Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Cryosleeper  (Read 6556 times)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Cryosleeper
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:51:50 AM »

Allow it a 1 time move to a settled system.

In my playtime I have found 6 Cryosleepers across at least 500+ hours of play. 0 of them were in systems worth settling. I get they are super rare and should remain as such, I fully understand this. The problem is they are rare RNG and subject to more RNG (even if it's skewed towards better systems) makes finding it a kick in the balls instead of a happy surprise.

Just a thought.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cryosleeper
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:04:12 AM »

Allow it a 1 time move to a settled system.
It would also help those who reached their colony limit and cannot build another without taking penalties (assuming no alpha core abuse to ignore limits).

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 04:34:47 PM »

Seems reasonable. Even if the Cryosleeper is in a "good" system, the system itself may not be in a desirable location. I don't think it's a stretch to handwave an explanation that the pod has an emergency/backup propulsion system that allows it to travel somewhere. Maybe it takes 30 days or some such but it gets there.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 04:38:43 PM »

Hmm, maybe if it was "within the same constellation" or some such so it wasn't just a flat-out bonus that you'd get anywhere. Will consider this!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 05:11:12 PM »

Could, upon defeating the Guardian, get the Guardian with a built-in "cryosleeper" hullmod, representing the Cryosleeper being towed along to whatever colony you want. If you did that, though, I would suggest limiting it to one colony.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »

Agree, better put colonies is some closer to core, with huge amount of planets with all resources for self-sufficiency and self deffensive options, or other system with such conditions. Considering to all benefits whith player can look for colonies, benefits of cryosleepers are insignificant, i see that in all my games.

Just take a look, creasleepers should have some engine, yes? Let us move them, ufter some engine rapairs or so on, expansive and time consuming, or some way how to take it in tow by our fleet to put it where we like.

If it wiil to stay how it is now, it ssems crepolseepers should remain useless, it just exsits, no more.

Add: just take a look how it warks now. Look for some system with 5+ planets wuth all resources, for example i got system with 10 planets, settle all of them, manage all of them by alfas, itstall alfas it all structures, build military base and starfortress at each, and we have huge amount patrols and military fleets in that system, each stable lokation, jump point are guarding by 5-10 patrol fleets, if some one are raiding or attacking one planet all patrols fly to help with defending, one momens i saw about 20 patrol fleets where helping in defending of colony, also, about 20 fleets where flew for reinforcement, so such system is unbeateble. To all this you have all producrion in one system (10 planets, okey, i have 6 heavy industries for constructiong for my fleet), also, i have income about 3millions per month, no needs to make more, just one system is enought and you are god. Now compare with system with 2-3 planet, but with creosleeper, the main problem is that such systems seems to be not become unbeateble, less amount of colonies = less system military power, patrols from other systems will not help. So, cryosleeper? No tnx.
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 05:42:54 AM »

Why I do not colonize systems with sleepers:

* Bad planets.  Or at least worse than other planets in other systems.

* Bad location.  Most if not all sleepers I found were moderately or far from core, enough to take accessibility penalties.  Colonies far from core are a bit of a pain to defend personally, and it takes longer to travel to core to play space cop against the zombie pirate horde.  (There is a reason why kill all core worlds is tempting.)  It also makes exploring the other side of the sector a royal pain.  Long distance trips I barely have time to do because of all of the babysitting player needs to do.

Also, bringing sleepers to a system might mean less need to use Free Port solely for population bonus.  Free Port is a no-brainer as soon as the colony can defend itself because it has nearly half of all population bonuses.  (Sure, much more income is nice, but only if I do not kill everyone, which I might to eliminate excessive babysitting.  I just want my size 8+ colonies ASAP.)  I do not know how much the sleeper gives compared to Free Port and Growth Incentives.

P.S.
Now compare with system with 2-3 planet, but with creosleeper, the main problem is that such systems seems to be not become unbeateble, less amount of colonies = less system military power, patrols from other systems will not help. So, cryosleeper? No tnx.
Not completely true.  Some of the patrols will leak into hyperspace, and if the systems are close enough (i.e., in a constellation), then patrols in hyperspace can intercept some of the enemy fleets.  True, it may not be totally reliable, but it is some defense.

