Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42

Author Topic: [0.96a] Adjusted Sector  (Read 408870 times)

shovelmonkey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Adjusted Sector
« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2021, 03:55:52 AM »

I know its probably not but is this save compatible?

I don't suppose adding it would break your save...BUT...you only see the effects of it on generating a new sector  :P

SoSD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 21, 2021, 01:45:10 PM »

Curious if it is possible via some configuration to prevent Adjusted Sector from generating systems right in the core, almost on top of other core worlds.

This is with the standard core systems, not random generation.

As an example, I've got generated systems almost on top of Galatea and Samarra, which is a bit strange: https://imgur.com/BKEEQKV

Edited to add the image link.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 02:02:13 PM by SoSD »

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »

Curious if it is possible via some configuration to prevent Adjusted Sector from generating systems right in the core, almost on top of other core worlds.

This is with the standard core systems, not random generation.

As an example, I've got generated systems almost on top of Galatea and Samarra, which is a bit strange: https://imgur.com/BKEEQKV

Edited to add the image link.

You may want to play around with the settings, the default ones tend to result in this. If the constellation area is large enough it will extend a close constellation's potential area over the core. Even when you get a good balance, a gen may still put constellations close enough to the core that they'll infringe on the outermost core systems added by mods.

I've had luck with

"AdjustedSectorConstellationCount":150,
   "AdjustedSectorConstellationSize":1500,
   "AdjustedSectorConstellationCellSize":10,

These create a sector with just over 300 systems at normal sector size or just less than 700 systems when the width and height are increased 50% (compared to around 500 under normal adjusted sector settings and around 170 in vanilla) with a core overlap only about 1 in 4 times, and only on the outermost ones added by mods. Then make small incremental changes and see if makes something that works for you.

You'll probably wanna turn down some of the features like ruins and remnant just a little too, if you stick with the normal sector dimensions. Just follow the guidelines on feature number vs the number of constellations and there shouldn't be any weirdness.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:47:52 PM by PreConceptor »

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2021, 09:38:46 PM »

I wonder how this mod will handle Slipstreams once they become a thing.

Make it so systems aren't generated underneath them or something?  ???

nDervish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 25, 2021, 01:29:56 AM »

I wonder how this mod will handle Slipstreams once they become a thing.

Make it so systems aren't generated underneath them or something?  ???

From the linked blog post (under "Slipstream layout generation"):  "First off, slipstreams are dynamic – there isn’t a single fixed layout. Instead, a new layout is generated twice per cycle"

So I don't think Adjusted Sector will need to take them into account at all, since the slipstreams will be overlaid on top of the map during gameplay rather than being a part of it from the start.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 25, 2021, 01:50:46 AM »

... From the linked blog post (under "Slipstream layout generation"):  "First off, slipstreams are dynamic – there isn’t a single fixed layout. Instead, a new layout is generated twice per cycle"

So I don't think Adjusted Sector will need to take them into account at all, since the slipstreams will be overlaid on top of the map during gameplay rather than being a part of it from the start.
Wouldn't that cause stars to be generated under the streams, either causing them to be inaccessible or causing the stream to "break" all over since according to the blog:
...slipstreams are interrupted when crossing hyperspace areas occupied by star systems...
Which would mean if enough stars are spawned the streams would be too short and useless?

Jade Tendency

• Lieutenant
  • Fourth Olympus
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 26, 2021, 12:18:20 AM »

Unless we hear from the mod author we won't really know. They are not really communicating lately so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

nDervish

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 26, 2021, 01:01:15 AM »

... From the linked blog post (under "Slipstream layout generation"):  "First off, slipstreams are dynamic – there isn’t a single fixed layout. Instead, a new layout is generated twice per cycle"

Wouldn't that cause stars to be generated under the streams, either causing them to be inaccessible or causing the stream to "break" all over since according to the blog:
...slipstreams are interrupted when crossing hyperspace areas occupied by star systems...
Which would mean if enough stars are spawned the streams would be too short and useless?

The bit I quoted in my earlier reply says, pretty directly, that slipstreams will change position as the game progresses:  "There isn't a single fixed layout."  "Slipstreams are dynamic".  "A new layout is generated twice per cycle".

Slipstreams most likely don't exist at all when the stars are placed, because that would make the code more complicated.  There would need to be code both for placing stars away from streams during map generation and code for creating breaks in streams as they're dynamically placed/repositioned every half-cycle.  Much simpler to wait until after the stars are placed before even thinking about slipstreams, because then you need only the "creating breaks" code and not the "placing stars away from streams" code.

But, yes, you're right that, based on what we've been told so far, if there are too many stars then the slipstreams will be broken into very short chunks that aren't very useful.  But that's all happening after Adjusted Sector has done its thing and the game has started.  AS could try to leave larger open areas to allow space for slipstreams to stretch across, but it doesn't look like there will be any way to know, at the time that AS makes the map, where the slipstreams will be and avoid them.

shake307

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 27, 2021, 10:50:59 PM »

Okay, I cannot get this mod to work.  I played Grand Sector on the last version of StarSector, and was kinda hoping this mod would replace it.  I'll be damned if I can get it to work.  No matter what settings I change, I always start a game with the normal map.  I have to be missing a step, but what is that step?

Jade Tendency

• Lieutenant
  • Fourth Olympus
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2021, 03:39:39 AM »

Have you tried activating the large preset, just to confirm it works?

Vinrick

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 02, 2021, 02:22:39 PM »

First off - awesome mod. Thanks for making it.

That being said, has anyone noticed not really being able to influence relic site frequency or am I messing something up? I know there're settings for that in the mod, but it seems like no matter what I change them to there's a lot less relic sites compared to vanilla (realistically none that I could find). Spent an hour or so jumping around systems at different settings, but all the things that would ever spawn (even in remnant systems) are probes and the occasional mothership. No relic stations or what have you.

So far I've tried the three following settings and didn't notice any real difference, and didn't find anything other than probes in ~30 systems. Also toned down the system density a bit to closer match vanilla while still getting larger map size and more stars.
"sectorConstellationRuinsMin":20/70/200
"sectorConstellationRuinsMax":40/100/250

Any tips on what I might be messing up here?

Axisoflint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2021, 12:40:42 AM »

Hi, after some discussion with Tartiflette, there seems to be an issue with adjusted sector messing with system tags that other mods rely on to spawn 'things'. I will occasionally (quite often) get errors when generating a new sector because it can't find places to put stuff I guess?

I can post a full log if it will help, but I'm not sure what the exact cause/issue is, sorry :)

Axisoflint

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 26, 2021, 01:26:45 AM »

Hi, after some discussion with Tartiflette, there seems to be an issue with adjusted sector messing with system tags that other mods rely on to spawn 'things'. I will occasionally (quite often) get errors when generating a new sector because it can't find places to put stuff I guess?

I can post a full log if it will help, but I'm not sure what the exact cause/issue is, sorry :)

One thing I've messed with and seems to help is altering the mothership number spawn (I had mine set very high) - apparently this 'crowds out' remnant systems from spawning and means seeker can't find appropriate systems to spawn it's bounties in or something? I'm not 100% sure.

Nerzhull_AI

• Commander
  • Do you exist in your dreams?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 13, 2021, 11:47:55 AM »

Version 0.4 Released!

Code
2021.12.13 - 0.4:
- completely restructurized the mod, removed all the cancer.
- restored the compatibility with both SAD and DME mods.
- added new fields, responsible for the amount of Gates outside the Core Worlds.
- added new fields, responsible for the amount of XIV Legions, both recoverable and not.

In the next release i hope to finally add printed data about 'what exactly' player successfully generated.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42