Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crash to Desktop while Saving (Error figuring out MIRV spec details? - Or not?)  (Read 3582 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

That's very curious - what resource is the graph showing, do you know?

cathar

• Lieutenant
  • ludd is bae
    • View Profile

It just says GPU utilization / capacity (translated from German Auslastung)

Only tool I have to check this is Windows Taks Manager unfortunately

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile

If you are on Windows 10? You can check VRAM usage in the Task Manager. If you are on an older version of Windows? You will need to use a program such as MSI Afterburner instead. It would be very good to check this, but I am almost certain your issue is not enough VRAM for the number of and what specific mods you want to run! That card really is going to let you down in a lot of ways :(

But once you identify for sure if that is the issue or not? You can use that data (and keep checking) to figure out your exact threshold for the number of and what mods your system can safely run for SS.

Anyways keep in mind, comparing the resource usage of SS to the game examples you listed? Isn't really an accurate measurement of anything. SS front-loads all graphics assets on startup except for star system backgrounds which are loaded one at a time as you move between systems. Also the sort of mod list from your screencap? Is literally increasing the total amount of content in your game by several orders of magnitude. The reality is, a 2gb vram graphics card is horribly obsolete and you need to temper your gaming expectations or upgrade your video card. Will make you able to run a ton more SS mods, and make other games run way better too.

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile

I am sure that crash during saving issue you have is because your modlist is way too big for your graphics card.

I have modlist of similar size to yours and it takes 2.8GB of graphics memory, as you can see on image below. My specs:
Intel i5-9400F
8GB RAM
GTX 1660
Win 10

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
System info:
---------------
Game version: Starsector 0.9.1a-RC8
Platform: windows (64-bit)
Resolution: 1366x768 (60hz, 32bpp, windowed)
Launch args: -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms3072m -Xmx3072m -Xss1024k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=.

Active mod list:
------------------
Regular mods (40):
 - Appro-Light Council [ApproLight] 0.8.0-RC3 by Author:Originem. Artist:BZOne, Light of Shadow. Special Thanks:MesoTronik, Nia, APuJun
 - Arsenal Expansion 1.5.3h by Inventor Raccoon
 - Automatic Orders 0.3.2 by Blothorn
 - Better Colonies 1.2 by Techpriest
 - Blackrock Drive Yards 0.9.5 by cycerin & co.
 - CK Industries 2.0.1 by CKCritter and Astarat
 - Captain's Log 0.0.1 by stormbringer951
 - Combat Analytics & Detailed Combat Results 4.5 by Nick XR
 - Commission Crews 1.5 by Techpriest
 - Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering 1.18a by Harmful Mechanic
 - Disassemble Reassemble v 1.6.9 by AxleMC131
 - ED Shipyard 1.9.9 by Ed
 - Gates Awakened 2.0.2 by Wispborne
 - Girls Frontline Portrait Pack 1.3 by Haze
 - Hazard Mining Incorporated 0.2.2c by King Alfonzo
 - Hyperdrive 1.0.0 by Sundog
 - Interstellar Imperium 2.1.1 by DarkRevenant & others
 - Junk pirates / ASP / PACK (Release) 3.4.0 by mendonca
 - Kadur Remnant 3.1.0 by Vayra
 - Legacy of Arkgneisis v1.5.1 by Gwyvern
 - Luddic Enhancement 1.2.0 by King Alfonzo
 - Nexerelin 0.9.5g by Histidine (original by Zaphide)
 - Outer Rim Alliance 0.87 by Tartiflette
 - Scy Nation 1.58 by Created by Tartiflette. Music by Fastland. With the help of Debido, Mesotronik, Dark Revenant, Histidine, Silentstormpt, SniZupGun, Deathfly, 19_30 and many others.
 - Secrets of the Frontier Prerelease 5 by Inventor Raccoon
 - Seeker - Unidentified Contact 0.2 by Tartiflette
 - Shadowyards 0.9RC1 by MShadowy
 - Ship/Weapon Pack 1.10.4 by DarkRevenant
 - SkilledUp 1.1 by bonomel
 - Starship Legends 1.3.13 by Sundog
 - Station Construction 2.1.0 by boggled
 - Sylphon RnD 0.9.5g by Nia and Nicke
 - Tahlan Shipworks 0.3.11 by Nia and Nicke
 - Tiandong Heavy Industries 1.2.1a by -MesoTroniK
 - Tufted Ship Pack 1.0.0A by Tufted Titmouse
 - Underworld 1.4.1 by DarkRevenant
 - Unknown Skies 0.42 by Tartiflette
 - Vayra's Sector 3.1.1 by Vayra
 - Vayra's Ship Pack 1.1.2c by Vayra
 - ZZ Audio Plus 1.1.1 by DarkRevenant
Utility mods (14):
 - $$$ Lightshow 1.40 by Tartiflette
 - $$$ Trailer Moments 0.8 by Nia
 - Autosave 1.1 by LazyWizard
 - Combat Chatter 1.9.2d by Histidine
 - Common Radar 2.5 by LazyWizard
 - Console Commands 3.0 by LazyWizard
 - Fuel Siphoning 1.1.2 by Sundog
 - LazyLib 2.4e by LazyWizard
 - MagicLib 0.28 by Modding Community
 - Practice Targets 1.3 by Created by Tartiflette. Based on an idea from Foxer360.
 - Ruthless Sector 1.2.5 by Sundog
 - Upgraded Rotary Weapons 1.41 by Tartiflette
 - Version Checker 2.0 by LazyWizard
 - ZZ GraphicsLib 1.4.1 by DarkRevenant
[close]