Also, with my computer, I avoid colonizing more than two or three planets in my system because I may get slowdown if there is too much stuff in the system, especially if there are debris fields all over the place.  (Debris fields need to disappear after they are salvaged.)  Assuming unlimited colony slots (from alpha cores), I prefer to colonize everything, although I may refrain if it means my computer chokes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:02:24 AM by Megas »

Shadowkiller

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »

When I first ran into cryosleepers I was of the same mind as most of the people here, that they were largely useless and disappointing. But the more I've played the game the more I realized that such type of thinking isn't really in the spirit of the game. In my current playthrough I ran into it in a system with only two planets that most people would consider habitable, a tundra and methane planet, and a smattering of much more hostile planets, at the very edge of the sector about as far as away from the core as you can be. Originally I was annoyed but after taking a look at the core I decided to immerse myself in the atmosphere of the game. The majority population of the core lives in hell hole planets that don't even have atmospheres, some of the two biggest population centres being Barren planets where the people live underground. The cryosleeper was a legendary find and my entrepreneur of character capitalized on it completely, colonizing five planets and creating an in system Powerhouse that could stand up to most factions. With an AI Core on each Revival Center I had five level seven planets in less than 2 years.

All of this on planets where you can't survive outside without a thermal heat suit, or at all... finding a cryosleeper in a system with five habitable planets is obviously the dream, but with the state of the sector as it is I don't really think it's realistic or should at all be expected. It's a grimdark universe where people are barely surviving and war is a constant after all. If I think anything should be changed with the cryosleeper system it's that it should only spawn in a system with at least 4 planets, with varying degrees of resources, none of them need to be habitable of course, I just think the option for the player to actually utilize it should be there if they desire. In my first game my most profitable Planet out of a plethora of habitable one's was a molten hell 250% hazard planet that was absolutely teeming with rare and normal ores, I turned it into a mining and Refinery world and was raking in the dough from the massive production. You don't need a habitable world to make a profit, or make a home, as the rest of the core has shown.

Also, The cryosleeper currently make lore sense as i believe they were sent out before FTL and Gates were invented so it would take a very long time to move. And Jerry rigging it with a current FTL runs the risk of butchering a few million people XD

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »

My main puzzle with cryosleepers is that they have one purpose and one purpose only.  They boost your pop growth IF you colonize in system.  There's nothing else we can do with them.  When you find a derelict ship you can claim it or turn it into more salvage.  When you meet a fleet you can fight them or run.  When you land at a colony you can do a bunch of things.  When you find a cryosleeper...you do nothing.  Even if you colonize the system you're just getting a passive bonus to a thing that ultimately is just another string of passive bonuses.  There's nothing really engaging about sleepers.

A wise pirate once said: "The best kind of treasure is the kind that leads to more treasure!"

The really cool stuff is stuff that lets us DO cool things and leads us to more cool things.  Cryosleepers just kind of...sit there.  They're a bit of a dead end.  It'd be interesting if things were happening with cryosleepers that we had to get involved with.  Say you find one...and it's malfunctioning, risking the population's lives if you don't bring stuff to repair it or something...and when you do you awaken officers with unique talents or the like...and one of those officers suggests you explore some system somewhere for some other kind of secret...and so on.  Or maybe you say screw 'em and it becomes a source of organs and other materials for several months until it breaks down into a debris field...and the humanitarians of the sector are not happy with you for what you've done.

What if cryosleepers could be utilized as a source of crew or marines?  What if, upon activating it, the populace wakes up and forms a new faction...which then proceeds to either befriend you or make war on the rest of the sector?  Tons of possibilities and plot hooks are available.  Sleepers just need a little more dimension and choice to be interesting.  Moving them to a better system sounds like a bit of a worthwhile undertaking but again, if it's just population growth then it just becomes another funnel towards the unlimited cash endgame.  Advantageous, but not very exciting.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 08:12:27 PM »

1. Harvest the Cryosleeper for an epic haul of organs

Only thing it needs. 5% chance it'll boost your colony, 95% chance it improves meme value.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 11:27:53 PM »

Alex is experimenting with some things. https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1215445982369976320
Spoiler
[close]

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »

That is wonderful news.

Doomrider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 01:28:14 AM »

OK, logically it absolutely should be possible to tug the criosleeper to whatever system you want, but it shouldn't be easy one klick thing. As I understand criosleepers predate modern jump drives, so it would take time, resources and manpower to refit them with one, else they'd take years to get anywhere. And because it's big it would need about a thousand heavy machinery and crew and a few months of refiting. When it is refitted transform into a ship in your fleet with high supply upkeep and high fuel consumption (and no mothballing option) and a max burn of like 4, so you'd need to bring a fleet of tugs and tankers and haulers filled with supplies (make sure to watn the player that he'd need those nefore he stars retrofiting) to get it anywhere. Then you can add pirates or luddics attacking your convoy on the way as an extra diffuculty, so you'd have to bring your combat ships in your criosleeper convoy.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 08:20:51 AM »

Cryopods from sleeper ship can be special items used as "charges" for cryorevival facility. This way amount of new population is finite and can be transported via cargo ships. This opens some dark uses as well for black market trading.