Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The imaginative third axis  (Read 680 times)

Bob69Joe

• Lieutenant
  • Steam: Herr Derrierr with the tiger picture
    • View Profile
The imaginative third axis
« on: November 27, 2019, 03:24:05 PM »

Yo, I'll try to be descriptive on this but I can use the ballistic weapons and missiles as an example. I figure that although there are only two axes of movement, the third, imaginative axis, is represented by the disappearances of missiles and bullets that exceed their ranges. One would assume that from a long enough distance away from a bullet, the target would have moved only a small degree in any direction to cause that bullet to miss, hence its disappearance into the imaginative third axis.

Wreckage of defeated opponents can also behave this way, floating into the imaginative third axis to no longer block aim.

Does wreckage disappear already? I haven't really noticed but I would prefer they do after a minute or a half-minute as the screen does get clogged sometimes. I find myself hammering round after round like a brute wishing for these things to pop already.
Search = 'site:cakravartin.com Hermetic Tradition'

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The imaginative third axis
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »

They do disappear eventually if you're not looking at them for a while :)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »

One time I was hiding a Doom behind a wreckage using it's mine strike ability to annoy a Legion when suddenly the wreckage disappeared.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »

Hm, that's really weird. Did it disappear while you were looking at it, or did you pan the view back to find it was gone? And are you sure it didn't blow up from taking too much damage?

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 04:55:01 PM »

I will need to be able to see both the Legion and the Doom at the same time in order to hide behind the wreckage safely. I'm sure it didn't blow up.

Doesn't wreckage blowing up only makes the wreckage into smaller pieces? I immediately phased and carried on as normal so it wasn't a problem. Are wreckages not supposed to disappear if you are looking at it?

It might had been because I changed the max zoom setting so even though I could see it, the game might think my view screen rectangle is away from the wreckage?

Edits: I just tested in sim. Shooting at wreckage splits up the wreckage further. Which can further split up again. At their smallest size they can disappear with further damage. The smallest size wreckage will disappear shortly after. But I am pretty sure mine was a whole ship wreckage. Anything smaller wouldn't be able to hide a Doom. Perhaps the wreckage did split in half at that moment and then decided to disappear?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:09:53 PM by Plantissue »

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 06:23:04 AM »

Overkill damage can sometimes hit both the initial wreck and the pieces that it splits into making it disappear. This can be seen by attacks such as piranhas bombing runs and multiple torpedoes hitting a wreck.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."