Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Red Planet C&BT  (Read 3181 times)

Zero-Radium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Red Planet C&BT
« on: November 14, 2019, 07:30:06 PM »

So, this is going to sound really dumb. But I cannot beat the ships at the red planet. On my last playthrough, I did it easily, I can't remember how I did it. It was so easy for me the first time, that I don't even remember it being a problem. Now before you ask, no I was not on the easy difficulty. And the battle size was at 300. This time around, I came rolling in with the Paragon capital ship, Doom ship, some Heron fast carriers and whatnot, thinking it would go about the same. But NOPE. No matter what I do, I just get absolutely stomped. I've read somewhere that all you have to do to cheese the AI is spam Talon and Broadsword fighters, but I'm not selling my entire fleet just to beat one fight. Can someone lay out the sauce?

Morgan Rue

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Red Planet C&BT
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »

Red Planet scales difficulty with time and level I believe.

Generally, for breaking Remnant you want a lot of heavy kinetic weapons.
Dauntless.

Zero-Radium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 03:00:04 AM »

Generally, for breaking Remnant you want a lot of heavy kinetic weapons.

Crap. I should have done this early on and cheesed it.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 03:48:59 AM »

You don't have to sell your fleet. Set up a colony, it comes with a free parking garage.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »

What's in your red planet fight? There's no special tactics needed. As far as I am concerned, if you can fight an ordos or two fleets at once, it's the same as the red planet. Is there a reason why you can't just get more and better ships?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »

Crap. I should have done this early on and cheesed it.

(It doesn't scale, btw.)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »

Does the red planet roll a different fleet each time you go there? I remember my first campaign when it existed, I went to try and beat it right when I found it and it was too difficult (early game, cruisers only, there were no radiants) so I came back later with capitals and it had two radiants. I managed to beat it, but It was a lot more difficult than I expected based on the first time I saw it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 09:51:06 AM »

It shouldn't re-roll, no. The ships all have Alphas and full weapon loadouts, though, so they're more of a challenge than it might seem at a glance compared to a similar Ordo.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 12:24:39 PM »

Red Planet fleet doesn't scale? I swear I have seen it change the defence fleet a couple of times.

Morgan Rue

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 08:03:54 PM »

Right, I'm getting my quests mixed up. Red Planet is always a bunch of big stuff, the scientist quest might scale? But not significantly enough to make it cheesable early game
Dauntless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 09:41:02 PM »

Red Planet fleet doesn't scale? I swear I have seen it change the defence fleet a couple of times.

It definitely doesn't scale, and the fleet spawns off a fixed (at Sector generation) seed, so it shouldn't change unless the Remnant faction composition (available hulls etc) changes. Which I suppose is possible in a modded game, but in vanilla it shouldn't change. But in either case, it wouldn't scale up, it would just be different.

The scientist AI core mission also doesn't scale, btw. At this point no enemy fleets scale with player level, though some pirate stuff scales with *time* over the first cycle or two of the game.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 03:34:10 AM »

it's hard to argue with developer, but few versions ago it had scaled just like derelicts with amount of derelict ships destroyed.
also few versions ago that fleet had regeneration and it was impossible to defeat it in multiple turns, as it replenish itself really fast, faster then player can.

probably changed in current version.