Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crash to desktop - Manjaro Linux  (Read 2655 times)

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Crash to desktop - Manjaro Linux
« on: January 10, 2020, 07:55:10 AM »

I think the CTD happened when I was traveling inside a star system.

starsector.log @
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ac4gj01z64mdkfl/AADsimnEwJtgXyk78vAgR9vwa?dl=0

Edit 1:
Uploaded 4 hs_err_pid<some numbers>.log files.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:15:30 PM by mymfj2rul3 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Crash to desktop - Manjaro Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:53 AM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble! Just to confirm, is this vanilla or are any mods involved? It's an odd-looking crash, and I'm not seeing how it might happen.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »

No mods.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 11:28:49 AM »

Thank you for confirming, I'll check this out.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:54:50 AM »

For this crash I had a Starsector pop up telling me to look at the starsector.log, should I make bug reports only for crashes when the pop up appears or also when it doesn't? If so should I upload starsector.log or something else for non-popup crashes?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 08:16:01 AM »

If the game crashes without a popup, it should generate an hs_err_pid<some numbers>.log file somewhere - so in that case, it'd be useful to see that, as that should contain a stack trace that shows where it crashed.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 02:16:25 PM »

Thanks.
I just uploaded 4 hs_err_pid<some numbers>.log files in Dropbox.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 02:25:22 PM »

Took a look - two of these are crashes in the graphics driver. One is a crash in libjvm.so, and one is (somehow) in java code, which still means some kind of jvm issue.

Do you have java installed on your system? If so, can you try editing starsector.sh and changing the start of the line, this:
./jre_linux/bin/java

To this?
java

That would run the game using your system's java, which might do better. It seems like something about the version of java bundled with the game isn't agreeing with your system, but it's hard to say what.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 02:26:31 PM »

By the way, was this a clean install of the game, or did you, say, unzip in the same folder as the previous version, or some such? Just making sure because these issues are all quite unusual-looking. (Edit: so it's making me wonder if the install is corrupted, somehow. Might be worth redownloading/reinstalling just to be on the safe side...)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:32:15 PM by Alex »

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 02:52:23 PM »

A quick search for java in my package manager says I have only this installed:
java-runtime-common https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/java-common/
Is the above the only "java" package I need?

Here's what starsector.sh looks like after the edit:
java -server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=./native/linux -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar:commons-compiler.jar:commons-compiler-jdk.jar:starfarer.api.jar:starfarer_obf.jar:jogg-0.0.7.jar:jorbis-0.0.15.jar:json.jar:lwjgl.jar:jinput.jar:log4j-1.2.9.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:fs.sound_obf.jar:fs.common_obf.jar:xstream-1.4.10.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=./saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=./screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=./mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

Running starsector.sh shows this:
$ ./starsector.sh
Unrecognized VM option 'CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt'
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Yes, it was a clean installation.
I just downloaded a fresh copy of Starsector and moved my saved game over.
Running the edited starsector.sh still gives me the above error.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »

Could you run:
java -version

And see what it says? It sounds like you have a later version of java that doesn't support some of the options the game uses. A quick thing to try would be to remove this portion from the .sh "-XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt" and see if it gets further, since it's not essential.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 03:04:00 PM »

java -version -server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=./native/linux -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar:commons-compiler.jar:commons-compiler-jdk.jar:starfarer.api.jar:starfarer_obf.jar:jogg-0.0.7.jar:jorbis-0.0.15.jar:json.jar:lwjgl.jar:jinput.jar:log4j-1.2.9.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:fs.sound_obf.jar:fs.common_obf.jar:xstream-1.4.10.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=./saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=./screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=./mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

$ ./starsector.sh
openjdk version "13.0.1" 2019-10-15
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 13.0.1+9)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 13.0.1+9, mixed mode)

java -version -server -Djava.library.path=./native/linux -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar:commons-compiler.jar:commons-compiler-jdk.jar:starfarer.api.jar:starfarer_obf.jar:jogg-0.0.7.jar:jorbis-0.0.15.jar:json.jar:lwjgl.jar:jinput.jar:log4j-1.2.9.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:fs.sound_obf.jar:fs.common_obf.jar:xstream-1.4.10.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=./saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=./screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=./mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

$ ./starsector.sh
openjdk version "13.0.1" 2019-10-15
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 13.0.1+9)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 13.0.1+9, mixed mode)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »

Ah, I meant just running java -version on its own from the command line, sorry I was unclear. Can you remove the -version and give that second one another go?

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 03:07:32 PM »

java -server -Djava.library.path=./native/linux -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar:commons-compiler.jar:commons-compiler-jdk.jar:starfarer.api.jar:starfarer_obf.jar:jogg-0.0.7.jar:jorbis-0.0.15.jar:json.jar:lwjgl.jar:jinput.jar:log4j-1.2.9.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:fs.sound_obf.jar:fs.common_obf.jar:xstream-1.4.10.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=./saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=./screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=./mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

$ ./starsector.sh
Error: LinkageError occurred while loading main class com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
        java.lang.ClassFormatError: Illegal method name "null.new" in class com/fs/starfarer/StarfarerLauncher

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 03:11:52 PM »

Aha, alright - it looks like the version of java you have installed on your system doesn't work with Starsector. If you're up for it, I'd suggest installing java 7 or 8 and trying it with that. There's no guarantee that it'll help, but it might be more compatible with your system than the java the game is bundled with is.
Pages: [1] 2