Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More interesting research stations  (Read 1402 times)

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
More interesting research stations
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:07:12 PM »

Imagine, if you will, that research stations (and perhaps some derelicts near gates) had improved versions of plans for ships.  These would give you a small bonus to a certain ship... +5% to a stat, randomly, for one ship type only.  Perhaps Kites with +5% top speed, or Atlases with +5% armor.  You could also get a hullmod on the ship built in at the cost of half the usual OP.  You need a pristine nanoforge to make these ships, and of course you need a colony with an orbital works.  There's a screen where you can select which of these you use for any given ship, and building them like that makes the ship a variant for your faction, like the Hegemony variant frigates for the Hegemony.

The result would be that if you get particularly lucky, your fleet makeup might change.  Perhaps you were using Atlases, but if you get two expanded cargo mods on Colossus and a +5% cargo for the same, perhaps you switch over.  Perhaps in this game you start using the Conquest a lot more ever since you lucky rolled +5% armor, +5% flux draining, and cheap armored weapon mounts.  It might increase replayability, and it would certainly make those research stations more interesting.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More interesting research stations
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 04:47:05 AM »

You're talking about something that fundamentally sounds like a D-mod, except it's better, so like a B-mod?

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »

Minor stat boosts like this tend to encourage grinding, which seems like the antithesis of fun.

More mission chains and campaign-layer interactions that start from research stations, though, would be very much my thing.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »

You could think of it as a positive D-mod, yes.

The idea is to have more variety between games, shifting which ships are best for you.  And you only gain these through deep exploration, which makes it very much not like grinding at all.  It makes research stations really worth looking at.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 07:20:21 PM »

In that case, it's not hard to simply implement yourself. Write a set of bonus hullmods you feel are worth it, add them to a few ship skins, tag them, set the drop groups for research stations so they'll drop only from those salvage encounters, and you're in business. Then you can see if it adds to the game or not.

It's a couple evenings' worth of work, but I promise it'll be fun and requires no extra art assets - inherently.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »

Forget bonuses, we need more difficulties or salvaging orbital stations.

Like station drones and [REDACTED] ships guarding them.
Onboard security systems requiring marines to clear them out.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »

Considering how minimal the benefits are of finding research stations in the late game, I don't see why requiring carrying around more stuff (marines) or having more ships (which in the late game are pretty easy to clear out) is an improvement on things.  I want research stations and mining stations to be exciting to find, not slightly more of a chore to get benefits I could better get from clearing out yet another pirate bounty.