Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Player Gate Construction  (Read 13936 times)

Gitsum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Gate Construction (v1.1.0)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 09:36:20 AM »

I have huge FPS drops when I change between the "Colony Info" and "Resources" tabs when inside one of my colonies. When turning on Performance Mode it fixes the issue. Just wanted to mention that. Love the mod by the way.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 02:20:42 PM »

I have huge FPS drops when I change between the "Colony Info" and "Resources" tabs when inside one of my colonies. When turning on Performance Mode it fixes the issue. Just wanted to mention that. Love the mod by the way.

If you don't mind, could you post your PC specs? Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you're enjoying my mod!

Algester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »

also this is the first time I'll be reporting a crashing bug I have been experiencing for some time related to using some of the skills from this mod namely gate "channel" surfing and using the actual gate

[attachment deleted by admin]

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2020, 03:03:28 PM »

also this is the first time I'll be reporting a crashing bug I have been experiencing for some time related to using some of the skills from this mod namely gate "channel" surfing and using the actual gate

I think I know what's causing this and I'm going to issue a patch to attempt to fix it. Is there a crash every time you activate one of the abilities from this mod, or does the crash only happen intermittently? Is there any particular event or circumstance that always or usually precedes the crash? Thanks for letting me know about this and hopefully I can get it fixed for you!

Algester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »

I think I know what's causing this and I'm going to issue a patch to attempt to fix it. Is there a crash every time you activate one of the abilities from this mod, or does the crash only happen intermittently? Is there any particular event or circumstance that always or usually precedes the crash? Thanks for letting me know about this and hopefully I can get it fixed for you!
it happens intermittently sometimes it works sometimes it just flat out fails either using the gate or "surfing" the channels of the gates, as for replicability I can't give other additional info other than I'm being spammed by my comms relay about stuff that needs to be hunted down and or procurement quests
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:11:47 PM by Algester »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Gate Construction (v1.1.1)
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »

it happens intermittently sometimes it works sometimes it just flat out fails either using the gate or "surfing" the channels of the gates, as for replicability I can't give other additional info other than I'm being spammed by my comms relay about stuff that needs to be hunted down and or procurement quests

I've posted an update that I hope will resolve the crashing you're experiencing. Please let me know what effect, if any, it has. If this doesn't solve the problem, I'll download all the mods on your list and attempt to reproduce it. Thank you for your continued patience!

Algester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2020, 10:31:30 PM »

so far no issues yet

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 12:28:10 AM »

Tested a little bit.

Suggestions (non radical one):

-Astral gate should be an industry, not structure. IMO.
-Astral gate should consume large amount of some kind of resources. Heavy machinery, fuel, crew, volatiles, transplutonics... pick any.
-It is weird, you can build any structure/industry on gatekeeper station. Isn't it should be specialized? Orbital works (NF) + fuel production (ST) + light industry + all demands supplied in faction, makes station profitable even without  AI cores. Using AI cores makes it a money river, not a sinkhole it should be. Suggestion to forbid building all the industries except commerce and military base. Alternative, that industries can have some kind of penalty to production/income not to be over-profitable.
-Gatekeeper station should have a colony condition that decrease stability and population growth. It is dangerous place to live.

Bug: you can abandon gatekeeper station, but gate still active and you can use it for free. No monthly upkeep.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 07:59:19 AM »

-Astral gate should be an industry, not structure. IMO.

Typically industries in Starsector produce a commodity. Even the military base produces crew. That is inconsistent with making the astral gate an industry,as it does not produce a commodity.

-Astral gate should consume large amount of some kind of resources. Heavy machinery, fuel, crew, volatiles, transplutonics... pick any.

I'm currently working on a new industry that can only be built on planets with ruins on them. It will produce "Domain-Era Artifacts" corresponding with the size of the ruins on the planet. Ultimately I'm going to have the astral gate, Kletka simulator, and all my terraforming structures demand that commodity (optionally of course in case the player doesn't want to use that industry/commodity). The astral gate will demand an enormous amount of them, forcing the player to find a vast ruins planet to colonize before they can profitably run an astral gate network.

