Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Odd situation with pirate with good pirate rep  (Read 1322 times)

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
Odd situation with pirate with good pirate rep
« on: November 17, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »

i am at 50 possible welcoming with pirate, how ever when i am exporeing systems this random pirate fleet attacked me, and if engage with them it will put me in hostile with the pirates? but they are the one that attacked me. and i have no option to do anything else because i just jumped in the system

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Odd situation with pirate with good pirate rep
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »

The solution is to not have your transponder on. If that is the case you will take the normal rep hit, which does not auto-howtile you. But otherwise yes. Pirates prey on pirates and will make you hostile as a result of them trying to kill you.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »

Yes, it makes no sense, but it doesn't look like pirates hating you or you losing rep because they attacked you will ever change.

Pirates never prey on other pirates.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »

I'm assuming that you dropped into a distress call event while exploring without realizing, and it rolled the "the distress call is a trap" event. If that forces a pirate attack and doesn't check for reputation first, that sounds like a bug. Big edge case, since positive pirate rep isn't really intended to be a playstyle anyway, but still a bug.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »

If you aren't supposed to be positive rep with pirates you shouldn't be able to gain rep with pirates.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:22:57 AM »

i am at 50 possible welcoming with pirate, how ever when i am exporeing systems this random pirate fleet attacked me, and if engage with them it will put me in hostile with the pirates? but they are the one that attacked me. and i have no option to do anything else because i just jumped in the system

I know exactly what happened. It might be a bug, but I can tell you the cause.

When you scav debris in empty systems sometimes you will get a different notification, a beacon or something like that is triggered (text tells you this) in the debris calling a hostile pirate fleet that will chase and attack you no matter the faction rating. You need watch for this as fighting them will destroy your rep and FYI they will chase you to other systems if you don't do a good job avoiding them. It's not a problem late game if your fleet is powerful enough because they won't engage.

You know this does seem like a bug now that I'm thinking about it.

edit:

I can't remember if ambush pirate fleets have the same issue. They are the fake distress beacon ones.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:32:55 AM by Locklave »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:44:04 AM »

Ahh! Fixed this up for the "transmitter trap" salvage special - fighting the fleets will now have a low reputation impact. The distress call trap fleets were already configured this way - well, either that, or I had already fixed them for this in-dev version.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 11:43:20 AM »

I'm assuming that you dropped into a distress call event while exploring without realizing, and it rolled the "the distress call is a trap" event. If that forces a pirate attack and doesn't check for reputation first, that sounds like a bug. Big edge case, since positive pirate rep isn't really intended to be a playstyle anyway, but still a bug.

I dont know if thats really true, considering there is special relationship text with the pirates if you manage to push them to neutral and higher

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »

I dont know if thats really true, considering there is special relationship text with the pirates if you manage to push them to neutral and higher

I agree, it clearly seems intended game play. Pirate Military markets too. Clear work went into their faction to support positive rep.