Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: player made ship hulls, weapons, and fighters  (Read 2283 times)

JustDoitJoe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
player made ship hulls, weapons, and fighters
« on: November 07, 2019, 02:14:46 PM »

I think it would be cool if we could make a our own weapons, ship hulls, and fighters. I would say make a system similar to the ship refit screen with the ordnance points. An example would be is you could buy a ship hull and use heavy armaments, metals, etc. to outfit the ship hull to your play-style. Same would go for weapons. For the fighters though, there should be a research station to start designing your own fighters. You could upgrade it for a certain amount of credits, then you could design your own ship frames/hulls and weapon bases from the ground up. This could also utilize blueprints. As for the AI, they could build fleets with this, but it would fit to their faction. Also, an AI hull-mod would be awesome. Trade off crew for higher maintenance cost or something along those lines. I hope more people recognize how good of a game Starsector is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: player made ship hulls, weapons, and fighters
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »

This is called 'modding' and it's super fun, you might want to try it.

JustDoitJoe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 11:08:50 PM »

Can we also add "have the game cure cancer" to the list while we're talking unrealistic features? :P

Its unrealistic if you think it is

JustDoitJoe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 11:15:44 PM »

I am not very good at explaining things. Sorry that my message wasn't clear. I am not the average player of starsector, I just got the game. I personally enjoy when you can make your own content. My excuse for being ignorant is I am young. I have a bunch of mods installed including Nex. FYI, I am new to posting on forums.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:17:44 PM by JustDoitJoe »

RogueVector

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 12:52:09 PM »

I am not totally against this idea, though maybe not as extreme as JustDoitJoe might have thought of initially.

Make it something you can add to a colony orbital; a refit yard or similar, that lets you change the types of mounts that you can fit onto a ship.

However, given the way I suspect the game is coded (all ships draw from a hard coded base chassis), customization of a ship such as modifying mounts etc. would require a lot of changes 'under the hood' to accommodate all these custom designs, and I don't think it'll be worth it vs the existing system of 'leave it for players to mod new ships into the game'.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »

I am not very good at explaining things. Sorry that my message wasn't clear. I am not the average player of starsector, I just got the game. I personally enjoy when you can make your own content. My excuse for being ignorant is I am young. I have a bunch of mods installed including Nex. FYI, I am new to posting on forums.

I personally enjoying making my own content too. That's why I made some, by making my own mod (it's the first image in my sig). I encourage you to make a mod, too! Modding is easier than it looks and pretty quick and fun when you get the hang of it. And you learn all kinds of stuff, and make weird modder friends, easily one of the best parts.

JustDoitJoe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »

I personally enjoying making my own content too. That's why I made some, by making my own mod (it's the first image in my sig). I encourage you to make a mod, too! Modding is easier than it looks and pretty quick and fun when you get the hang of it. And you learn all kinds of stuff, and make weird modder friends, easily one of the best parts.
[/quote]

Where would I go to learn to mod? Do I just go tear the game apart and listen to tutorials in the background?

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 07:54:55 AM »

Honestly it'd be cool if you could essentially customise existing hulls beyond weapons/hullmods/flux. In other words, the ship design inherits the basics of sprite, hitbox, weapon mounts, engine placements - and from there the player has points to assign to flux stats, weapon mount types, ship system, built-in hullmods, engine speed, armour, maneuverability etc.

It would bascially be in-game modding, and would require a lot of retroactive assignment of those points and determination of those base stats so it'd definitely be impractical, there's no argument about that. It'd also probably result in some pretty OP builds but I digress.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:11:41 AM »

That system already exist. In the form of Ordnance Points and Hullmods. You can assign to flux stats, built-in hullmods, engine speed, armour, maneuverability etc. The only thing mising from hullmods is ship system and weapon mount types. How would you propose changing or weapon mount type to work? It is something that drastically changes the character of a ship as well as the background story of the game.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »

Hey JustDoitJoe, welcome to the forum! The ability to customize modular ships in-game would be very cool (I'm a big fan of games that let you do that sort of thing). I'm pretty sure the developer has stated that it's very unlikely to happen though, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. On the bright side (as others have mentioned) Starsector is very mod friendly. In my opinion the easiest way to start learning how to create new ships is to download one of the simpler faction mods or ship packs and check out the files, which are almost all just images or text files (even if they have file extensions like .json, or .ship). You can open and edit the text files with any simple text editor such as notepad or notepad++. Krita, GIMP, and Paint.net are good, free options for editing ship sprites or creating new ones.