Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42

Author Topic: [0.96a] Adjusted Sector  (Read 408906 times)

Nerzhull_AI

• Commander
  • Do you exist in your dreams?
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Adjusted Sector
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2020, 02:26:06 AM »

Is there a fix to massive FPS hits on Intel or Map screen? Allocated 8 gigs of ram to this, only makes me use 20% during the FPS hit.

Strangely, I feel I have a better system, but there's definitely a hit to FPS while traveling around, too, with default settings. Fair enough, it's more than triple the size of vanilla.

I'm scared of messing things up however and adjusting the size. Is there a chance you'll ever provide some of your own settings for smaller than 360 size? Like a high, medium, low set? Maybe in spoilers?
Yeah, i was thinking of providing different settings for different setups. It's just that mod intended for player to adjust starting settings accordingly to their wish.
You should check out my post above - there's 300 constellations setup - i'm playing on it right now and there's no fps drops. I guess game just can't handle the amount of things beyond some point.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:28:21 AM by Nerzhull_AI »

HopeFall

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2020, 01:46:28 PM »

Might be...iunno. The engine?  I don't blame Alex. But there's a trend with games like Kenshi, Rimworld, Starsector, Minecraft. Despite the simplicity and seeming low requirements, modding them tends to chug your system significantly more than say, a 300 mod Skyrim game. Which is funny to me.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »

SS is constantly simulating *far* more stuff at once than the average AAA open-world game. It also fakes a lot less things, though still does when it needs to.

FrackaMir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2020, 08:19:41 AM »

So I'm rather bad at maths but if you adjust the AdjustedSectorConstellationCount value to 300 or below / above etc what sort of multiplier are we supposed to use to have the themes adjust or be slightly lower so to make room for other mods that add it in too?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:47:41 AM by FrackaMir »

bigdady1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »

loving the mod thanks for making it 8)

Nerzhull_AI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »

So I'm rather bad at maths but if you adjust the AdjustedSectorConstellationCount value to 300 or below / above etc what sort of multiplier are we supposed to use to have the themes adjust or be slightly lower so to make room for other mods that add it in too?
It's not quite that, game just has problems with handling the large amount of constellations coupled with many mods.
So if you use many mods, just lower the AdjustedSectorConstellationCount to 300 or less, and adjust other "min/max" themed values accordingly. Keep in mind, that 1 mothership = 2-4 "derelict-themed" constellations.

Mods that are creating additional systems usually do not count towards "total themed constellation count". The only 2 mods which use that are SAD and DME (blade breakers), but those can be adjusted in settings.json.

Nerzhull_AI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »

loving the mod thanks for making it 8)
You're welcome!

dragoongfa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »

Great mod, really helps with making the sector feel like an expanse where opportunity may be just a bit out of reach.

I am having an issue with star and constellation placement though. Constellations are prone to intermingle, with stars from one constellation being right in the middle of an other.

Rarer is the issue were systems 'overlap' in the hyperspace map. With suns being right next to each other but they are completely different systems.

I had these issues with both the default settings for the mod and with slight personal adjustments; what settings are responsible for this? Or is it something that the system generation from the start of the game does when it gets more systems and constellations than the vanilla ones?

Nerzhull_AI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2020, 03:45:06 PM »

Great mod, really helps with making the sector feel like an expanse where opportunity may be just a bit out of reach.

I am having an issue with star and constellation placement though. Constellations are prone to intermingle, with stars from one constellation being right in the middle of an other.

Rarer is the issue were systems 'overlap' in the hyperspace map. With suns being right next to each other but they are completely different systems.

I had these issues with both the default settings for the mod and with slight personal adjustments; what settings are responsible for this? Or is it something that the system generation from the start of the game does when it gets more systems and constellations than the vanilla ones?
AdjustedSectorConstellationSize
Changing it back to 2000 may prevent this 'overlap' from happening, but it happened to me even in vanilla game, so i'm not sure how effective it will be.
Also, changing this setting may prevent from constellations spawning (if your sector is not big enough just in terms of size) - so if you see something weird or broken after starting new game - make sure to enlarge your sector width and length.

crash7ds

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2020, 08:42:54 PM »

Quick q, any issue with entering the same value for min and max (for the same theme, I mean)? Or should I keep min and max ranges offset?

tindrli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2020, 04:35:24 AM »

Is there any performance impact?
Depending on how many constellations you have, there might be framedrops while on map or intel screen. Past 300 constellations you will feel it. Otherwise - depends on your pc.

so, with laptop that has
- i5 7200U
-sata SSD
dedicated GPU R5 M330 with 2 GB VRAM
and 8 gigs of RAM
what would be an optimal sector size?
thanx

crash7ds

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2020, 07:04:39 AM »

Honestly I'm not even sure from what I've gathered. My system specs include an i7 6700, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660ti, and the hardware hardly ever gets utilized before I start seeing frame rate drops. Even after committing a number of commonly suggested fixes to get SS to run smoother more often has only helped somewhat. Hyperspace travel and battles beyond a handful of ships and the program struggles to maintain even 40ish fps while my CPU and GPU barely budge in use. Pretty sure I've never seen the Idle at anything above 50% which is odd. In fights, it spends most of the time in single digits. I've been told it's mods, but it's like that even without them enabled. Others have reported absolutely no fps impact in such places on lower specs even with GraphicsLyb in full swing. I've been told by many it's an AMD issue, then I remind them that I'm not running AMD. Some can apparently run this mod at 300 plus constellations without any issues, I can't even get a vanilla sized map with more than 180 to run without the game crashing on saving and loading. You might as well try it at what ever setup you want and tweak it if issues arise, but yeah, constellation count is probably the first number to look at in doing so. At this point I've chocked it up to simply luck of the draw for me as I've learned this is likely a deeper issue on the vanilla coding level...it isn't finished for one and is a much more calculation-heavy game than most modern graphics-based monsters.

Nerzhull_AI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2020, 07:53:30 AM »

Is there any performance impact?
Depending on how many constellations you have, there might be framedrops while on map or intel screen. Past 300 constellations you will feel it. Otherwise - depends on your pc.

so, with laptop that has
- i5 7200U
-sata SSD
dedicated GPU R5 M330 with 2 GB VRAM
and 8 gigs of RAM
what would be an optimal sector size?
thanx
   "sectorWidth":246600,
   "sectorHeight":210600,
   "AdjustedSectorConstellationCount":300,

Maybe even "default" Adjusted Sector settings.
You have enough RAM, but i'm not sure if 2 GB VRAM is enough, since apparently i had issues with 360 AdjustedSectorConstellationCount setup just because of VRAM.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 07:55:23 AM by Nerzhull_AI »

FrackaMir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2020, 09:47:53 AM »

Ahhh I see, so its also dependent on mods too

well so far the 360 constellations or the default preset chosen for the mod is working fine. Granted there are slow downs when using the galactic map and intel screen, that and due to using so many mods and a very large galaxy map, generally playing for 2-5 hrs, varies, every now and then and save quitting with saves backed up seems to work fine.

Of course having huge multi fleet battles usually means a save exit restart but not all that bad.

If wondering I'm running an old Dell G5 gaming laptop, 16 Gb ram and assigned around 10 Gb ram, which is bad since its above half the necessary total ram amount to use but so far no problems, along with maybe around 5-7 or 8 ish VRAM, GTX 1060.

Its not the best laptop, its old and somewhat outdated with the newest tech and all but its working, its doing what its intending to, loving the exploration of the vast galaxy and finding good remnant or blade breaker positions to farm them or snatch some Redacted ships

tindrli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »

tank you all. will try
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42