Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Starsector Repo - Starsector Modding Repository  (Read 8852 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector Repo - Starsector Modding Repository
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »

The only opposition I read was due to the need for authors to maintain another source, but again, I haven't read the whole thread so I might have missed important comments. A poll could work, but there's no way to limit it to mod authors. Might be best to post a new thread with a title asking if anyone would object? Not sure. It's a bit of a tricky situation to navigate.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2020, 09:30:30 AM »

I'd do auto-opt-in.  This forums is already crawled by all the scrapers, this is just another one that just happens to be domain specific. This tool will need critical mass to be effective and you've already provided a way for people to opt out of they don't want their mod showing up.

@Uomoz  Please make sure the listing page only shows mods compatible with the current release by default.  There's at least one person a week on the forums with weird errors because they are running a way out of date mod.  And tags to support specifying version in case people don't want to put it in the title >.<

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »

Oh @Uomoz, what would also be handy is a "debugging" page where a mod author could post a forum link like:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11598.0

And the contents of the URL would be scraped & parsed and the relevant info returned to the client so implementers can make sure they have things correct.
Maybe too much work.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »

Oh @Uomoz, what would also be handy is a "debugging" page where a mod author could post a forum link like:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11598.0

And the contents of the URL would be scraped & parsed and the relevant info returned to the client so implementers can make sure they have things correct.
Maybe too much work.

It's already like this, it reads, indexes and parses all mod forum pages and sends debug data to an interface I use. So making a debug page is not a problem at all. Right now I can accurately parse fetch and archive 95% of the mods more or less. A few can't be properly downloaded since they don't expose a direct download link. All the others just work :)

Here's my debug thingie:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:33:03 AM by Uomoz »

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2020, 09:10:10 PM »

question then
what about mods that are not on this forum?
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]