Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Player, Officer, and Combat Readiness Suggestions  (Read 684 times)

Trensicourt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Player, Officer, and Combat Readiness Suggestions
« on: November 13, 2019, 06:40:03 AM »

The player can have different levels of command experience. This can be increased by story points. If you don't know what story points are, read Alex's blog post.

[Ship class] - [Officer Rank] - [Player Faction Name]/[Example: Tri-Tachyon Name]
Frigate - Junior Officer - Lieutenant / Security Officer
Destroyer - Senior Officer - Captain / Senior Security Officer
Cruiser - Junior Commander - Major / Security Supervisor
Capital - Senior Commander - Admiral / Executive

Officers have a skill called Ship Command. Each time an Officer levels up, the player can choose to increase the ship class that an Officer can command without penalty.

If an officer does not have the experience to command a ship, then the ship will suffer combat readiness penalties. The math is -5% max CR penalty times the difference in rank for the ship class standard for the officer.

On the other hand, if an officer has more than ample experience, then the ship will gain combat readiness bonuses. The math is +5% max CR bonus times the difference in rank for the ship class standard for the officer.

If the player has too many officers, then the fleet as a whole will suffer combat readiness penalties. This is determined by the player's commanding skill from level 1 to level X.

Each level increase in Commanding Level increases the amount of officers by 1. The player at level 1 starts with 1 available officer, meaning at level 10, the player can have 10 officers without penalty.

The player can appoint more officers than the commanding level, but will suffer combat readiness penalties. For each officer exceeding the penalty, the fleet will suffer -5% max CR limit.

I may expand on this post in the future but I'd like to hear people's opinion on what I have so far.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Player, Officer, and Combat Readiness Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 07:25:09 AM »

No thank you, too much bother. I don't want to micromanage people to their positons to the level of their experience in a game. Does there need to be another level of complexity to managing officers?

The player already have a "Commanding Level" already. Not sure how you missed it.

Trensicourt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 12:33:43 PM »

I know the player has commanding level. I'm saying that gets changed to be something more akin to what I want. I don't think the micromanagement is difficult. It's basic math. Officer in too big of a ship ship, get a penalty. One more officer than usual, penalty. Vice versa, bonus and bonus. That is simple. Further, this system can work in conjunction with auto-assign and that officer would go to one that is the most appropriate. Complexity wise, this is really nothing imo. I think the big issue with officer micromanagement are that skills have to manually implemented. If there were a skill plan path for an officer, that would remove 90% of the micromanagement you're annoyed about. Further, my suggestion would support Alex's idea of smaller ships being more relevant late game. The officers you'll have by the late game with my suggestion would have high CR bonuses, making them more effective than if they were placed on larger ships. This solves an innate problem without blatantly giving all frigates a bonus.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »

I never wrote that the micromanagement is difficult to understand. I said it was a bother. A bother to micromanage. Assuming that non-officered ships has the same CR attribute changes as it would had with the lowest officer level, your suggestion is simply a CR change dependent on hull type, that changes depending on officer type. It's a rather inelegant way of giving frigates a bonus, as it is entirely dependent on the limited number of officers, and where the officers are placed, so it is likely that the frigates will never see any sort of bonus at all.