Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New update during xmas, release 2020?  (Read 7905 times)

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
New update during xmas, release 2020?
« on: December 22, 2019, 05:38:11 PM »

2019 has been a particular slow year for Starsector. We've had, what, 1 iteration and 4 blog posts? Will we have a new update to sink our teeth into this holiday or should I just check back every 4 months or so in 2020?

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New update during xmas, release 2020?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 01:03:12 AM »

To my knowledge, if Alex isn't paying anything, it's because he's busy making content. Hard to say what is he working on now, besides skills and raiding. I thought it was supposed to be endgame content update, but I guess that scope grew a bit during the development...

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 04:07:32 AM »

is the saying "all I want for Christmas is a teaser post on work he is doing?"

Honestly good communication about the direction you are going goes a long way to making fans happy.  Its not that we NEED new content as often as big published titles.  But thoughts and progress updates keep us engaged and might help iron out features and program issues. 

Im sure many people that like this game dabble in code of the gods.  and could help with AI logic snags.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »

Starsector: "That's my secret cap. Every year is a slow year for Starsector."

Nah, I jest. Way I see it, this game's development is kind of like Better Call Saul. Sort of slow moment-to-moment, but the payoff is spectacular.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »

is the saying "all I want for Christmas is a teaser post on work he is doing?"

Honestly good communication about the direction you are going goes a long way to making fans happy.  Its not that we NEED new content as often as big published titles.  But thoughts and progress updates keep us engaged and might help iron out features and program issues. 

Im sure many people that like this game dabble in code of the gods.  and could help with AI logic snags.
I think people have a pretty slanted view on this.  As nice as it is to get updates, it's important that the game moves. 

Coding isn't easy, and sometimes it's not because it's hard to figure out what to do, but just because it's tedious ("yeah...i could redo that, but then i need to redo this....and then that).  I dunno if he has a day job on top of that, but either way it's a time consuming thing, and blog posts don't write themselves.  If the choice is code more vs blog, I'd certainly prefer silence on our end.

Smaller updates "Hey look at this" aren't as easy as people think either, because the concern is showing something off before it's actually final, mixed with trying to keep surprises real.  It doesn't sound like a big deal, but in practice you wind up with a lot of vocal minority feedback which can warp things (or hell just hurt moral, which is a real thing when you're working on a complex project).

It's super time consuming to test and iterate on new systems, and you don't want to wind up having people hype for something that doesn't make it, or annoyed about something that doesn't stick past the testing stage.

Sure it'd be nice to have more updates, but it's important to keep in perspective that just vomiting out content isn't easy.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »

Yeah, these days it's the games that vomit out patches every week that are most prone to putting in half baked stuff and fixes.

At least when starsector updates it's usually bug free for me, and if not Alex is hot on the forum to know why not and to fix the issue.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »

I suspect it's unlikely soon. Checking back in 4 month seems reasonable.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 07:21:17 PM »

Another thing to consider is that, while the recent huge influx of new players was nearly certainly a financial boon, Alex did have to deal with a lot of support requests and suchnot. That takes time as well.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 06:34:29 PM »

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »

I'd expect 0.10 sometime early 2020. Usually you'll know when it's coming because Alex will post patch notes on the forums a month or two before the release.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile