Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AMD Optimized  (Read 1917 times)

NorthernWatch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
AMD Optimized
« on: December 01, 2019, 10:08:00 PM »

Hey Guys, Ive been playing around with the settings hoping to find a better more stable FPS on my AMD Driver since there doesnt seem to be any good topic around

Ive got these settings here and im wondering if it makes your gameplay any better or not as it seems to make it more stable for me

In Your AMD Radeon Settings, Gaming, Add Starsector into the list of games

for the settings, you are to disable Wait for Vertical Refresh to Off and OpenGL Triple Buffering Disabled

Let me know how to it goes and what other suggestions you have.

DrPhat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: AMD Optimized
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:59:24 AM »

The main issue is lack of hyper-threading support with this game.

In essence, the less cores you have in your CPU the better performance you should have.

AMD have taken the approach of more CPUS=BETTER, but that only really works for workstations or applications with multi threading.

Everything you do to try to get around this will kneecap you. Basically you need fewer more powerful cores. Even having an overpowered GPU will only help you as much as your single core can handle.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 01:24:11 AM »

This game's almost always CPU-blocked in most situations, unless your GPU is incredibly weak.

It's entirely possible to make at least some major parts of this game multithreaded; I did what I could.

I don't actually think there are any serious roadblocks to making the graphics engine run on a different thread than the AI logic or core game logic (input / output handlers and state-machine stuff for CombatEntityAPIs) or sound; it should be possible to run the game on at least 4 cores, possibly more, depending on how some tasks are split up.  It's hard to say from here, though; all I know is what's exposed in the API and a few guesses about how core stuff works.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 08:07:15 AM »

The OP is talking about using an AMD graphics card, and on those the graphics card is very often the bottleneck, and is sharing a possible solution/improvement - it would be really interesting to see if it helps or not.

The CPU is not at all the issue there. Even if the game is CPU-bottlenecked on a given PC, that generally means you're already getting reasonable performance out of it unless the CPU is very low-end. Much better than the performance you get when it's bottlenecked by at least some of the AMD graphics cards/drivers, at any rate.