Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Max Computer Specs  (Read 6099 times)

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Max Computer Specs
« on: December 09, 2019, 08:20:40 PM »

What should be the computer specs that I need if I wanted to have decent FPS on a 500 Battle Size?

atm on my 500 with 4-5 Ships on my side and the enemy has 10-20 the FPS is at 10-20 on Zoom Out, while 20+ zoomed in depending on the amounting of Weapons Fire.

Im Running FX-8350 with RX 580 8GB GPU and 16GB RAM
and the games installed on my NVME 2.0 500GB Samsung

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Max Computer Specs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 10:50:23 PM »

Yea it's really weird if you're having that low framerates with those specs. What mods are you running tho? Because AFAIK even with the best possible specs, the game can't really handle huge battles (especially with lots of fighters) with graphical mods.

EDIT: Oh yeah and did you allocate enough RAM for the game? The default is only 1gb and you have 16 lmao.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:52:51 PM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 05:28:25 AM »

Without mods, your config is more than enough for size 500 battles. My computer is 3 years old and runs Starsector on 500 battlesize smoothly.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 07:07:10 AM »

There is a difference between 500 size with few battleships and 500 size with Spark Drover spam.

My eight or so year old computer can handle 500 size just fine if my fleet is mostly big warships.  With Spark Drover spam, my computer chugs a bit.

morriganj

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 06:57:57 PM »

I found that every few hours, I will save, exit the game, and then reload the game. This seems to clear up most of the performance issues for me.

My specs are similar to yours and I usually don't have a problem.

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »

With 8 mods The game runs alot more smoother than Vanilla for some reason I do not know lol

On Default Vanilla I struggle to even play it smoothly on a Capital Battle where a Tachyon Lance takes 5s to actual reload due to lag

and I dont think Ive edit the ram yet so Ill look that up and see if it fixes it

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »

It isn't a surprise at all that it is running bad on your rig, the FX-8350 is extremely obsolete and was a low-performance CPU even when it was new and came out in 2012. And your AMD video card... AMD cards runs OpenGL badly, so yea you got a perfect storm of performance issues due to hardware here.

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 07:32:09 PM »

Okay I cant seem to modify the vmparams? I replaced the jre with the 64bit java but now it cant read the vmparams file?

Any instructions on how to do this?

EDIT: I downloaded someones copy of the vmparams and I defaulted back to the original jre and now the game runs better at the 6GB one but I still dont know how to modify it to the max
FINALLY AFTER 5YRS I can play it a bit better than usual now 30+
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:38:53 PM by NorthernWatch »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 10:22:40 PM »

6 GBs of RAM allocation should be plenty for all but the biggest mod lists. But what Meso says is true: This is a perfect storm of a weak CPU, (and starsector is CPU bound), and an old AMD video card. IIRC the RX series has had tons of issues with starsector
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 12:44:48 AM »

I can confirm that the RX 580 is extremely poor at Starsector considering its nominal power. A few years ago I upgraded my rig to it and it was no benefit despite being about 6 years newer than the card it was replacing. For contrast, I started playing SS on a mobo integrated GPU and it ran just fine (must have had decent openGL support).

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 06:27:24 AM »

On Default Vanilla I struggle to even play it smoothly on a Capital Battle where a Tachyon Lance takes 5s to actual reload due to lag
That's amazing, your lag increases the rate of fire of the Tachyon lance.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »

The FX-8350 is a very bad CPU for starsector additionally. It is worse than my current machine which i would never dare attempt 500 battle size on.

Specifically the 8350 is designed to really use all its cores together well. The problem is that many games and especially Starsector tend to rely on a single core. This is because the majority of the processing cannot easily (or at all) be temporally separated. Before calculating and asigning damage from attack 2 i must know whether or not attack 1 hit and did damage and how much. Everything must be done in sequence and so an extra core cannot add much value. Desiging games to take advantage of multiple cores is exceedingly difficult and Starsector does not really try.

For soecific benchmark info:
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-FX-8350/Rating/1489

As another example how this works in the current gen. The i5-9600k is about 5% slower in benchmarks(indistinguishable when overclocked) than the i9-9900k until you get to “full core speed” where the i9 is ~40% faster.  But if you look at in game benchmarks the vast majority of games show basically no difference. Its only when doing the server(and not personal/gaming) oriented tests that the 9900 gets to the point where its advantages matter. But the 9900 is twice the price.

Your card was designed in the time when everyone thought that multi-core was going to revolutionize gaming. And it skimped on the single core power making it decidedly weak for non-workstation tasks.

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 07:05:03 PM »

Ive been trying, "Trying" to save up to upgrade my computer to the latest series of AMD, Which would be for the CPU R9-3900x 12 core and the GPU Radeon VII

Would this make even a few FPS difference?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »

Ive been trying, "Trying" to save up to upgrade my computer to the latest series of AMD, Which would be for the CPU R9-3900x 12 core and the GPU Radeon VII

Would this make even a few FPS difference?

Yes, the 3900x is much faster than the FX-8350, most importantly for SS is its far superior single threaded performance.
Can't speak to the Radeon VII; a strange choice, as it offers poor performance per dollar, performance per watt, and dodgy drivers.
I'd go for an Nvidia card; 1080ti, or a 2070 super.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 08:21:31 PM »

I will state this again, AMD video cards can't into OpenGL.

http://richg42.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-truth-on-opengl-driver-quality.html
This is just as true today as it was in 2014, if not even more so...
Pages: [1] 2 3