Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Autofit Warnings!!!  (Read 809 times)

Charlesmartin

Autofit Warnings!!!
« on: November 28, 2019, 06:23:30 AM »

One thing I've noticed with the influx of new users, is a noticeably higher number of ship fits with nonsensical weapon choices that leave many of their ships performing well below what they could be. While building ship loadouts is a tough skill to learn that takes time to really understand, one way to help alleviate this would be to make using autofit friendlier to newer users.

Essentially, when using autofit have the UI display warnings after selecting an autofit variant that cannot be properly completed with given resources. For example, if using autofit for the Balanced variant of the hammerhead without having access to heavy mortars or Integrated Targeting Unit, 2 warnings would be displayed:

"Caution: Some weapons required for this variant are currently unavailable, and have been substituted with other weapons. This can impact final combat performance severely."

"Caution: Missing the Integrated Targeting Unit hullmod. This ship may perform worse in combat as a result."

In addition, if possible highlight which weapons on the resulting ship have been substituted for others.

I remember in my early days knowing next to nothing about the ship fits autofit gave me, and trusted them blindly without realizing how it could leave my ships in a subpar state. Hopefully this could help newer players keep in mind that they will want to acquire certain weapons in order for their ships to perform the best they can.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Autofit Warnings!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 06:35:39 AM »

ITU is hardly mandatory on Hammerhead. Besides it takes time to actually find it in campaign. And there was pretty much the same suggestion a few weeks ago, and Alex said it currently serves its purpose. He doesn't want the autofit to only make perfect loadout and basically steal away the exploaration and testing of ships/weapons.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »

I don't understand. Where exactly are you getting this info from? I haven't noticed anybody posting ship fits of nonsensical weapon choices. (Other than people writing up ships with weapons that the ship can't possible fit, but that's a problem that always existed.) I'll like to see you point to an example of this nonsensical weapon choice.

It's a single player game anyways. It doesn't matter if the player decides to have ship configuration you disagree with. Like a couple of weeks ago, there was a guy who had what I would regard as a most substandard Dominator and Drover config. He was for instance completely happy to not have ITU hullmod on his dominator. A drover without any missiles or additional flux capacity. It doesn't really bother me, and autofit wouldn't had help him anyways. He was happy with it and it is a difference of opinion on the role of and how to fit a ship. Autofit should not constrain the player into a line of thinking. Players should experiment freely without being guided into what one person think their ship should be autofitted to. Autofit does a servicable job of automatically fitting.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 08:19:53 AM »

Autofit should not constrain the player into a line of thinking. Players should experiment freely without being guided into what one person think their ship should be autofitted to. Autofit does a servicable job of automatically fitting.
Exactly. If you treat this as ''give me what the cool kids are having'' then you obviously can't rely on this. It's just a system for people who don't care about specific builds and just want a ship that can do something in a fight.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 09:27:29 AM »