Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Megastructures and additional terrain  (Read 1824 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Megastructures and additional terrain
« on: January 11, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »

Battles and/or story content that has you navigate your ship(s) through megastructures - things like hollowed out asteroids, megalithic artifical structures, ship graveyards, debris fields - potentially even within planets' atmospheres. The possibilities with it are endless, but the idea is to have battle/exploration gameplay with some static, fairly unique terrain on a bit more of an intimate scale. Some of these spaces could be too tight for larger ships to practically navigate. There could be recursive mission types that take you into these spaces, with rewards like weapons caches, blueprints, goods. Certain sizes might restrict the battles only to frigates, or severely reduced deployment points.
They'd basically be the equivalent of Mount & Blades' bandit hideouts - where you take a few of your best ships with you into a small-scale, close quarters fight. It'd be even better with a system like Starship Legends.

isyourmojofly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Megastructures and additional terrain
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 09:13:41 AM »

I think this would be a lot of fun but also a lot of work. I'd like to see objects and terrain added to the battle map, and potentially the capability to add something like this as well.

Bear in mind that the AI does not do collision detection very well with inanimate objects (there hasn't ever been much need for that). Adding a close-confines mission would make that a necessity, and that sounds like a big old chunk of work.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »

I think this would be a lot of fun but also a lot of work. I'd like to see objects and terrain added to the battle map, and potentially the capability to add something like this as well.

Bear in mind that the AI does not do collision detection very well with inanimate objects (there hasn't ever been much need for that). Adding a close-confines mission would make that a necessity, and that sounds like a big old chunk of work.

Orrrrrr...a chance for single-ship shenanigans!  Imagine an installation style mission where you need to tell your fleet to chill while you explore the inside of a derelict in your personal frigate.  What kind of fun could we have in THAT kind of scenario?

LordofFancy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 04:59:07 PM »

If it was gonna be done, I imagine it would be a different variation of battle mode.  You control a ship like in combat mode but it'd be somewhat like a dungeon crawl? 

I'm not super sure though, I think this for the meantime is more mod territory as I believe it fulls under the separate game category.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 12:50:33 AM »

Maybe so, but I could see it taking off if executed right.  It'd be a fun diversion and a good reason to spec your ship differently than usual or keep a specialized frigate handy on your adventures.  I could see myself enjoying it.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 05:53:39 AM »

Yeah, the idea is less "Standard fleet battles with static obstacles" (Though that'd be fun assuming AI could navigate), more "single/few-ship dungeon-crawl" - and if nothing else, different environments in which to have battles, along the lines of the original Homeworld 2 concept, which would've had the player fighting over/within such megaliths.

Antelope Syrup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »

+1
:)