Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: pilum + razorback = cheese  (Read 3606 times)

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
pilum + razorback = cheese
« on: November 01, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »

i used to go with a crap tonne of vigilants &/or buffalo mk2s (both really low deployment cost medium missile boats)
i also needed to go with a tonne of officers...
both of which meant i needed to tweak the settings.json pretty hard.

now though, i find 15 razorbacks just on this side of total cheese.

i've flipped back and forth between vanilla pilum and the mod for it and i'm still on the fence which one makes the game more fun (and eliminates the grind bits)...both forms are equally deadly enmasse.

i don't think it's THAT op because when facing high tech forces with competent PD and a very aggressive one at that, i'll get my razorbacks scattered to back and beyond and focus fire becomes non existent.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: pilum + razorback = cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 12:03:17 PM »

I love that this game lets players try out absurd meme strategies, and they even sometimes work.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »

What do you mean by meme strategies? It's just a strategy for a fleet build. What do memes have to do with it?

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 01:11:49 PM »

I'm sure those missiles will do a ton of damage when they reach the enemy in a few years

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 01:43:45 PM »

What do you mean by meme strategies? It's just a strategy for a fleet build. What do memes have to do with it?

Beside obviously being slow, Pilums also have joke levels of missile hp. Any pd clears them with like 1/10th of OP investment.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »

with vanilla slow they become way more accurate. the sheer amount of them can swarm even the best pd armed ship. with 15 razorbacks (or thirty buffalos/vigilance) you're looking at ninety pilum missiles bearing down on a target - not like that would happen everytime. add in those fast attack cruisers with 4 medium missiles each, plus the 5 missiles on the large battleship.

i tried it without the pilum mod and it's actually way more cheesy vanilla style since the zergling swarm becomes really nimble. you see, most of the problems with a modded fast pilum is the amount of misses it does and then loses fuel.

EDIT: just did a playthrough of a single battle using modded and vanilla pilums...the latter felt like shooting fish in a barrel. I think the only reason i'd go back to vanilla is if it gave me a better challenge vs stations.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:39:39 PM by majorfreak »

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 07:24:58 PM »

i'd edit the above, but this is weighty enough to add as a new bit:  i just tried vanilla pilums with the above fleet deployment and the sheer weight of fire (the slower the more tightly packed echelons) combined with the swift elimination of flanking frigates who tend to distract the modded pilums alot more means that the battle station (the massive midlines with numerous PD emplacements) went down a hell of a lot faster and it didn't seem as much fun.

it's interesting. you'd think main theme of "faster" would equal a 'cheat' but from here it doesn't really feel like it at all.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

I'm sure those missiles will do a ton of damage when they reach the enemy in a few years
level 1 missile skill in the officers plus the ECCM mean even vanilla missiles move at a respectable pace ...they might even be faster - vanilla - than those energy torpedos (purple i think and went sinuous towards the enemy...it's been a while since i used them)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 08:46:25 PM »

Aww man, another player using all female officer avatars... ;D

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 08:49:01 PM »

Beside obviously being slow, Pilums also have joke levels of missile hp. Any pd clears them with like 1/10th of OP investment.
the only thing that eats 141 vanilla pilums in a single volley from the above deployment (eccm + missile skill on the officers) are the blade breaker guardians. so the slower speed and "joke" hp might surprise you.

goduranus: hey, stay away from my harem. lol
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:50:52 PM by majorfreak »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 04:26:37 AM »

So meme strategy = joke strategy? Somehow I doubt that is what he meant.

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 04:58:45 AM »

Ahha, have to say it is really hard for most  of people to image when thousands of pilums get missile skill & ECCM support are approaching, what will happen. Because their officer number is limit in 10. ;)

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 05:14:20 AM »

I like mass Pilums but they do stack better as a screen for carriers and other missile types.

Could be better though.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 05:33:36 AM »

Aww man, another player using all female officer avatars... ;D

That harem might be more dangerous than it look. If he removed the officer limit, he could have also remove the ship limit. 100+ razorbacks? I mean why not?  ???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:07:15 AM by kenwth81 »

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »

This sums up my thoughts rather well on the matter.
Pages: [1] 2