Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Where to stick your green crew.  (Read 8665 times)

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
Where to stick your green crew.
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »

Are you tired of seeing valuable shots missed?

Slow ships unable to catch up to the rest of the fleet?

Crew so incompetent they forget to raise shields?

The answer is simple!

This valuable discovery was made after witnessing this monumental fail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENH-lZsce-c
(The talon pilot that actually tried firing at the fleeing bomber was rewarded by being promoted)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Where to stick your green crew.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »

Green crew at its finest, lol

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »

True, so true, yet so funny at the same time :D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:11:27 PM »

Yeah, this is the main reason, IMO, that Talons get their asses kicked. Its not so much about their hitpoint and firepower as their incompetent aiming :D vs. that of a turreted beam. Elite Talons are actually rather effective, if you feel the risk of putting elite pilots in them...

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »

Man I had 10 to 14 talon groups rocking my last game with regular or better in them, great support, take points fast and make tacyon use easy and fun.

And I haddent bought a one of them, got most of them camping the pirate world on the return trip.

Little Bluberry Bomb

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:55:25 AM »

Personally, I prefer to just stick 'em in the empty torpedo tubes. Not quite the damage potential of a Reaper, but all the satisfaction.

I can't stand putting elite crew into fighters, myself - least of all Talons. If I'm going to have my best belting around in death buckets the least I can do is invest in a set of Xyphos. That said I rarely use fighters at all, as even with normal crew they have a habit of flying head-on into full broadsides or death circles.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:06:15 AM »

What are tou talking about, jettison green? They are still good, if you put them in a dreadnought :D

CaptanSpudsy

• Lieutenant
  • Meanwhile, in Spudland.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »

I think know why those talons were just orbiting the bomber. Unbeknownst to you, it was  a secret Tri-Tryachelon prototype that had a black hole in it, thus rendering all attacks on it useless as the interceptors would orbit forever.

Spudsy
Mjolnir Cannons and Hepatitis in the large slots.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »

or it was a double agent and you had to make his escape look good so that he could re-connect with his fleet without suspicion.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »

I can't stand putting elite crew into fighters, myself - least of all Talons. If I'm going to have my best belting around in death buckets the least I can do is invest in a set of Xyphos.

In my experience, Xyphos have a pretty similar life expectancy to Talons.  They're slower, bigger targets with about the same armor and hull.  Their weapons make so much flux that they overload their shields almost on their own and end up unable to fire back as something empties bullets/missiles into them.

Try putting Elites in Thunders or Broadswords if you want 'em to stay alive.

Little Bluberry Bomb

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:33:31 PM »

In my experience, Xyphos have a pretty similar life expectancy to Talons.  They're slower, bigger targets with about the same armor and hull.  Their weapons make so much flux that they overload their shields almost on their own and end up unable to fire back as something empties bullets/missiles into them.

Try putting Elites in Thunders or Broadswords if you want 'em to stay alive.

Interesting - I've never seen one of my Xyphos wings overloaded, let alone destroyed, although my lack of fighter use thus far may be contributing to that - I believe I've had a total of two, simply from captures. They lasted from near early-game, picking on wounded TT, all the way to the end where I started a new file.

Thunders, however, have been highly successful as well from what I've seen. Their Ion Cannons seem to be the largest factor there, however, knocking down most of their target's subsystems within moments. The difference being it takes one less pilot to field them, and trying to stack Elite squads every crewmember counts.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »

Speaking of Green crew..

I've made a slight modification to my game that in my opinion makes late game more fun.

I made regular, veteran and Elite crew cost a hell of a lot more! (also green to some extent)

Elite crew cost 1000 Each, Veteran 700, Regular 300 and Green 75.. meaning, You basically can only buy green crew.. unless your very very rich :P

It makes the game more challenging because good crew are so much harder to come by, and you will feel it when you lose a bunch..
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 07:32:48 AM »

Speaking of Green crew..

I've made a slight modification to my game that in my opinion makes late game more fun.

I made regular, veteran and Elite crew cost a hell of a lot more! (also green to some extent)

Elite crew cost 1000 Each, Veteran 700, Regular 300 and Green 75.. meaning, You basically can only buy green crew.. unless your very very rich :P

It makes the game more challenging because good crew are so much harder to come by, and you will feel it when you lose a bunch..

I really like this.

Need to do it for myself

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

Speaking of Green crew..

I really like this.

Need to do it for myself

It's actually Really really easy to do..

Find the Resources.csv inside Games\Starfarer\starfarer-core\data\campaign

And just edit the base value to whatever you'd like :)

You can also change how big stacks of each you can have.. I got annoyed by seeing 25 stacks of 500 fuel in the stores so I put the stack at 25000 :P same for supplies..

Just make backups!
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

...Elite crew cost 1000 Each, Veteran 700, Regular 300 and Green 75.. meaning, You basically can only buy green crew.. unless your very very rich :P...

Actually i got lucky, found the Tri's station, and bought 25 elites from them. So far my AI broadswords destroy everything (3 wings of them haha)