Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Freelancer/Privateer  (Read 3028 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Freelancer/Privateer
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 12:44:13 AM »

Hope you can get some ideas for Starsector while playing it!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 08:15:05 AM »

Breaks prevent burnout (the bane of all good devs) and if it inspires you in a positive way it'll be good for everyone.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »

Having spent a couple of hours with it (still in the Troy system, with a decked-out Tarsus) it's held up surprisingly well. I mean the UI is painful but it's a usable sort of painful, and the game's still fun! I don't know if that sort of thing has a place in Starsector, but the way enemy pilots have a discernible skill level is neat. If they're not very good, you can just insta-gib them with torpedoes, but a better pilot can be a bit of a bother even in a Talon.

Also, starting to think that the Path might've been subconsciously inspired - or at least influenced - by the Retros...

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 08:51:45 AM »

Also, starting to think that the Path might've been subconsciously inspired - or at least influenced - by the Retros...

I didn't wanna say lol. But in all honesty Retros seemed lame even at the time, Path is fleshed out and scary at times with ships worthy of fearing. They seem like something that might really socially happen in the those conditions, unlike retros. Path is wrong about nearly everything but they are right about one thing, over reliance on tech. That one thing would be enough justification for some people to support them, people love simple explanations for complex things.

Maybe inspired or influenced but certainly a vast step forward in complexity.

I don't know if that sort of thing has a place in Starsector

The planet screens are a nice idea, Freelancer did it too, with the difference biome/industry types you could prolly put in some nice art to make the worlds feel more unique. Maybe fold the art into the UI that already exist? New Detroit from Privateer is burned forever into my memory because it's the first world covered in industry and cities, dirty polluted dark. Epic.

I agree most of it has no real place in this game, Starsector is infinitely larger scale and scope. You have about million other factors to consider.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2019, 09:17:23 PM »

The planet screens are a nice idea, Freelancer did it too, with the difference biome/industry types you could prolly put in some nice art to make the worlds feel more unique. Maybe fold the art into the UI that already exist? New Detroit from Privateer is burned forever into my memory because it's the first world covered in industry and cities, dirty polluted dark. Epic.

That's funny, was actually thinking about this before even firing up Privateer. Not as anything specific, just about visuals for giving places more personality and how that might be approached...

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »

Reading that makes me smile. Those kind of small details help shape the overall experience and create lasting memories.
Pages: 1 [2]