Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Max Computer Specs  (Read 6097 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Max Computer Specs
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »

Also is it just me or Mods seem to make the game smoother than the Vanilla version?

Huh, with the exception of a couple mods designed to improve performance, this would be pretty strange. Mods should be increasing the required memory and GPU memory, and several add in combat scripts of varying efficiencies that can tax the CPU.

The graphics utility mods are all well written and pretty though - maybe the enhanced lighting effects make things appear 'smoother'? There are a bunch of glow effects that are quite nice that might give that impression.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »

Strange I play just fine on my RX 480 8gb card. It's 3 years old now, but I am about to upgrade to the RX 5700 XT in 2 month's(income tax). Is that a bad idea for this game? It shows it's 70+% faster than my 480 on benchmarks. Granted I run this 480 with a I5-7600k. I plan to get a Ryzen 5 or 7 as well. I keep seeing "AMD cant do openGL," but my AMD card seems to run every game I throw at it just fine including Starsector. It has only recently started to only be able to do "high" to "medium" settings on most newer games. I also have had zero issues with my drivers over the last few years(switched from Nvidia). The 2070 super is $100 more for only a very small fps gain in benchmarks.
Well now I'm a bit confused myself, tbh. On the one hand, I know for sure that AMD OpenGL drivers are bad. On the other hand, even with the graphics mods enabled I don't seem to be bottlenecking at the GPU, it seems to be pCPU. (I thought Alex had said things are usually GPU bound, but I can't find the quote so uh maybe I imagined it.)

Stock Ryzen 1600's aren't blazing fast by any means on single core, but I'm also able to play pretty large battles comfortably so * shrug *. So honestly, while Nvidia OpenGL is miles ahead, I don't think it really matters for this game. Now for other OpenGL titles it might.

Just to chime in on this, it's entirely possible that *some* combinations of AMD's OpenGL drivers + cards work fine for Starsector, as appears to be the case for the 480 you have. On other AMD cards/driver versions, you'd get performance that's similar to a low-end integrated card, maybe a bit worse. This doesn't seem to have any correlation with the nominal power of the card. So upgrading to the RX 5700 might indeed tank your framerate. Or it might not. Unfortunately, I don't know there's any way to tell aside from trying it.

As far as what the game is "bound" by, it's really about 50/50 cpu/gpu, so it depends on which one is weaker (or, in the case of some AMD driver + card combinations, just happens to struggle with what the game is doing).

huhn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »

so i may have issues with my 5700 XT because it is literally idling.
with idle i mean ~5% GPU load at ~160 mhz so not even close to 1 % load.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2019, 02:29:36 PM »

Are you also getting poor performance, with the CPU also not having any cores near 100% in combat?

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »

whats interesting for me is i get many hours of 60fps in the "overmap" but if i have battles (and especially long battles like dickerson) my fps afterward goes in the toilet. like i had 10fps in a empty system. maybe some garbage collection issues after battle. and also sometimes i click too fast in the dialogue windows and the game slows to a crawl. just my 2 cents on performance.

apart from that i love the game!

huhn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2019, 12:50:38 AM »

Are you also getting poor performance, with the CPU also not having any cores near 100% in combat?
i don't really get 100 % at single core but zen 2 are not easy to read...

i don't even understand what a performance GPU should be doing in this game.
this is not a judgement of the quality of the game.
darkest dungeon looks amazing great too but you clearly don't need a powerful GPU for this.

an intel iGPU can run this game fine and it is magnitudes slower then even an older RX 580.
i still have a couple of nvidia card laying around here i could test too. why should i my 5700 is taking a nap.

i can't recommend the NAVI series anyway. keep your finger of it if you like having a working PC. this will change with time but they are not there yet.
the current driver reports hardware decoding as hardware encoding...

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2019, 02:01:11 AM »

I benchmarked this before.

You can have low CPU & GPU use and still get bad FPS in this game. This is one of the cases of AMD OpenGL having some weird overhead or stalling behavior with some cards, like R9 series for example.

I had a '08 videocard, a NVidia GTX 275, which ran the game infinitely better than the card I have now, a R9 270X which is supposed to be many times more powerful. Go figure. You can run SS fine on an '08 videocard, it just needs to be the right one.

Zen 2 should not max out in SS.

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »

My FPS problem is now solved since I have given the game 16+GB of RAM
I can now do Capital warfare with 50+ ships on my screen at 500 Battle Size with 30+ FPS

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2019, 01:13:17 AM »

I have given the game 16+GB of RAM
''How much RAM do you want for this game?'' - ''YES''
Please don't take me too seriously.

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2019, 01:21:50 AM »

i have 16GB in total. what happens if i assign all of it to starsector? because i currently have it capped at 6 and i've seen it go as high as ~5GB. i don't want to run out of memory as that would introduce a different kind of lag.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 01:40:09 AM »

i have 16GB in total. what happens if i assign all of it to starsector? because i currently have it capped at 6 and i've seen it go as high as ~5GB. i don't want to run out of memory as that would introduce a different kind of lag.

Your computer will dynamically assign swap memory on your primary hard drive. You may run out and page fault* but probably not. If there is a total memory error its more likely to due to inability to allocate (and the program will fail to start)

*this will BSOD you

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »

Just set it to 80% of your Max RAM amounts but this will prevent you from running any other app on the background while playing your game though
So keep an eye on your Task Manager and reserve at least 3-7GB for the System, Windows 10 Uses 5GB on Idle thats with my Utorrent running on background and nothing else
My NVME SSD can handle the rest if it ever goes over hahaha XD
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:53:26 PM by NorthernWatch »
Pages: 1 2 [3]