As you can see, your card can't handle modlist of that size due to insufficient VRAM. You can set GraphicsLib to compability mode, but it won't help that much, better option would be to remove mods and then check how much VRAM your modlist uses (check after loading a save).
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

cathar

• Lieutenant
  • ludd is bae
    • View Profile

@MesoTronik: Thank you for explaining a bit more how SS works compared to other games. One more question, feel free to ignore it if it is exceptionally dumb: If Starsector loads everything at the beginning, why is my crash during saving and not during startup?

You can use that data (and keep checking) to figure out your exact threshold for the number of and what mods your system can safely run for SS.

This is still the part I find so interesting/puzzling. I have done a few tests and have arrived at the list that runs stable with maximum extra factions. Still puzzled by how specific/unspecific it is. For example, switching out Roider Union for TianDong crashes, switching SAD for TianDong works.

But I have heard you both, I will get myself a new graphics card I guess. Good thing christmas is around the corner. Avanitia, the GTX 1660 you listed in your specs seems within budget, might get that.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile

@MesoTronik: Thank you for explaining a bit more how SS works compared to other games. One more question, feel free to ignore it if it is exceptionally dumb: If Starsector loads everything at the beginning, why is my crash during saving and not during startup?
Because when you run out of VRAM, it will start storing graphics assets in system RAM. And then when you save, your regular RAM usage spikes and some of it is being used for graphics stuff and then it pukes blood. It also tanks performance.

You can use that data (and keep checking) to figure out your exact threshold for the number of and what mods your system can safely run for SS.

This is still the part I find so interesting/puzzling. I have done a few tests and have arrived at the list that runs stable with maximum extra factions. Still puzzled by how specific/unspecific it is. For example, switching out Roider Union for TianDong crashes, switching SAD for TianDong works.
Tiandong Heavy Industries uses about 32mb of VRAM assuming GraphicsLib shaders are not disabled.
Roider Union I don't have a figure for but it would be a tiny fraction of that as it has very little content right now.
SAD, not sure off the top of my head either but it almost certainly uses more than Tiandong.

Oh if you are looking at a new card, if they are also in budget? Consider the 1660 Super, or 1660Ti over the base model. A bit more dakka for just a bit more money.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:46:18 AM by MesoTroniK »
Pages: 1 [2]