Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hyperdrive v2.5.2 - A fleet ability for instant long distance travel  (Read 315021 times)

elgashin17

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Hyperdrive v2.1.1 - Fast and engaging long distance travel
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2021, 03:54:35 PM »

Is it possible to make an alternative version of the mod where the warp ability is only usable in hyperspace?
While reducing boring travel process in hyperspace is awesome,giving AI fleets a way to catch up to smaller,faster fleets seems kinda rule-breaking in vanilla. I tend to fly a hardly combat capable fleet for a while,using low detected-at range and high burn to get away. I suppose it would also change pirate/smuggler playing styles drastically,which is fine for players looking for extra gameplay changes,but I would love to have a version of this mod limited to hyperspace travel.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2021, 06:45:37 PM »

No alternative mod needed. Check out the options file  ;)
You'll want to open "HYPERDRIVE_OPTIONS.ini" which is in the mod folder and change "usableInNormalSpace" to false

elgashin17

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2021, 04:40:46 AM »

Thank you! Ive been just putting mods into folder,never thought about checking if there was a settings file ::)  Now I just need a mod that removes neutron stars and asteroid impacts to become truly happy

danando123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2021, 08:17:24 AM »

No alternative mod needed. Check out the options file  ;)
You'll want to open "HYPERDRIVE_OPTIONS.ini" which is in the mod folder and change "usableInNormalSpace" to false

Thanks, even for me, this sounds like a no brainer, too many times, i had to pull a star wars where both me and the enemies were hyperdriving everywhere in a system LMAO

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2021, 02:42:05 PM »

also revealing your identity.

does that mean that it enables the transponder?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »

It doesn't turn on your transponder, but the effect is similar to briefly switching it on and then off.

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2021, 05:19:36 PM »

so they know who you are, not only that you are there (getting tracked with transponder off)

is there a specific reason?
if you are spotet with transponder of inside the core systems the local faction will try to hunt you down. so they wont 'need' to know who you are atm ?

that's just me beeing curious what is giving off your idently (a little lore :P)

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2021, 08:50:42 AM »

new post for "after testing the mod"

very nice mod...
but getting warped at by 2-3 enemie fleets while trying to run to a hyperspace jump portal firing their inderdictions seconds later is terrifying...  :o

NICE!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2021, 11:25:43 PM »

Glad you like it  ;D
Hyperdrive reveals your identity because...
  • I don't think hyperwarping should be useful for subverting the game's stealth mechanics, since it's only intended purpose is improving quality of life.
  • It wouldn't make sense for enemy fleets to try to intercept you without knowing your affiliation.
  • Due to how the A.I. works, enemy fleets that intercept you usually won't pursue you unless they know you are an enemy.
As for lore justification? Ahhhm... drive signatures maybe?

halloween20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2021, 06:59:44 AM »

Due to how the A.I. works, enemy fleets that intercept you usually won't pursue you unless they know you are an enemy.[/li][/list]

uhm... what about being inside a system with turned off transponder...
    i know that wont solve the problem in hyperspace but inside a system "finding" you with turned off transponder will trigger them to chase you?!

Sundog

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: May 30, 2021, 07:15:54 AM »

Yes, there are many situations where fleets will pursue you even if they don't know who you are, and there are many situations where they won't. If using hyperdrive didn't reveal your identity, then many fleets (the ones that won't pursue you unless they know you're hostile) would hyperwarp to intercept you, and then immediately leave.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: June 13, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »

Yes, there are many situations where fleets will pursue you even if they don't know who you are, and there are many situations where they won't. If using hyperdrive didn't reveal your identity, then many fleets (the ones that won't pursue you unless they know you're hostile) would hyperwarp to intercept you, and then immediately leave.

Perhaps it would better to just have an activation period for the hyperdrive rather than some sort of required standoff distance from hostile fleets (a la transverse jump).  Seems kind of silly to be gunning along at 20 e-burn level to escape but you can't activate the warp drive for gameplay reasons (although I both accept and understand how having it the other way is highly exploitable).  But since I haven't really used the mod, I'm somewhat unclear how the interception works anyway...

I actually would very much like to run this mod with significantly increased jump range but only able to jump into certain systems with a much cheaper fuel cost than regular hyperspace, AND only after you have already discovered such systems (most likely a pulsar/neutron, both for lore/physics reasons as well as another tradeoff for getting much cheaper fuel requirements vs distance; but since that is already disabled by mod, prolly not).  Dunno, maybe a sub-mod would be better for this sort of belief.
    I wasn't always a Judge...

Sominar

• Ensign
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: July 01, 2021, 04:52:27 PM »

Absolutely essential mod now that I can skip the mindless travel from one side of the sector to the other if I'm too unlucky with mission locations. Although, I've found it annoying pretty quickly to need be spamming the hyperdrive key for a split second opportunity to do it within the sector since even neutral fleets cause interference. Storms don't help either since they really like to throw you off-course and risk hyperdriving 45ยบ to the side while overshooting it by a proverbial mile unless you first back off and get some speed so that you activate hyperdrive before reaching the storm.

To continue on what the last post mentioned about activation period, I've had an idea for a while that hyperdrive could also be a channeled ability that had a windup duration proportional to the distance to be traveled, during which it'd cause the sensor signal skyrocketting thing and keep you in place so as to still not be an immediate escape tool, IE keeping it to strictly a QoL ability.

Regardless, this mod is still a massive relief to see. Way too many times the game puts missions scattered all over the map that'd just take like 10mins of menial travel time you can't skip.

ceemeeoh

• Ensign
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: July 30, 2021, 05:27:44 PM »

Real talk, thank you for this mod.  There should've been something like this in the main game (Alex, seriously!  This is some chef-kiss QoL stuff). 

Although I find its power to be a bit abusive (that is, I don't think twice to use it and maybe that's too significant e.g. doesn't cost volatiles or super-stresses the ships), I do enjoy the points where I think I've escaped a rival faction only to see three fleets instantly warp to me and my inner sonar guy panics. 

Prifiglion

• Ensign
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: November 03, 2021, 06:24:28 PM »

Do I need to do some mission to get this ability? I definitely saw the AI use it, but I don't have unlocked the ability. Is it meant to be unlocked somewhere? Maybe the problem comes from other mods I have installed?
    Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13