Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hyperdrive v2.5.2 - A fleet ability for instant long distance travel  (Read 315019 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Hyperdrive 1.1.1 - Fast and engaging long distance travel
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 08:16:41 AM »

I can maybe see adjusting the visibility of the warp waves based on burn level, which would at least correlate with the use of sustained burn. I'm not sure what purpose something like that would serve though. It might be a bit confusing as well.

BoraYeou

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2020, 01:45:11 AM »

I don't know reason but it doesn't work for me. Is pressing 'w' in auto pilot activating hyperdrive? Am I understanding right? I can't see hyperwarp ability anywhere too.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2020, 04:41:58 PM »

Hey, welcome to the forum!
If your ability bar is full you might need to right-click on it in order to assign the hyperdrive ability to a slot. It looks like this:

"W" doesn't activate hyperwarp, it just reduces your speed so that you'll jump the precise distance needed in order to get to your autopilot destination.

BoraYeou

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2020, 01:03:47 AM »

Hey, welcome to the forum!
If your ability bar is full you might need to right-click on it in order to assign the hyperdrive ability to a slot. It looks like this:

"W" doesn't activate hyperwarp, it just reduces your speed so that you'll jump the precise distance needed in order to get to your autopilot destination.

Thank you! I finally and successfully activate hyperdrive! I never notice that one...Thank you again!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:16:49 AM by BoraYeou »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2020, 02:19:08 AM »

No problem  :)

Fantastic Chimni

• Commander
  • Chimni
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2020, 02:50:50 AM »

So, bit of a weird bug report. The hyperdrive is acting as a transponder.

Exploring in the fringes, transponder off since I was in the core, warp to a planet to survey. Scavs are there with a ship I want, so i go to kill them.

"They are aware of your identity, likely due to seeing you recently"

Im baffled as to how, and curious if the hyperdrive did it, so I go to a recent save, drop into the system and fly to them without using hyperdrive and they have no idea who I am.

Just to test it, I flew away and jumped back to the planet. Now they know who I am again after not knowing seconds earlier.

EDIT: I have been made aware this is a known thing and was intentional. Miiight want to list that somewhere so people dont get their rep screwed assuming their transponder is off.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:00:23 AM by Fantastic Chimni »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2020, 03:54:07 AM »

It's in the tooltip now, but it wasn't originally:

It doesn't look like the effect is described in the OP though. I'll go ahead and fix that.

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 06:23:14 PM »

Would it be possible to add an option to make the ability cost fuel while in a system? Maybe just a true/false line to make it consume the same amount as that equivalent speed would in hyperspace? I think it would be a neat balancing tool, like making fuel reserves a more important thing to keep track of, and maybe combo well with Fuel Siphoning.

Awesome mod btw, it really makes running away from enemy fleets with sustained burn cheese so much more risky. I was very surprised when the large Starlight patrol I'd just given the middle finger to suddenly appeared in front of me and politely asked me to surrender my tanker.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2020, 04:28:54 PM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback! It's certainly possible to add a setting to make the ability cost fuel outside of hyperspace, but I'm not convinced it's worth investing time into. Would it ever be worth it to warp while in system if it costs fuel, instead of just traveling normally for free?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 04:56:41 PM »

It's in the tooltip now, but it wasn't originally:

It doesn't look like the effect is described in the OP though. I'll go ahead and fix that.

Hyperdrive revealing your identity while T-off is arbitrary and goes against existing mechanics. It will confuse people and waste their time as they try to figure out wth is going on.

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 05:46:13 PM »

I think it could be. If you want to set up hyperwarp as a thing that provides immense convenience/mobility options with significant costs/downsides it could be quite a handy option. Personally I find that fuel starts to become a non-issue towards endgame, and the ability to instantly jump my lumbering megafleet damn near anywhere in a system to be a very powerful tool. An in-system fuel cost could make it more of a tactical choice than a default mode of travel.

Making the fuel cost scale with burn level rather than distance could make it work better with adjustments to the 'distance per burn level' and 'fuel consumption mult' variables as well, using the fleet's fuel/LY rating and leveraging that as part of the cost formula along with the burn level as a surrogate for distance traveled, altered by fuel mult and a separate in-system mult value. Just an idea, I have no idea how difficult it would be to actually implement.

