Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: raids/ground combat from space combat  (Read 1854 times)

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
raids/ground combat from space combat
« on: November 28, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »

space combat is 2d, so how about if we have ground combat based on space combat, except only a few vehicles can strafe. ground batteries will make sure that your ships cannot help with the siege. but you will be starting the fight from your landed ships and they can provide short range support fire.

vehicles will either need special vehicle carrying ships, or they will simply use cargo space.

the deal is this, you gotta get your marine ground transport close to a building you want raided.

depending on marine count the raid will last X amount of time, base time is 2 minutes if your offensive strength = defensive strength. if you got 30% more offense, you get a 20% reduction, 50% is 35% and so on, so that you can get at most 67% reduction at 100% and upward.

and then escape back to your ships.

OR you could simply beat up the defenders into submission and then  do whatever you want, take over the planet, raid all of their facilities or destroy them all.

vehicles will be outfitted in the outfit window like ships. they will also be of different size classes ranging from dune buggies to hulking tanks with 4 large turrets.

you can now loot vehicles from space battles, derelicts or buy them, just like with ships. pirate vehicles will be specialized in fast raids with decoy vehicles. these decoy vehicles will use as much DP as the vehicle thy are posing as, but will have much lower hp/shield and almost no weapons and no crew.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:05:33 PM by Alex »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: raids/ground combat fecal transplant from space combat
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 11:51:44 AM »

But what would be the point of that? Please any answer other than ''immersion''. Alex has perfected the feel of space combat, why would he now try to implement something that'll be just a glorified minigame?
Please don't take me too seriously.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 12:45:59 PM »

Fecal transplant?

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »

Maybe someone could try to mod it yo see if it actually works. I doubt it, but you never know.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: raids/ground combat from space combat
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »

Edited the title, because, uh, what. Please word things with more care in the future.

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 05:59:44 AM »

I dunno, it was just an idea, sometimes exploring seemingly bad ideas can produce interesting results once others pitch in and improve on the original.

I am not going to explain my joke to you, if you don't get it, you don't, but don't put that on me.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »

It would be more immersive than just lugging along tons of "military hardware" to get the buff in ground combat.  And it would it not require an overly complex minigame to at least bring in the idea of vehicles in planetary combat.  Distant Worlds already does a fine job of ground combat without excessive complexity.

You get:
Infantry - your baseline combat unit.
Armor - more powerful than infantry (obviously) but also takes up twice as much space.
Special Forces - expensive, powerful infantry that attacks enemy defense units by slipping through their lines.
Defense Units - do nothing for attackers but, as the name implies, excel at planetary defense.

Something similar could be done here using the same combat interface & screens already present.  A military base (facility) could convert military hardware (product) into armor and/or defense units, for example, or be used to convert regular marines into special forces units with time (and money).

Now you have something akin to Axis & Allies game play:
Infantry - 1 Attack, 1 Defense
Armor - 3 Attack, 1 Defense
Defense Units - 0 Attack, 5 Defense
Special Forces - 1 Attack, 1 Defense, but targets Defense Units as a priority with a strength 10 attack against that class of unit only.

Dice rolls as normal.

No extra map, no mini-game, no major mechanics overhauls.  This is something that could fit into a mod.  Just rock-paper-scissors and it would give your agents something new to do (i.e. recon, so you know what to bring to overcome your target's defenses).  Plus, naturally, it gives the player more options on how they want to handle their own land-based military.  Focus on defense bases?  Go on the offensive with armor?  Or just spew out marines like we do now and hope for the best?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »

Please any answer other than ''immersion''.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 09:31:28 AM »

Ther are a lot of games with land based systems, but the player has no land based military. There is no defend. Only attack (raid). Read this for more infomation on combat. https://fractalsoftworks.com/2019/11/27/raiding-for-fun-and-profit/

Inserting a system from another game doesn't make any sense. Dice roll mechanic is odd, in a game without dice rolls. I quite like rolling dice, but there is no need to restrict to a dice roll in a computer game. Calculations can be done without rolling imaginary dice, like the current raiding mechanics do not have imaginary dice rolls. It simply calculates using whatever calculation it has. There's no need for the player to understand calculations in terms of dice rolls.

What's the point of an infantry if you can get 3 times the attack with Armour, for only twice the space? What is use a 0/5 Defence Unit when there is nothing to defend? At the moment even the idea of veterancy is enough to confuse people. There may be space for a complex land based military system but at the moment there is nothing to indicate that you would be directly recruiting and maintaining units to defend. You "own" your colony, but you don't own the people living there.

Dread Lord Murubarda

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »

What's the point of an infantry if you can get 3 times the attack with Armour, for only twice the space?

I'm guessing coz it's a lot cheaper than armour

You "own" your colony, but you don't own the people living there.
slavery when?
so I can saturation bomb a planet, but I can't have my marines enslave it?

we need a new option for raids, "ENSLAVE". you send ur shock troops in and they will enslave a percentage of the population, while some will simply scatter. but all the good factions will be hostile if you do this.

an enslaved planet will have more options like:

-force breeding for faster growth
-make them work till they die = higher production but a considerable debuff to population growth
-slave auctions = population growth debuff, but a profit boost
-end slavery = small bonuses to all industries for a little while, but if you go back to slavery in the next 2 years the planet will join a random faction, even one that u are friendly with so that if u wanna take the planet back it will cost u an ally