Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mine System AI behavior busted in relation to fighters.  (Read 816 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
Mine System AI behavior busted in relation to fighters.
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:22:44 AM »

Admittedly I only discovered this when trying to troubleshoot one of my own shipsystems that is an offshoot of the vanilla mine system.

But it seems like when trying to target fighters the AI will drop a mine clear in the opposite direction than would be considered sensible, or, at best, way too far away to be of any help to anyone.

The issue seems specific to fighters, beyond that I couldn't say what behavior is actually causing this.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mine System AI behavior busted in relation to fighters.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 06:26:55 AM »

It seems to be related fighter speed. In formation or regrouped, fighters are targeted accurately. When they cross some speed threshold, though, mines start appearing everywhere, but where the fighters are. If not for Doom mines' large AoE, they would have missed many times.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »

Hmm. The issue is it being careful about not spawning mines near friendly ships, which includes itself. "Will I need to/decide to unphase into the mine I just spawned" is kind of a tough call for the AI. That said, I think there's room to make it more aggressive and reduce the buffer range when looking at itself only; so - did that. Seems to be doing better with this and without adverse effects but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the report!

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »

Cool! If you're not 100% sure about it, try increasing the spawn range of the Doom's system to test, as that seems to make the issue more pronounced.

One way or the other, dropping mines behind itself helps nobody in the end :P

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:06:06 PM »

One way or the other, dropping mines behind itself helps nobody in the end :P

AI Doom may leave too much safe zone behind itself. Getting on it's tail with Afflictor/Shade then unphasing to drop own flux and wait until target fluxes out (panicked doom remains phased, yet doesn't drop mines because I'm reasonably close) is easy way to kill it.

A player would have dropped mines with razor thin margins and even risk to damage self in this situation, because otherwise Doom is guaranteed to lose.

Also, does Doom try to drop mines in trapping patterns intentionally (surround target with multiple mines deployed in quick succession), or it can only happen accidentally?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:10:58 PM by TaLaR »