-It is weird, you can build any structure/industry on gatekeeper station. Isn't it should be specialized? Orbital works (NF) + fuel production (ST) + light industry + all demands supplied in faction, makes station profitable even without  AI cores. Using AI cores makes it a money river, not a sinkhole it should be. Suggestion to forbid building all the industries except commerce and military base. Alternative, that industries can have some kind of penalty to production/income not to be over-profitable.

Unfortunately it's not possible for me forbid construction of vanilla structures like I can with my own modded ones. I agree that there is a balance issue with the high revenue that can be generated by the gatekeeper station, but in my upcoming patch I hope this will be counterbalanced by the need to complete a quest to unlock the astral gates and the need to have a vast ruins colony with 100%+ accessibility. This should prevent the player from generating huge revenues from the gatekeeper station until they reach the late game, in which case they will have almost unlimited money anyway.

In addition, I think many players use the "Cramped Quarters" option to effectively limit the size of station markets. The astral gate has the same upkeep regardless of market size, while profit-generating vanilla industries will be less able to counteract the astral gate upkeep if they aren't producing much due to cramped quarters keeping the gatekeeper station market population low.

Something I'm going to look at is increasing astral gate upkeep based on the amount of exports and/or market share the gatekeeper station has. That way the huge income will be "taxed" down to a more reasonable level. I do want to maintain some level of profitability for the gatekeeper station market, as access to a pseudo-gate network would be extremely valuable economically and people would rush to start businesses/industries nearby to gates.

-Gatekeeper station should have a colony condition that decrease stability and population growth. It is dangerous place to live.

This is resolved by enabling the cramped quarters option in the settings. I hope that vanilla/Nex get a similar feature, because the only reason cramped quarters isn't the default setting is because I want to maintain consistency with vanilla/Nex station behavior.

Bug: you can abandon gatekeeper station, but gate still active and you can use it for free. No monthly upkeep.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll correct this in the next patch.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 08:13:05 AM »

I'm currently working on a new industry that can only be built on planets with ruins on them. It will produce "Domain-Era Artifacts" corresponding with the size of the ruins on the planet. Ultimately I'm going to have the astral gate, Kletka simulator, and all my terraforming structures demand that commodity (optionally of course in case the player doesn't want to use that industry/commodity). The astral gate will demand an enormous amount of them, forcing the player to find a vast ruins planet to colonize before they can profitably run an astral gate network.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:15:44 AM by Mondaymonkey »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 01:58:48 AM »

The astral gate will demand an enormous amount of them, forcing the player to find a vast ruins planet to colonize before they can profitably run an astral gate network.

I just found a really great system for initial colony. Will it be enough one "extensive ruins" and one "widespread ruins" planets? If using all the Alpha core spam and administrators? Or I better look more for vast ruins?

UPD: will tech-mining industry deterioration affect "Domain-Era Artifacts" industry? I mean, shall I build tech-mining and wipe it's potential before building your industry, or I better don't?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 02:03:13 AM by Mondaymonkey »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 04:56:50 AM »

My plan is to have the Astral gate require 8 domain-era artifacts, and for the four ruin sizes to produce 1/2/4/8 artifacts. With an AI core admin and an AI core on the industry, extensive ruins will produce 6 artifacts, which will greatly reduce the cost of the gate, but will still be 2 short of completely removing the deficit cost.

I anticipate that my latest update will not be backwards compatible with previous versions of this mod. I'm folding this gate mod into my station mod, with the option to disable all the gate features if the player wishes. This is so the station mod features like cramped quarters and lights overlays can be supported with the gatekeeper station. If you're already using the current version of the gate mod on a particular save, there's a high probably you will encounter bugs if you try to update to the new version when I release it. Sorry!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 05:20:30 AM »

OK. I have started a new game recently. Just will use a map seed to restart without a gate mod. I have no progress to loose. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]