and rears though? If i remember correctly that is where their "hunting armament" (no idea what it is called in English, the weapons they use when chasing and not exchanging broadsides) Sorry if that puts a little dent into your dirty dirty mental image ;)
Pages: [1] 2