Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New player/modder says hi & asks a question (or two, or more :P)  (Read 3331 times)

JP161

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey peeps!

I'm a big fan of space games and a BIG fan of modding. I've seen a few familiar names here so I know I'm in a good company. ;)

Anyway, got my hands on the game just a few days ago... :o Oh My God :o
What an AWESOME game you have here - even if it's 'just 0.51a', as I'm writing this!

To them questions!

I've managed to add a few ships and managed to get them appear in the station & make one as my starting ship.
1. However, I'm wondering what would be the 'easiest' way to get more than the one (I suppose you could add more than one in the station, or at multiple stations) during the game as time goes on? Also without savegame editing later on.

I'm currently using the Minimash mod as well as the ones I've made, but I've done it by integrating my new ships and weapons into that mod. Not the most convinient solution when that mod is updated as I will have to change several files each time. Not a such a big problem, but a chore I'd rather live without, if possible.
2. How, if possible, would I get my own ships & weapons in the game alongside of the Minimash mod without merging them?
3. Also, as in question 1, how to do it so they'd appear later in the game?

As I've used the Minimash mod and it recently split split between more guns and the rest, I noticed both of them have several files with the same name but different contents. Such as "ship_data.csv", "descriptions.csv" and a couple more.
4. Which files can be duplicated 'per mod' basis?

5. I added 2 hangar bays for my ship with the http://sseditor.dyndns.org/sse/dev/ editor but when in-game, the fighters land in the middle of the ship instead of the 2 bays I entered. Where did I go wrong and how to fix it?
Code
   "weaponSlots": [
        {
            "angle": "0",
            "arc": "5",
            "id": "Left_hangar",
            "locations": [
            ],
            "mount": "HARDPOINT",
            "size": "SMALL",
            "type": "LAUNCH_BAY"
        },
        {
            "id": "Right_hangar",
            ],
            "mount": "HARDPOINT",
        },

I'm sure I had more, but those escape me for now.. I'll ask them later when I remember them again! :D

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: New player/modder says hi & asks a question (or two, or more :P)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »

To be valid, launchbays have to define rectangles instead of just points, and should also be hidden, like so:

{
  "id": "Left_hangar",
    -54, 95,
    -54, 105,
    -44, 105,
    -44, 95
  ],
  "mount": "HIDDEN",
},
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:40:29 PM by Trylobot »

JP161

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »

Cool, thanks!

One question though, can they be in any shape as long as it's defined by four corners or does it actually have to be a cube? Can it have more than 4 points in it?

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »

Dunno, never tried. I derive my definition of valid from the stock data. Without looking at Alex's source code or getting word from him, there's no real way to know other than trial-and-error.

JP161

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:11:24 PM »

Ah, right right.

Don't really know why it didn't occur me to check those stock carriers.. O_o ???

Calodine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »

The csv files all merge, that's not an issue.

Easiest way to get more ships? Add 'em to a convoy or two, or (better) make your own - that ensures they will always have some of yours in stock. You'll want to look in scripts/world/corvus for how. I just added mine to the gunrunner convoy, since it's convenient :P