Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Raiding for Fun and Profit  (Read 33963 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Raiding for Fun and Profit
« on: November 27, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:37:36 PM by Alex »

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Raiding for Fun and Profit
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 03:51:34 PM »

8) 8) 8) Super exciting, tons of new possibilities, love this feature!

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »

And you was on Tweeter like: "Oh im writing blog post, dunno when ill finish it, oh, eh, it's so hard to do it, eh, oh".

You lil - insert classic Bart-Homer scene here  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

SarenSoran

• Ensign
  • Just a Doomer coming through
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 03:56:33 PM »

this is great, now i can farm for blueprints more efficiently, thx

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »

Looks like disruption raids and looting raids are still separate. Why not allow both activities at once?

Barracuda

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 04:01:46 PM »

Got excited while reading about marine experience, wondering if it could transfer to crew. Then i saw you already thought about it and while I'm a little deflated theres still hope!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 04:03:09 PM »

Is there an auto-assign or auto-resolve for times when I do not care what gets taken, just grab anything, sort of like raiding today?  For pirate bases, I almost always raid it before I kill it (pop-up zombie base) or leave town for a few months (core world like Kanta's Den or Qaras).

Selecting what I want to steal is nice when I want special items, but if all I care about is any sort of vendor trash to boost income after trade and/or before a kill, then anything to get the process done quickly would be nice.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »

8) 8) 8) Super exciting, tons of new possibilities, love this feature!

:)

And you was on Tweeter like: "Oh im writing blog post, dunno when ill finish it, oh, eh, it's so hard to do it, eh, oh".

You lil - insert classic Bart-Homer scene here  ;D

Hah! I mainly meant it in a "don't get your hopes up for yesterday" way.

this is great, now i can farm for blueprints more efficiently, thx

Indeed!

Looks like disruption raids and looting raids are still separate. Why not allow both activities at once?

If we're being honest, it's mainly a UI issue. Different columns, different text in different places, different row heights, etc. And since it's also not too unreasonable that you can only focus on one or the other...

Got excited while reading about marine experience, wondering if it could transfer to crew. Then i saw you already thought about it and while I'm a little deflated theres still hope!

A bit of hope, anyway :) Definitely felt like something that should be addressed in the post, though, as it's such a natural thing to think about.

Selecting what I want to steal is nice when I want special items, but if all I care about is any sort of vendor trash to boost income after trade and/or before a kill, then anything to get the process done quickly would be nice.

You can ctrl-click on the highest value thing to assign everything to it.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Blog Post
Marines now gain experience from raids, and this translates directly into a generous increase in raid effectiveness, and a more modest reduction in casualties taken. Hiring new marines dilutes the experience and reduces the bonuses (no experience is lost, it’s just redistributed). It’s also possible to drop off experienced marines in storage, or in cryopods, and have them retain their experience level.

Is there any way to un-dilute this experience? If, say, I wanted to purchase and transport 1000 regular marines from point A to point B, is there a way to do this without permanently weakening the marines already in my fleet, aside from leaving them in storage first?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 04:21:27 PM by LazyWizard »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 04:40:45 PM »

Very cool! This is going to make being a raider/pirate much more enjoyable. And the modding hooks you tease about are very very nice... I think I need to 'rescue' Andrada and hold him for ransom.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 04:43:52 PM »

Is there any way to un-dilute this experience? If, say, I wanted to purchase and transport 1000 regular marines from point A to point B, is there a way to do this without permanently weakening the marines already in my fleet, aside from leaving them in storage first?

There isn't, no - aside from, as you say, leaving them in storage. Did think about this, but couldn't think of any reasonable way to do it, in terms of "how complicated it would be" vs "how much of an issue this is likely to be".

I think I need to 'rescue' Andrada and hold him for ransom.

*thumbs up*

Letsparty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »

Regarding crew ranks it can still work just change the things it effects.
Say green crew +5% time to repair engines and weapons in battle, regular no modifier, veteran -5% time to repair, elite -10% time to repair.
And in strategic layer same thing but with supplies needed to maintain and speed of repairs.
It would also need a mechanic and UI elements in fleet view to set distribution from concentrate ranks in first ships to distribute evenly.  :)
The sniper rifle. For when you want to reach out and touch someone.
WARNING objects in sniper scope may appear closer then they actually are.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »

Yeah, see, it's nothing but trouble :)

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 05:24:48 PM »

As always I really like the way you handle the game systems.  Not just identifying problems and solutions but really thinking through a lot of the "would this be interesting" questions that I feel many designers miss (content over quality sort of issue).

Not much else to say other than this might finally make me raid planets on purpose (as right now it's just if i happen to have marines for some reason and I'm attacking them anyways).  I really like how this system will lend itself to expanding it's use as you can target specific objectives.  May not be a main game thing, but I can think of lots of ways you could have mods take advantage of this to create more gameplay/choices for those of us who want a little more depth out of the system.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »

Also, I'd just like to say that the player in these pictures has remarkable taste, raiding for drugs and lobsters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12