Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Performance questions  (Read 1780 times)

morriganj

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Performance questions
« on: December 17, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »

So I am in the process of upgrading my computer this christmas.

Just wondering from other people's perspectives, is Starsector more CPU or GPU intensive? How does the game perform for you and what are your specs?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Performance questions
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 05:49:37 PM »

CPU and single core speed specifically.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 12:50:47 AM »

Also some people reported that certain AMD cards have issues with Starsector. They get like 15 fps in normal battles. But in general even the very old GPUs can run this no problem, the old pc I had, had a GT 630 and it was still the CPU that slowed me down.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 03:46:48 AM »

I've just recently upgraded and can offer a tiny amount of insight.

My original machine was.... not well suited to Starsector. It could handle vanilla fairly well, but was very restricted when it came to mods.
It was a 4th gen i3, with 4Gb RAM, and a GT730 GPU with 1Gb.
This was almost entirely bottlenecked by the GPU, which could not handle even simple postprocessing without significant slowdown. GraphicsLib had to be entirely disabled for the game to be playable.
Inadequate GPU with an inadequate amount of memory. Still better than trying to run it through the integrated chipset though.

The other restriction being system memory.
4Gb is not really enough. You can only meaningfully allocate 50% of the system resource to Java (up to a maximum of 8 ), and 2Gb is not really enough if you're really keen on adding mods.
I had a hard limit of utilities plus 2 factions before it started to struggle.

New machine is a 9th gen i5, with 16Gb RAM, and a GTX1660 with 6Gb.
This will be bottlenecked by the CPU, and the aforementioned single core restriction. "Will be" because that bottleneck is something I've not found yet.
16Gb RAM is possibly overkill, but that's a personal thing between how much you can afford now vs. probable expansion of software requirements in the future.
8Gb is probably a reasonable baseline for 'right now', and will allow you to allocate 4Gb to Java which is good enough a for pile of mods.

Performance is a vast improvement with no slowdowns noted so far, even with full postprocessing active in a fighter-heavy battle.
Not changed the battle size from default though, so that might be something to look at.

From this experience, I'd guess that for Starsector the GPU is probably the most important bit. Followed by RAM. Then CPU.
I don't know a great deal about the exact mechanics, so it's likely someone who does could offer some more concrete thoughts.

D.R made a very useful/interesting post about system requirements here.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:53:18 AM by Serenitis »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 04:04:28 AM »

@Serenitis
Woah you had a veeery similar pc as my old one, and yeah mods were a no no, couldn't handle graphics lib without turning everything off. But I was just saying you don't need much to run vanilla, since some even struggle playing vanilla with an AMD card.

About the RAM, I have 8 GB now and allocated 4 to Starsector and I'm yet to stumble upon any performance drops even when playing with multiple mods. I guess it can't hurt giving more if you have 16 or 32 but honestly right now, there shouldn't be any issues regarding RAM.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 04:25:33 AM »

But I was just saying you don't need much to run vanilla
Yeah. Vanilla seems fairly impressively tolerant of system specs. I used to play 0.5/0.6 on a second-hand laptop with possibly the least effective cooling fan ever.

8Gb is definitely good enough for Starsector plus a ton of mods.
I just got more because I could afford it, and knew I didn't want to mess with it in the (forseeable) future. Lazy!

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 06:09:23 AM »

Yeah I think a clearer distinction between running starsector the game and starsector the graphically modded game would help.

morriganj

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »

@serenitis

Thank you for the insight!

Finished building the new-ish PC yesterday. I have an older 6th gen i7 and a new RTX 2070. Hopefully in the next year or two I can tackle the aging CPU. Looking forward to trying a new playthrough to see if I notice any difference

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 09:51:20 PM »

Specify 80% of your RAM into the game and youll be fine