Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The Mayasura Crisis  (Read 5182 times)

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
The Mayasura Crisis
« on: November 10, 2019, 11:28:02 PM »

The Mayasura Crisis
Did you ever hear the tragedy of the Mayasura Crisis? I thought not. It’s not a story the Hegemony would tell you. It’s a tragedy told by some of the oldest people from the Persean League. Mairaath stood at the heart of the Mayasura Star System many many cycles ago...
The Mayasura System was among the greatest and richest independent polities in the Persean Sector. It was a center of Domain culture and wealth. It stood as a wall against the spread of the dangerous Hegemony influence in the pride of its mighty fleets and providing a symbol for independent worlds to have a role model on. What made the system stand out in the Persean Sector in many cycles ago was its crown planet, Mairaath, and her possessions: 3 vast arcology-stations orbiting Mairaath. The stations housed tens of millions and form the grandest keystone of the terraforming project in the Persean Sector. Mairaath became a paradise-world amidst the bountiful fertile plains of robot-tended agriculture. It was a grand success. If anything, this was an example of Domain technology at its pristine condition. It stood the test of the post-Collapse time. Where other worlds would have starved, Mairaath stood as a city on a hill until... the Mayasura Crisis.

Communication Channel at the Stations: c+82.10
"Have you heard about the MNN's recent news today?"
"Yeah, what about it?"
"Don't you think it's crazy that you know this that this so-called successor to Domain authority keeps trying to force us to join them? That if we continue resisting, 'we'll pay for our ignorance.' Is that some crazy talk or what? Even negotiations between our governments have broken down and have even refused to meet with one another."
"So what about it? What do you think the Hegemony is going to do? It's suicide for them to commence a full-stage invasion. Do you not see our star fortresses that protect our system, our mighty fleet that we pride upon with one of the best heavy fighters in the system? What do you think the Hegemony has that we don't have? We have more than everything than what the Hegemony can ever provide."
"This doesn't leave the room, but I've heard rumors between the other systems of forming a coalition against Hegemony. A unified front once and for all to stop this Domain imposing menace once and for all. We no longer have to negotiate with these dictators."
"Well, that's the last of the trade convoy scheduled. I'm certain that with all the vast trade networks we have we ca- wait hold on what's that in our scanners? Station Defense to Central Command, we have an unidentified capital ship approaching us over."
"I see it in our scope now, it's a Prometheus tanker! Send a communication to them, we will fire if they do not turn."
"Unidentified ship, turn on your transponder and turn your ship around. You have not been not granted clearance for docking. We will fire if you do not comply.
"I'm getting nothing here, they're not sending any communications back. Wait. Hold on the speed of that capital ship, it's accelerating! Central Command hasn't responded yet.
"Screw this. This is Station Defense Platform G to all Defense Platforms, commence fire on the hostile Prometheus tanker. Fire at will.
"Fire at will!"
"What's the issue here? Are our weapons down? Why aren't the other Defense Platforms firing? Why aren't the shields turning on?"
"Why isn't anyone seeing this?! Station Defense to Central Command! Defense Platform! Anyone?! What's the issue here?! This tanker is going to- BRACE FOR IMPA-

That's all there was. An instant whiteness in the sky. Radiation levels within the first station skyrocketed beyond what the scale could record.

The second station had its thruster turn against itself, with multiple safety systems in the station rendered ineffective and operable. The inhabitants of the station realized their demise. This wasn't an accident. There was nothing that could be done to stop the second station from thrusting toward Mairaath until Mairaath's gravity pulled the station toward her death.

The third station's thrusters begin to turn against itself until it was destroyed by the Mayasurian Admiral to stop the third station from impacting Mairaath. The bulk of the navy had to use their own ships in a suicide matter to keep the station in orbit. but it was too late. Inside the third station, safety systems were infinitely rebooting itself and the radiation shielding of the station has failed its inhabitants. The horrors of radiation poisoning began in the third station.

Over a few days, the bulk of the few surviving Mayasurian Navy stood by to watch offering a somewhat protection over Mairaath and awaiting relief fleets, until...

Hegemony-identified ships begin to appear on the outskirt of the system. The Mayasurians knew there was no need for communications. This was the last hurrah for the Mayasurians. This was their last stand. The Mayasurians were initially gaining a tactical advantage and trading effectively until the venerable HSS Naga Onslaught under the experienced Commodore Jensulte finally entered the battle and decisively ended the Mayasurians once and for all in the Persean Sector. The crisis has then been "resolved." According to Hegemony authorities,

Quote from: Hegemony's Source
During Cycle 82, the Mayasura Star System was on the verge of decivilization. Its military commanders had been attempting to coup the Mairaath's government. This was evident when observing the third station was being fired on by Mayasurian weapons. Commodore Jensulte was dispatched to handle the situation in restoring law and order to the system by whatever means necessary.

Unencrypted Sector-wide Broadcast
Only through the righteous shall Good destroy Evil. Only through violence will humanity's hubris and rebellion against God be swept in redemption. The Mayasura System is a reminder to all that Mairaath was the first, not the last of Ludd's redemptions of mankind.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:24:19 AM by Techpriest »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Mayasura Crisis
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 03:19:41 AM »

This is cool as hell, thanks!

You'd have though that the hegemony might commit a larger fleet to this battle, but I guess their intelligence told them not to worry...

If it wasn't for the path I'd actually agree with many of the luddites ideas of a lower tech existence in the face of dehumanising automation and technology replacing the human from the system. But man, that world didn't deserve that.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:47:43 PM »

Noice
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Supplius Maximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 07:10:48 AM »

You'd have though that the hegemony might commit a larger fleet to this battle, but I guess their intelligence told them not to worry...

If it wasn't for the path I'd actually agree with many of the luddites ideas of a lower tech existence in the face of dehumanising automation and technology replacing the human from the system. But man, that world didn't deserve that.

The only low tech existence I'll accept is one inside the command bridge of an Onslaught, Luddite!

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »

The only low tech existence I'll accept is one inside the command bridge of an Onslaught, Luddite!

To be fair, even the church uses legions.

Lorant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 02:28:42 AM »

Always one of my favorite Starsector stories. How do we all reckon Mairaath being a part of the Persean League at game start? Maybe the Hegemony never intended to conquer Mairaath, and it was a purely punitive expedition. Alternatively, maybe they did intend to annex Mairaath, but the ruination of the world was too extensive to govern so they merely patched a few things up on a modest, inadequate humanitarian effort before withdrawing. And down the line, in a rare feat of League unity and even rarer altruism, the Persean League lead a cycles-long stabilization mission which lead to the Mairaath becoming a full-member planet.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 04:36:13 AM »

I've always seen the league as nothing more then a second hegemony in all but name.

That said this setting is seeped in references to ancient greek politics and hegemonic empires.