Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vram low message, but otherwise fine  (Read 8353 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vram low message, but otherwise fine
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 08:46:42 AM »

I've not done any further measuring because:
One, I'm on MacOS and the built-in activity monitor application does not appear to give me any measure of VRAM usage.
And two, I'm lazy and not inclined to go looking for some separate monitoring application off the internet when Starsector runs fine.
Maybe HarmfulMechanic would have a suggestion here, since they said they'd tested it on MacOS?

As far as 'assuming it's erroneous' - well, I mean, it's also possible that it's merely technically accurate? I could see aggressive caching resulting in a displayed 100% use without actually meaning that you can't get space for more stuff.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 10:57:12 AM »

Use Activity Monitor's "GPU History" (Window>GPU History or command-4). You can also use iStat, which is just a handy thing to have on your Mac anyway (I'd call it a must-have, along with smcFanControl and TechTool Pro).

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 11:28:45 AM »

Ah, huh, I'd been under the impression that the "GPU History" thing was displaying GPU processor usage rather than VRAM usage. It's not exactly well-documented.

However, its little blue bars seem to hover at around the 50% mark while cruising around in the campaign - which is where I'm getting the 'zero vram' message from Starsector - and I haven't seen it spike above 2/3 outside of combat, inventory/fleet screens and, for whatever bizarre reason, the map screen, where it goes to 100% and stays there.  ...Yeah, that's acting like a GPU processor usage indicator rather than anything VRAM related, especially since it goes back to near-zero any time I tab out of Starsector with the game paused.

Let me go get iStat, then.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »

If you want to get way out into the weeds, XCode has VRAM usage breakdowns that are pretty comprehensive.
Pages: 1 [2]