Thematically it also kinda makes sense, as I imagine the jump is like a quick 'skip' across some surface/dimension/brane of hyperspace and thus needs fuel just like travelling through hyperspace proper. But that's just reverse-fluff for balancing mechanics :)

Personally I adjusted it to have around 1/5th the distance/burn level, 2x fuel cost, 1.5x CR cost, halved the interference effect/sensor increase and put the mission time multi at 1, again since I like the idea of it being a more tactical maneuver than a fast travel ability. I still find it a very useful tool, as does the AI  :o

edit: kinda been playing around with the settings, looks like with the settings described above (+ a 1.5x interdict range interference, ~1.5k sensor profile increase and 1.5x fuel cost) it works as both a costly fast travel method (about 2x faster than normal at 20 burn) and a cool tactical ability. An in-system fuel cost I think would really give it that useful-but-risky/costly feeling. It feels like a dangerous high level navigation thing that crappy sector ships are just not designed or equipped to do constantly. Also agree with SafariJohn about the transponder-off identification not making much sense. I think that patrols detecting a huge signal spike from a t-off warping fleet should set off enough alarm bells without that fleet being immediately identified. But maybe it also makes sense given the huge distance it normally allows you to travel. Perhaps that could also be a settings option?

edit 2: sorry for all the words.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:03:26 PM by PreConceptor »

Seldion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 12:15:55 AM »

I love the Idea of this mod, and I understand that it is for balancing issues and such but to me, the supply cost and CR reduction, I can not understand, I understand with emergency burn its a sudden order, super fast acceleration that no one is prepared for, but when ordering your fleet into Hyper-drive there is a charge up period that everyone can be ready for and thus shouldn't reduce CR as the whole point of Hyper-Driver is to save time, thus saving supplies.

dimzki

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 02:13:14 AM »

I don't know reason but it doesn't work for me. Is pressing 'w' in auto pilot activating hyperdrive? Am I understanding right? I can't see hyperwarp ability anywhere too.

1. there's a minimal distance between your destination and your fleet, if it's too close it wont work
2. when pressing W there's 2 state: A) you slowing down to match the distance between you and the destination for the calculation (you will overshoot if the distance is short while you're on full speed and B) resuming to the maximum burn speed (basically deactivating distance tracker for hyperdrive)
3. after your burn level is adjusted to the destination distance, press the ability when it's possible (will not possible if there's another faction fleet nearby)

i've been enjoying this mod very much,
although sometimes the fleet moved a bit weird after jumping (not all the time)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »

Hyperdrive revealing your identity while T-off is arbitrary and goes against existing mechanics. It will confuse people and waste their time as they try to figure out wth is going on.
I agree with most of that, but it isn't arbitrary. It's an unfortunate necessity. If using hyperdrive didn't reveal your identity, then enemy AI fleets that jump to intercept you would rarely realize they want to attack you (since they probably won't know your faction), and end up just going back to what they were doing before. I know it's not ideal, but I've considered several alternatives and I think it's the best I can do.

Personally I adjusted it to have around 1/5th the distance/burn level, 2x fuel cost, 1.5x CR cost, halved the interference effect/sensor increase and put the mission time multi at 1, again since I like the idea of it being a more tactical maneuver than a fast travel ability. I still find it a very useful tool, as does the AI  :o
Ah, ok. Your suggestion makes a lot more sense in the context of configuring hyperdrive to be a tactical ability rather than a QoL one. I certainly didn't plan for the ability to be used that way (in fact I put a lot of thought into making it as tactically useless as possible), but I guess it could work that way with the right settings. I'll see what I can do about adding that option. Just added it to the list. It shouldn't be a problem, but no promises.

I love the Idea of this mod, and I understand that it is for balancing issues and such but to me, the supply cost and CR reduction, I can not understand, I understand with emergency burn its a sudden order, super fast acceleration that no one is prepared for, but when ordering your fleet into Hyper-drive there is a charge up period that everyone can be ready for and thus shouldn't reduce CR as the whole point of Hyper-Driver is to save time, thus saving supplies.
I guess I just assume that opening a hole in spacetime and traveling through it would cause some systems on ships to be damaged, or at least wear out. But eh, it's all wildly speculative anyway.

i've been enjoying this mod very much,
although sometimes the fleet moved a bit weird after jumping (not all the time)
Glad you've been enjoying it  ;D
What kind of weird movement are you seeing?
Also, thanks for answering that question!

Shuka

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »

Thanks Dimzski for the breakdown, it took me awhile to figure out exactly what W did despite it being so obvious.

I don't mind hyperdrive revealing my identity, I just didn't realize it worked like that and wondered why entities knew who I was. I'm seeing a pattern of bad reading comprehension on my part maybe? lol

It can be used tactically by the AI and sometimes really helps their fleets defend a location no matter how I try and lure them away. I see this as intelligent behavior and think its great. I haven't had trouble avoiding fleets that jump on me. Effective but inaccurate, lots of close calls but still feel in control of the situation. 

I think the weird fleet movement dimzski referenced might be the animation. Like I can see the waves animation but the fleet hasn't appeared on sensors, and when the fleet enters sensor range it is not where I assumed it would appear according to the animation. I view it as an anomaly of warp travel.

I thought this mod would cheapen the experience but actually really enjoying it and think it adds to the game rather than subtracts. Good work man.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13